[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 96 KB, 800x1200, Butter-Chicken-IMAGE-64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19226596 No.19226596 [Reply] [Original]

I use chicken breast and I usually add a bell pepper and puree with it. I don't bother straining the dish as I do prefer fiber.

I don't really add fenugreek/kasoori methi or cashews since I usually don't have these ingredients. Can celery leaves or almonds work instead?

>> No.19226619

>>19226596
If you want a very good authentic recipe, then use this one by Maunika Gowardhan,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JKs-cRneTyE

Bell pepper does not belong in butter chicken, and fenugreek leaves are important and unique, you can’t substitute them. Just buy some dried ones online.

>> No.19226631

>>19226596
no, you need fenugreek
go to a hippie mart, they have it

>> No.19226674

>>19226619
i initially add bell pepper because i thought it would add a nice tangy touch
and i don't really think it's worth purchasing fenugreek just for the purpose of this recipe; i just use cilantro in the end

as someone of south asian descent i generally don't try to make authentic restaurant-style butter chicken, but still in the realms of the guidelines

>> No.19226686

Why the fuck would you use breasts over thighs?

>> No.19226693

>>19226686
because i think the firmer texture would make a good balance for an already very rich dish
thighs seem overkill to me

>> No.19226700

>>19226674
Butter chicken is one of the worst curries and I say this as desi. Why would you even want to learn this when you're willingly butchering the recipe and when there's also so many more delicious alternative curries to make instead that's similar and way easier

>> No.19226711

>>19226700
I'm not intending to learn
I'm intending to hear how others make it

Is chicken tikka masala any better or different? I just know that it's really more of a british dish as much as it is indian.

>> No.19226745

>>19226711
Indian curry as you know it is an entirely British invention

>> No.19226772

>>19226711
Never tried chicken tikka masala but it's probably the most similar to butter chicken since they're really creamy and more western. I've only had butter chicken once in my life and that's because in my family we just don't eat it and most have never heard of it.

In my opinion more simpler stuff you should try instead are karahi, chicken masala, or achari chicken. Less creamier but you could always just add more yogurt and tomatoes

>> No.19226774

>>19226674
Have you ever actually tried butter chicken? I think your idea of what it should taste like is completely off if you think bell pepper belongs in it, or somehow improves the flavour.

Fenugreek is a very unique herb that doesn’t have a herbal flavour like cilantro/coriander. They’re realms apart. Instead its sweet, with a caramel/maple-like flavour, but slightly bitter, like burnt sugar and with a nutty aftertaste, even some liquorice like taste, and it also has a certain aroma as well that’s refreshing and helps balance out the richness of the dish.

Butter chicken is suppose to be indulgent, it should taste rich and creamy, with lots of interesting deep flavours, that have depth and complexity. It has sweetness, yet also bitter notes from the fenugreek, and subtle spice from the Kashmiri chili powder.

>>19226693
Thighs have more flavour and are able to stand up against the richness of the gravy, chicken breast will be bland and you won’t be able to taste much of the chicken flavour.

>>19226700
Butter chicken is one of the most flavourful curries you can have. It’s extremely rich and decadent. My guess is you’ve only had bad versions of it.

>>19226711
Chicken tikka is more tomato based, with tomato being a predominant flavour. It’s more earthy and a bit more spicy, it still has a certain sweetness, maybe more sweet than butter chicken even, but it’s a different type, since butter chicken has honey/maple-like sweetness and chicken tikka is more like regular sugar sweetness, it’s still creamy and somewhat rich, but not to the level either. It also lacks the same level of complexity, since it doesn’t have fenugreek, but it is more spicy, in terms of heat.

>> No.19226828

>>19226772
I love karahi chicken, it has a real bite to it since there's generous ginger & pepper and no creaminess to counter the spice/acidity. And the lack of onion makes it a good quick meal for long days. Ill have to try achari curry.

>> No.19226849
File: 78 KB, 612x612, 1667089661291260.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19226711
>I'm not intending to learn
Then why bother asking at all, if you aren't intending to learn it literally doesn't matter how other people make it.

>> No.19226850

>>19226774
>My guess is you’ve only had bad versions of it.
Probably. Went to the best indian restaurant in my town and tried it. Did not like it one bit. It was sweet and that threw me off the most because I've never tried sweet curry. Plus it was too spicy that it burned my throat. I don't really like really spicy stuff because curries are made more mild in my family. The two flavors just didn't mix well together

>>19226828
>I love karahi chicken, it has a real bite to it since there's generous ginger & pepper and no creaminess to counter the spice/acidity. And the lack of onion makes it a good quick meal for long days.
Where do you come from because chicken karahi is creamy, at least the style I've learned. Not necessarily as creamy as butter chicken but it should be creamy. Plus you're supposed to add onions to make the onion and tomato sauce.
>Ill have to try achari curry.
The pakistani version of this dish is the best. Try those

>> No.19226856

>>19226850
I mean it has just the natural creaminess of tomatoes, but no cream or coconut milk

>> No.19226878

>>19226856
You add yogurt to it though but I guess it depends on what you grew up on.

Are you south indian? I'm not familiar with indian ethnicities but don't south indians use a lot of coconut milk? Never seen it used ever for paki curries. People just use regular milk and yogurt

>> No.19226888

>>19226596
The main ingredients; butter, chicken, diarrhea

>> No.19226894

>>19226596
This is the recipe I use to the letter only I use half and half instead of heavy cream. I like eating it with sushi rice. https://www.recipetineats.com/butter-chicken/

>> No.19227467

>>19226774

So apparently I was actually making kadai chicken this whole time