[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 235 KB, 2560x1538, Classic-Lasagna-14-scaled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18938321 No.18938321 [Reply] [Original]

What are your favorite recipes for scratch Lasagna?
Im not too worried whether its true authentic or not, I just want to try and make my own sauce/filling and my own pasta. I did already buy Ricotta and Italian sausage because I was looking at some "easy" recipes with canned sauce and premade pasta sheets.

I own a pasta roller ive never tried out, and figure if Im going through this effort already why not actually make it from scratch.

>> No.18938361

a good ratio for scratch lasagna noodles is 2 parts flour and 1 part (cracked) egg by weight. And generously salt your fresh pasta dough because fresh pasta, already containing lots of moisture, won't absorb as much salted water as dry pasta does, so the mixing stage is the best time to salt the pasta dough.

For sauce and other fillings I don't follow any recipe but my own, but in general I think all beef gets you the best flavor. For veggies in the sauce I usually only add onions or shallots, but carrots would taste good in there too if you like.
and any canned tomatoes (crushed, whole peeled, puree) are the best as long as the can doesn't list "tomato juice" or "calcium chloride" in the ingredients on the back label because either or those ingredients listed means the product will have a bitter shitty taste. No, you do not have to get fucking san marzano tomatoes. They are good but not like the only good option there is.
For seasonings of the sauce i like salt (or soy sauce or worcestershire), dried parsley, dried oregano, and fresh basil. you may also want to add spice and acid like vinegar or lemon juice or something but that's up to you.
I make the meat sauce the previous day before I bake the lasagna because it takes like an hour and a half of simmering for the sauce to cook thoroughly until the meat is tender.
I add a slice of butter to the sauce and mix it in on the day i assemble the lasagna just because.

For the cheese filling you can do either the ricotta + egg filling you may have seen or a bechamel-based cheese sauce. No matter what cheese you are using for the cheese filling, i recommend including some parmigiano reggiano in there as well.
And lastly I don't use mozzarella in the filling - only for the very top of the lasagna.

>> No.18938383

>>18938321
For the sauce do a normal soffritto (onion, carrots, celery), brown your minced meat (my grandma always used half beef half pork) after and then add your choice of tomato sauce/canned tomatoes. For spices: salt, couple bayleaves and basil leaves. Let it simmer for like 2-3 hours.
You gotta also make a bechamel sauce, and put a good amount of sauce on every layer plus some parmesan cheese

>> No.18938387

>>18938321
just use lasagna mix

>> No.18938490

You should be using ragù for tomato sauce, bechamelle for white sauce, and only cheese on top.

>> No.18938578
File: 448 KB, 1001x834, Stouffers_Lasagna-stou.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like getting the stouffers and telling some dumb girlfriend that I made it myself, most girls are too stupid and believe it.

>> No.18938707

>>18938321
Just eat manicotti

>> No.18940439

>>18938321
https://www.misya.info/ricetta/lasagna-napoletana.htm

Since it's carnival time in Italy, why not "Carnival Lasagna" from Naples. I did it some days ago even posted how I did it, well came out with the look of Sloppa but tasted good.