[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 16 KB, 480x360, mooninites.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18747059 No.18747059 [Reply] [Original]

Have you ever had to borrow something from a neighbor to complete a recipe?
Do people still ask their neighbors for sugar? How would you respond if a neighbor knocked on your door to borrow a muffin tin or something?

>> No.18747061

>>18747059
I'd shoot them the moment they stepped on my property

>> No.18747067

>>18747059
cup of sugar is code for I want sex from you and offer sex to you.

too bad no one has sex anymore so no one ever asks me for sugar

>> No.18747069

>>18747059
When I lived in really nice apartments in Austin 15 years ago all the neighbors were pretty close and we would borrow stuff from each other. Where I live now is more of a barrio and as the only white guy for blocks I don't really talk to any of my neighbors.

>> No.18747079

I once ran out of flour while baking on a Sunday and asked my neighbour old lady but she didn't give me any. Then another day I got an amazon package delivered but didn't answer the door because I was jacking off and heard that she told the postman that she doesnt accept other people's packages. Hope she fucking dies painfully and that the few times her grandson(?) comes visit her stop happening altogether and she's alone calling for help and I'm not gonna do anything.

>> No.18747092
File: 142 KB, 819x819, 1671808952634984.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It all depends on how well you know your neighbors.

If you know them well, no big deal. If my next-door neighbor rang the bell and asked to borrow something, it is my pleasure to help.

If you don't know your neighbors, I'd still ask, as it's a good way to get to know them.

Now there is one giant asterisk to all of this. It is generally very polite to give them something in return later. Be it some of what you cooked, or something else. You can also do stuff like shovel their sidewalk once.

Get to know them anon. Our neighbors should be some of the people we know best, but modern society wants to keep us apart.

>> No.18747121

In this world it is kill or be killed. I would not share resources with any of my neighbors, as them going without food is to my benefit.

>> No.18747133

>>18747069
try modulating pitch, speed and volume of the music you're listening to, it's how they communicate
you can hold entire conversations with the right setup, OR if you want Dante to die, you can try whistling https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silbo_Gomero

>> No.18747140

>>18747121
Thats not very Christian of you. Jesus is watching.

>> No.18747146

>>18747121
>as them going without food is to my benefit.
It literally isn't, sperg. Relationships with people that can help you are to your benefit.

>> No.18747151

>>18747133
This is really neat.

>> No.18747184

Some years ago, I was cooking something, idr wtf it was, but I thought I had onion and I, in fact, did not, so I "borrowed" an onion from a neighbour, yes.
In a somewhat related vein, just some months ago, said neighbour, who is elderly, was leaving her house as I was bringing in my groceries.
"Out to get some bread, Mr. Anon," she said. I'd just stopped at the bakery omw home and bought a few loaves so I gave her one so she didn't have to make the walk (and I didn't have to feel bad about not driving her).
I've borrowed dill from another neighbour who got perilla from me and yet another just popped round mine with a goddamn fruit salad out of nowhere. I've yet to do anything for that one in kind, as I've no idea wtf she'd need or want since we don't talk much besides passing.
I pick up packages for yet another neighbour if they're not home to make sure no one steals them and text them to let them know I've got'em safe inside.
It's a rough-looking but nice-hearted area I live in. Except for most of the newer people. They don't talk to anyone and just walk about with a puss on their faces.

>> No.18747213

>>18747069
I'm >>18747184
When I first got my house here ten years ago, I was the only single white-presenting guy here (I'm akshully hapa, but just look white).
When I first got here, most people were black or Indonesian on my block with a handful of greasy wop degos who suck donkey dicks. Fucking worst neighbours, seriously.
Slowly, the blacks have been getting pushed out since most were renters, but they were fucking awesome neighbours. At least for these kknee grows, the stereotypes were mostly wrong. Just super friendly and welcoming people who kept the block tidy and didn't cause or bring problems. They were, however, extremely loud.
Anyway, I mention all this as a suggestion to try talking to your neighbarrio. Maybe they'll be awesome, too.

>> No.18747244

i just texted my neighbor asking if she wanted me to add anything to my herb garden since i have extra space

>> No.18747344

>>18747184
>"borrowed"
Why do you say "borrowed"? No, I didn't finish reading your post.

>> No.18747354

>>18747344
I never gave that onion back cuz I ate it, turned it into poo and flushed it. I doubt she'd want my onion-poo.

>> No.18747720

>>18747244
Plant her some weed

>> No.18747742

>>18747067
what does constantly leaving me letters in my door asking me for cigs?

>> No.18747792

>>18747059
not for about 20 years now
ditto
generally I'd lend it them but also sticky beak about what they're cooking