[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 100 KB, 1000x562, Bun-Bo-Hue-46.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19506108 No.19506108 [Reply] [Original]

Do you ever order something on a whim without knowing what it is? I got bun bo hue from a local Vietnamese place and it was terrific. The pork meatloaf slices in it were really good and the lemongrass went with it phenomenally. First time actually ordering pho. Normally I get com tam broken rice dishes or curry

>> No.19506115

>>19506108
what did the curry taste like? I have not tried curry at a Vietnamese place

>> No.19506180

>>19506108
When I order bun bo hue for the first time, I made a mistake and put the extra chilis in it that they have on the table prior to tasting it on its own.
My asshole was on fire that evening.
But yes I order random foods all the time.
Been a bit surprised when I ordered bun nem and got what was basically the salad mix with the sauce and spring rolls in it.
I was delicious.

>> No.19506184

>>19506108
at the very least i would have googled it online and got a gist of what it is

>> No.19506187

>>19506108
>bun bo hue from a local Vietnamese

its irritating to me ordering something like that from an asian place because I pronounce the dish one way and then the autistic girl behind the counter pronounces it an entirely different way trying to correct me like she's better than me

>> No.19506200

>>19506187
She is better than you

>> No.19506225

>>19506108
>pork meatloaf slices
Are you talking about the coagulated blood?

>> No.19506235

>>19506187
>I pronounce the dish one way and then the autistic girl behind the counter pronounces it an entirely different way trying to correct me like she's better than me

So what, you wanted her to intentionally mispronounce something, just so it's less grating for your lily white ears? She should pretend you're pronouncing it correctly, just to avoid offending you? Cuz that's what I do lol.

>t. Asian but I always use the white people pronunciations of Asian words when speaking to you guys for this exact reason. Also it feels super try hard using the correct tones/pronunciations when I'm talking to someone who doesn't speak the language. No reason to make them feel any more uncomfortable than they probably already are.

There's this Mexican guy on the food network who's hosted a few shows/been a judge for chopped and other shows, and he always pronounces 'chilies' like 'chee-lays'. I have aspired my entire life to not be like that guy, because I saw how uncomfortable it made this innocent white restaurant owner he was interviewing. I vowed to not let people feel that way if at all possible.

>> No.19506240

>>19506200
>She is better than you

i work for a particular delivery app where they have to read my phone sometimes. once the asian girl manager grabbed my phone from me and someone called while she had it. she declined the phone call right in front of me. I thought wow she's such a bitch.

>> No.19506254

>>19506235
Pronunciation is a lot of stuff mixed in one. I think oral/vocal posture has a lot to do with the cringe.
While speaking aloud an English language sentence, a white girl from Calgary, Alberta can say "guacamole" with a decent amount of phonetic accuracy and NOT attempt to sound like a native speaker at the same time by trying to imitate Mexican Spanish oral posture. This will generally be just fine.
A Japanese-American guy can say "yakiniku" with a decent amount of phonetic accuracy (and even get the pitch accents or whatever the fuck in Japanese correct!) but ALSO imitate the oral posture of a native Japanese speaker, and that will trigger something in a lot of people.

Regarding oral posture, no one says Gewürztraminer or Saeurkraut or the lastname Gross (groß) like people from DACH-L countries, no one says pierogi like the Polish (they don't give a fuck), no one says Chinese lastnames or President Xi Jinping or Huawei or Xiaomi correctly (they also don't give a fuck. not even mentioning phonetics and pīnyīn), so I think at the very least, Mexicans living in the first-world Western Anglosphere who are proud of their language can find a compromise between everyone.

>> No.19506585

>>19506108
>order something on a whim without knowing what it is
People have been suggesting bun bo hue in every pho/Vietnamese food thread since the beginning of time.

>> No.19506591

>>19506108
My favourite Chinese restaurant has a western menu and a traditional Chinese menu with vague translations for what the stuff is. I had a dish that was “pork in spring onion”. The waitress warned me it wasn’t to western tastes but I insisted and ordered it, thinking perhaps it would just be on the spicy side. I was wrong and I should have listened to her. Pretty sure it was intestine, it was absolutely revolting and I couldn’t manage more than one bite.

I’ll stick to the crispy aromatic duck and sweet and sour king prawns in future.

>> No.19506666

>>19506187
like BUN BOWL WEIGH?

>> No.19506709

>>19506235
It doesn't really matter. I'd rather you correct me than have me believe that I'm pronouncing it correctly. It's not going to ruin my day if I pronounced a foreign word improperly, and I'd rather know how to pronounce it in the future than continue to embarrass myself. That anon is just an easily offended autist.

>> No.19506749

>>19506108
i did this recently at a mexican restaurant. menudo tastes awful. they advertised it as 'beef soup' which isnt wrong but its the opposite texture that i expected. cow stomach is chewy as fuck with a cat tongue like texture. it was a large neverending bowl with big fat chunks of tripe and i finished it because i spent 15 dollars. adventurous spirit isnt tamed but im not going to forget menudo

>> No.19506818

>>19506115
A lot more fish sauce like but in a very good way, reminded me more of an Indian curry at points but with Thai notes

>> No.19506826
File: 323 KB, 615x618, Screenshot_20230718-124839~2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19506235
>chee-la KEE-LAYS

>> No.19506832

>>19506591
Yeah I stopped being interested in "the authentic thing" once I realized it was third worlders who were just nostalgic for the taste of offal tripe and other shit tasting parts of the animal.
Did you send it back anyway? They were probably so pissed

>> No.19506845

>>19506591
was it this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/chinesecooking/comments/11ye81d/pork_intestine_with_spring_onion_and_ginger/

>> No.19506867

>>19506832
I didn’t send it back as in all fairness the waitress warned me not to get it.

>>19506845
Well, not that specific one (I’m not a Redditfag) but it looked similar. The menu didn’t mention intestines though.

>> No.19508568

>>19506832
the level of authentic you want is "stuff that expats my age like". both conditions are necessary to not get trolled by something gross.

>> No.19509307

>>19506108
>First time actually ordering pho
It's not. It's bun bo hue, we Vietnamese have many kinds of noodle soups

>> No.19509310

>>19506108
the prawn crackers are pretty good
Vietnamese women are a nightmare tho

>> No.19509315

>>19506240
Maybe don't be taking personal phone calls while you're on the job, drive boy. Now bring me my slop on your little cart before I cancel, chop chop.

If you wanted respect maybe you should have at least tried a real job.

>> No.19509320

>>19506108
When I was in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand I would just randomly point at the menu and test my luck.

>> No.19509344

>>19506108
Can't say I ever have. I've always either knew what all the dishes were or had someone to tell me what they were.
The only exception was when my now wife used to work at a Thai restaurant and said I'd love (I dunno how to spell it) "mee-crahb". She never told me what it was at the time, and only after I demolished a good portion of the platter did she explain it's just finely minced shrimp and chicken cooked in a soy based sauce. She taught me how to eat it too, you take a lettuce leaf, load it with a bit of the shrimp/chicken shit, and top it off with some crunchy fried rice noodles. I fondly call them Thai tacos.
I love my wife very much. Chubby SE Asian girls are fantastic.
She quickly learned I love curry, but am not a fan of how thin Thai curry is, so she'd often bring home a to-go container of the red one with rice & potatoes mixed in since I'm a potatonigger.
Let me tell you lads, Asian women? They LOVE gingers. Red hair and freckles are exotic to them.

>> No.19509504

Fuckno for meats, but I'm sure I've blind tried pastas, dumplings, breads, etc.

Oh, I blind ordered this one dish that was some weirdass dessert that was just melted caramel drizzled on on bits of apple, cheese, and other junk once. That shit was fun and amazingly balanced.

>> No.19509624

>>19506108
I have before but don't recall what.