[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 39 KB, 556x517, cast_iron_skyrim.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19611658 No.19611658 [Reply] [Original]

what's the deal with these things? Some say never to wash them using dish soap, other's say it still leaves the seasoning intact. If I can't wash it with soap, then how do I prevent bacteria from growing after each cook?

>> No.19611667

>>19611658
did you really start this thread with a skyrim cast iron pot

>> No.19611676

>>19611658
I made chuck steaks in my CI skillet one time and the next morning when I made eggs they had a slightly steak-ish tinge as regards odor & taste. From then on I wasn’t hesitant to use soap on my cast iron when adjuged to be necessary.

>> No.19611686

>>19611658
>If I can't wash it with soap, then how do I prevent bacteria from growing after each cook?
There's this thing called heat. Also it's fine to use modern dish soap. It's very gentle and won't do anything to the seasoning.

>> No.19611739

>>19611658
It's been at least one hour since the last cast iron thread. Submarine Submarine Submarine!

>> No.19612833

Modern dish washing "soaps" are actually detergents. Real soap can mess with seasonings because of the lye. Wash your pan if you want.

>> No.19612856

Dont mind the filthy retards telling you not to wash. You always wash everything to squaky cleanliness in the kitchen. If you use cast iron, you clean it, reseason it and put on the stove for a couple minutes to evaporate every drop of water left.

>> No.19612865

>>19611658
When your great grandma was cooking in cast iron, soap contained lye which ruined seasoning. Modern dish soap does not contain lye. You'll be fine.

>> No.19612866

>>19611658
>Cook food in cast iron
>Scrub and rinse with hot water
>Heat and dry on burner
>Apply thin layer of oil
>Continue heating until oil begins to smoke
>Let it cool then apply another thin layer of oil and put away
People who sperg out and claim this is too complicated should probably just stick to frozen TV dinners.

>> No.19612963

>>19611658
I let water soak, I use soap, I use an iron scrub, thick grain salt for stubborn shit. If the base seasoning is good then there's no real concern.

>> No.19612983

>>19611658
by heating it up before and after each use to kill the bacteria. Also you can clean it pretty thuroughly without using soap.

>> No.19612984

>>19611658
People have such weird conceptions about cleanliness when it comes to dishes and cookware. It's like they see everything as contaminated by default unless sterilized, while it's the opposite - it's clean unless it's contaminated.

Harmful bacteria doesn't just grow out of nowhere. Bacteria are organisms, just like us they need three things to grow - air, moisture and food. They are not going to grow on and colonize your bone dry empty pan. You could get away with cleaning most of your dishes without soap and instead just rinsing off any dirt with hot water and drying them. If there is no food on your dish and no moisture, bacteria won't grow on there. The only time you really need soap is if your dish or cookware has come into contact with harmful bacteria that was already there, i.e. the knife and chopping board you use to chop raw meat, or a dish you've left out with food residue on it therefore giving bacteria a chance to grow.

>> No.19612991

>>19612866
It isn't complicated as in challenging but it is a pain in the ass to have to do that every time you cook something, especially when a stainless steel pan and a non-stick pan will cover you for the vast majority of applications.

>> No.19613018

>>19611658
You can wash CI with soap without ruining the seasoning. Just don't soak it for long periods of time because you're too lazy to scrub it because you were too lazy to wash it after cooking in it a week ago.

>> No.19613475

>>19611658
Old soap had lye which destroys organic material (seasoning) apparently modern soap is fine although the one time I tried using it I did lose seasoning quite quickly.
Just wash with boiling water, pour it out and then heat the pan to evaporate any moisture.

>> No.19613485

If you cook hot at fuck everything dies anyway. I never wash my pans, even non-cast iron.
Just don't leave them for weeks without cooking or you'll end up eating mold.

>> No.19613509

Soap and sponge or whatever. Re-season when it wears off. Don't let it get caked in shit just because of seasoning-autism.

>> No.19613521

>>19612991
You dont have to, do you really think people did that every single time?
They obviously didnt, if you want you can just leave it dirty and come back to it a little while later and clean it but it could be harder to clean.

>> No.19613531

>>19611658
Traditionally, in the southern US at least, you'd use the iron skillet for your bacon and eggs or what have you, then later you would cook whatever else with your bacon drippings if you wanted, then finally you'd make cornbread, which when it comes out has soaked up the bacon drippings and leaves the pan more or less clean.

Granted, if you cooked some shit that made a mess of things that doesn't really work, and obviously you can wash it and soap is fine. The majority of my cleaning though just consists of scraping it out with a metal spatula, removing any burnt on crap or whatever then it's good to go unless I've cooked something strongly seasoned in which case I'll wash it, though if it's greasy very hot whatever is usually sufficient but I mostly do that because I'm lazy and can't be bothered with soap and a sponge lol. I use soap though if I've made curry or something though because that flavor will definitely carry over otherwise though curry eggs aren't that bad.
Anyway, the main point is just use the fuck out of it, don't treat it like some special single use item and baby it. Just cook everything on it every day and it'll be great.

>> No.19613553
File: 51 KB, 360x480, sunflower.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19611658
The soap does wear on the seasoning. However, the seasoning is gonna be gradually worn down anyway, so you're not doing any damage, you're just probably gonna have to reseason a little sooner than if you didn't use soap. Personally I use soap for anything that's a hassle to get out without it.

>> No.19613575

>>19611658
Soap can strip the seasoning but you can get it back by just cooking in it again later. I wash my CI with dish soap and a scrubber all the time. Works fine