[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 439 KB, 492x503, time to call it.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19210862 No.19210862 [Reply] [Original]

i'm fucking sick of eating my own cooking /ck/. i've gotten to the point where i've run out of food and i go to the grocery starved and nothing looks good. i'm going off of ramen, yogurt and multivitamins. i'm not depressed or on heroin. i need to reassess my diet and inventory of stuff i eat. tell me what you ate recently that you loved, a new ingredient you learned to use, stuff you always keep on hand, your go-to weekday or impress-someone dishes, this is an answers that don't have a question thread.

>> No.19210866

>>19210862
>I'm not depressed
Depressed and in denial, anon

>> No.19210904

You're depressed

Make some nice greasy American comfort food. Fried chicken, bacon cheese burgers, egg and cheese sandwiches. Low effort high comfort.

Once you're feeling better you won't mind putting the effort into something healthier

>> No.19210919

>>19210862
I'm the same anon.
I've gotten bored of my staples. Cooking and eating has become a chore.
I wander around the grocer looking for something interesting but just get the same old shit every time anyways.
I should probably commit to trying some new recipes but I'm just too fucking lazy to do so.

>> No.19210945

>>19210862
You need some cheeses in your life.

>> No.19211087
File: 505 KB, 608x818, omnicide.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19210919
i'm tired of everything and i feel like everything new is just a spin on something i've already had. it might be worth mentioning too that i cooked professionally in fine dining for about seven years and gave it up because i just don't like food. i was always the one who did orders, inventory and paperwork because i was never inspired by food. i've tried fucking everything, man. we got samples from everywhere. shit people were really excited about. really exclusive stuff, stupidly expensive stuff that was all just food, flavors, textures, shit. 120 year old wine tastes like fucking dust btw and everything else does too.

>heat a steel pan to high heat
>pour in enough fat to coat
>sear a couple of shrimp only on one side and remove
>throw in a handful of grape tomatoes and blister them
>pluck off the skins best you can
>throw in a tongful of kimchi and toss until pan has cooled, add in some stock and white wine
>let everything simmer and reduce, add in several cubes of unsalted butter at room temp
>once your sauce is looking tight and glossy, throw in your shrimp to finish cooking with a little more stock
wa la serve with crusty bread and green onion

>> No.19211122

>>19210904
Spaghetti and meatballs. Spaghetti and entirely too many meatballs. Glass of ice cold milk. Milk with ice in it.

>> No.19211323

>>19210862
Baked salmon or ribs are some of the easiest tastiest things you can make. Slightly more difficult is stews and curries and stuff. I made some lamb saag recently that was delicious. Learned to use dried fenugreek and dried persian limes (limoo omani) when I made ghormeh sabzi which was also delicious. Also made some tasty beef stew in the instant pot. If I want to impress I will make cassoulet because it is tasty as hell.

Keep trying different dishes from regions of the world known for their cooking. You might have to spend a few hours doing it but you can do those dishes on the weekends. The secret is the more time and effort you put into stuff the better it tastes generally speaking.

>> No.19211344

>>19211122
I used to love milk with ice in it. The smaller the cubes the better

>> No.19211355

>>19210862
I'm in the opposite situation anon. I'd love to get back home and cook "real" food.
>travel for work
>gone for 17 days today
>every day is hotel breakfast, fast food or doordash delivery
>by week 1 I usually exhaust all fast food options in the area
>resort to delivery because I can't be assed to leave the hotel (tired from work + driving around cuts into my limited time off in between shifts)
>pizza
>barbecue
>mexican
>chinese
>sushi
>various chain bullshit
>rinse and repeat
Only saving grace is that I don't have to pay for the food since my per diem exceeds what the food typically costs. However after a while the thought of being able to fire up your own grill (for gods sake) or oven starts sounding exceedingly attractive.
As for your situation, I'd just open a cookbook or go online to try different recipes. Stuff you'd never normally make to see if it's something you can integrate into the rotation.

>> No.19211573
File: 2.14 MB, 1200x774, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19210862
Make bread.
Pick up some yeast, flour, and butter and take the 15 minutes or so to throw some dough together. It's hard to fuck up, and it feels rewarding.
Give it a few tries and you'll want to have more stuff on hand to utilize the bread.

It won't fix you, but it helped me out.

>> No.19211745

>>19211087
sounds pretty gud anon

>> No.19211810

I've been fucking around with using chickpeas and yogurt as the core ingredients for things recently just to see what kind of stuff I can make and mix things up, and to use up all the fucking yogurt I've been making recently.

>> No.19213107

>>19211810
how do you make yogurt? i tried it with regular grocery store gallon whole milk and the flavor was.....bad. the consistency was like cheap danon fat free yogurt and it really just tasted like spoiled milk, more musty and plasticky than tangy or sour. i will be honest, though, that was the only time i tried making yogurt.

>>19211573
can you recommend a good flour? i've had fun making bread, but i don't think bread made with regular pilsbury AP flour tastes very good (or at least mine doesnt), and never comes out very chewy. is it enough to just buy bread flour or higher gluten flour, or is it i good idea to just buy and add gluten? they are sold next to eachother at my grocer

>> No.19213188

>>19213107
I've got one of the instant pot models that has a yogurt setting, I follow the instructions that came with it and it works pretty well so far. I'll generally make a batch any time I've got milk on hand that smells like it's almost past being useful, and for starter I'll just grab some regular old store brand full fat plain yogurt.

>> No.19213200

>>19213188
What I make does come out pretty thin compared to store bought stuff, but I don't mind that personally, I haven't tried straining it to see if I like how it turns out

>> No.19213425

>>19211355
oof man that's fucking soul crushing. i hope you're at least able to get some exercise. i got stuck in a hotel in flyover north georgia for two weeks once and just lived off of cheese sandwiches and beer. i ended up driving an hour out of town to visit a state park one afternoon just to clear my head before heading back to the hotel to finish the week. i felt brand new, hope you make some good money and get home soon
>>19211323
i want to make ribs or pulled pork sandwiches. on an onion roll with mayonnaise, jalapeños and pickled onions :q

>> No.19213450

>>19210862
enjoy the basic things in life. sometimes all you need is a crusty baguette, olive oil and some salt. garlic and herbs optional

>> No.19213457

I don't even cook, I just fry up frozen chicken tenders or jalapeno poppers. Maybe a sausage egg n cheese sammy every once in a while. Otherwise I just cook frozen pizzas, chips and dip, cereal, yogurt, pudding, toast, whatever is quick and easy to make.

I'm not even that fat, 170 at 5'8" but I know my diet is absolute garbage.

>> No.19213509

>>19213457
Okay tubby

>> No.19213671
File: 768 KB, 1200x900, BEEF NOODLES.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Homemade egg noodles. No, not fancy pasta, just home made egg noodles. Mom used to make them when I was a kid. We were poor. Easy to make, cheap. Good. Cup of flour, one egg, a bit of salt and enough water to make a stiff dough. Let the ball sit a while then roll out and cut into strips. A pizza wheel works great. Let them dry for a while. Cook em. They tend to run between a skinny dumpling and a fat noodle. Plenty of chew to them, yet still tender. I recently made chicken noodle soup and a tomato based beef and noodles picrel. Both are cheap and easy but take a bit of simmering time. The beef is just cubed stew meat browned. Add chopped onion and cook until soft. Add a tb of tom paste and cook until the tom starts to caramelize a touch. Add a can or two of stewed toms, vay leaf, and any spice you want and simmer as you make your noodles. Add noodles when done and let flavors blend. Tangy tom with beefy chunks and noodle goodness.