[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 152 KB, 1599x899, laverly.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19324533 No.19324533 [Reply] [Original]

Taken to grabbing laver down the beach and trying to make up some recipes for laverbread - incredibly uncommon Welsh food, most of which just makes a gross pile of seaweed

my current iteration is;
seaweed slowcooked over night
toasted oats, garlic, diced onions and grated cheese into cakes

It's at the point I'd recommend as its fucking free, you only need two handfulls of the stuff for like 5-6 cakes. Dont eat more than a palm sized cake a day, your body has never dealt with Iodine levels like this. We're talking alien dog farts, completely unknown smells. You could trick your partner into thinking that your dog is dying.

fry a cake up to crisp both sides in the morning. I do believe I'm probably one of the few people in Scotland who is not Iodine deficient, this shits pretty good and as its free would recommend

Anyone tried anything with it? Having some fat (cheese) in it really made it along with bothering to toast the oats first

>> No.19324548

>>19324533
I'm pretty sure you're going to get sick. You even admitted iodine levels. Go to the store for food not the shore

>> No.19324590
File: 941 KB, 1944x2592, IMG_20230529_145443539.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19324548

"Go to the store for food not the shore"

Your level of cuisine casualness offends me. Not only will I eat the seaweed, I'll eat the welks, limpets and all the wild garlic. What sort of quality can I expect in a fucking "store" if it was popular they'd find a way to add rapeseed oil or palm oil.

Nori in ASDA (Nori is Laver)
(£17.27/100g)

£170 per kg

Its literally free

Also I'm already sick.

>> No.19325608

>>19324533
>scotland
nice to know i'm not alone on this board
>seaweed from shore
>spring onions in water
based poorfag

>> No.19325888

based, I always wondered why so few cultures eat seaweed. are there any others besides japanese and the welsh?

>> No.19325912

>>19324548
I don't know if you know this, and I don't want to put you off your food, but the stuff in the store actually starts out outside. Like they grow the vegetables in the dirt, meat is from animals that live in barns and stuff like that. What kind of brain damage do you need to have to be afraid to eat food you collected yourself?

>> No.19325935
File: 130 KB, 700x525, seagrass.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19325888
koreans, they call it gim. Asians all dry it out into sheets for stocks / sushi. Ive tried it, just chuck it in the oven at low temp. Its ok but mild as a stock additive, your fav fish sauce is going to add way more funk. Their consumption of seaweed makes them some of the only people on the planet with proper iodine levels.

Seagrass or "gutweed" is the bright green fluffy one. It can just be cleaned then fried with oil and salted for classic crunchy seaweed but it has that distinct taste which I presume some people are fond of.

On researching I've seen that its big business in the making, all the large salmon farms in UK are applying for seaweed licences to farm offshore next to their existing premises. The seaweed consumes biproducts from the fisheries and as you can see by the price of nori, is worth a shit ton. Supplement powders, animal feeds and probably a food bulking agent of the future for your soylent diet.