[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 604 KB, 750x500, BestGlobalVodka-GettyImages-150384223-56a175165f9b58b7d0bf73d5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18698749 No.18698749 [Reply] [Original]

I'm a manchild and need the internet to tell me what to do and what to think. I want to start stocking a home bar since my job and apartment has changed and it seems like it's going to be expected of me to invite people over for drinks. I've been a poorfag until now and have only fucked with well drinks so I'm not versed enough to know the difference between something like Absolut vs Grey Goose, but I don't drink enough to buy 20 brands of every spirit and decide for myself what I prefer.

What brand of each liquor should I buy? Which vodka, tequilas, whiskeys, rums, etc.

>> No.18698764

>>18698749
Hey there, fellow manchild! It's great to hear that you're looking to upgrade your home bar. When it comes to choosing the right spirits, there are a few key brands that you should definitely consider.

For vodka, I would recommend going with Grey Goose. It's a top-quality brand that has a smooth and refined taste.

As for tequila, you can't go wrong with Patron. It's a classic choice that's sure to impress any guests you have over.

For whiskey, I would suggest picking up a bottle of Jack Daniel's. It's a timeless choice that never goes out of style.

When it comes to rum, I would recommend going with Bacardi. It's a trusted brand that's been around for generations.

Ultimately, the best spirits are the ones that you enjoy the most. So, don't be afraid to try out different brands and see what suits your taste. Cheers!

>> No.18698779

just buy what you want to drink
if you're going to buy a bottle exclusively for mixing, don't spend a lot of money on it

>> No.18698817

>>18698779
That's what I was thinking but I feel like I can be a little more thoughtful and accomodating than just buying kirkland brand bottles

>> No.18698832

>>18698817
buy stuff that looks nice and refill them with kirkland

>> No.18698882

>>18698764
>Grey Goose. ... smooth and refined taste.
It's vodka. It has no taste.
>Patron. It's a classic choice that's sure to impress any guests you have over.
Except those who drink tequila.

Everybody who doesn't know a thing about alcohol knows the names you listed. It's the most pedestrian list one can think of, and is the easiest way to overpay on a marked-up name for something that's mediocre quality in its class.

>>18698779
This is the only good advice. If you have one type of liquor you're trying to learn a bit more about, to get a bit more of a refined taste, start thinking to up your spending on that, then look at what the major cocktails/variations that are done on it look like and diversify from there. I've found some decent lists online that give an overview of quality versus price ranges to a much more thorough degree than most burn-outs working high-turnover sections in liquor stores (unless you have a *really good* liquor store like Binny's), but in the end once you have a list of candidates in your price range it's probably just a matter of taste who ranks which higher in reviews. Thus:

Always be on the look out for any type of tastings and write down what the names you want to look out for, in all price ranges, even those way out of your league now. I still remember vividly the sensation of a tequila, totally unaffordale for me at the time (but not even in the premium XA category), I tasted a decade ago, but I never wrote down the name, and I have always regretted it. You'll always, no matter how rich you may get, have need of cheapo go-to brands that you can give with a clear conscience to guests you don't want to waste money on, or those who obviously aren't there to appreciate the drink.

>> No.18698940

>>18698882
Let's give some basic recs (U.S. brand availability and prices I'm afraid) for a minimal cheap versatile entry-level bar setup:

Tequila: Espolon reposado ($25-30)
Whiskey: Four Roses ($25-30)
Rum: Don Q Cristal (for white if you're primarily mixing daiquiris etc, <$15); Flora de Cana 4year (for dark, its associated cocktails and variants, and maybe sipping, $20 -- I don't know rum well at all)
Gin: Beefeater seems to be the entry one everyone recommends, and seems cheapest of those recommended at about $20/750ml.
Vermouth: Dolin at $15 for sweet or dry seems to be the minimum brand people go for if you want to consider using it for anything other than mixing (as a secondary) and cooking. If you're mixing you might as well get a $5 Trader Joes or M&R sweet vermouth at first and see what kind of manhattans (or the equivalent using your best base liquor) and the like that gives you, then get a Dolin and see how that elevates it.
Bitters: If you're near a Wegman's they have Angostura for super cheap (like $8). Otherwise get Peychauds at the liquor store for $6-8. (In general check your grocery store for liquor price comparisons, especially on the low-mid range. Costco in particular apparently carries some value gems.)

Again, maybe only focus on exploring one type of liquor at a time, to upgrade to something of higher value or more diversity. The way to do it is this: say I want a starter bar and I'm interested in exploring rum. I still get everything listed above, plus go to rum tastings or talk to a bartender and try out something I like, and get something dark and mid-range based on that. Now I take a basic cocktail like the Old Fashioned -- it's be re-spun a million times, and wouldn't you know, you can re-spin it with dark rum instead of whiskey (or anejo tequila, or rye, or brandy, or mezcal combo, and it just goes on and on). Use that as your basis to then test if the cheap sweet vermouth you bought is adequate, say.

>> No.18699251

>>18698764
OP, don't feed your guests Jack Daniel's. That shit is for 18 year old Appalachians.
>vodka
literally anything, nobody can taste it when mixed anyways. I love Zubrowka with the bison grass floating it it for straight drinking
>whiskey/scotch
Canadian club, J&B, wisers, gibsons, glenfiddich, Laphroaig, fireball, etc.
>Gin
Bombay, tanqueray, beefeater, or something above $35/bottle if you're feeling fancy. Money makes a difference with gin
>rum
I hate rum so I don't know
>tequila
>Cuervo, sauza or patron. I don't notice much of a difference between the cheap ones. Once it's in a margarita or whatever, you can't tell.

>> No.18699264

>>18698882
>It's vodka. It has no taste
Thanks for saving me the time of reading your post. You don't know alcohol. You have nothing valid to say about it.

>> No.18699552

>>18698749
It depends what you like to drink, straight liquor, mixed drinks or cocktails?

Some non-liquor essentials:
- Angostura bitters
- Vermouth, a bottle of both white & red, essential for many cocktails like Martinis. Can also be drank on its own on ice with a slice of orange and lemon zest.
-Liqueurs: your choice of Bailey's, Amaretto, Kahlua & an orange liqueur like Cointreau or Triple Sec.
-some kind of starter cocktail set with a measure, a strainer, a shaker and pourers.

Liquors:
- Vodka: literally any vodka will do, don't buy Grey Goose. Get something cheap because you're going to mix it anyways. Absolut is decent but nobody will judge you for having a bottle of plunk if it's obvious you're using it for mixing in a fully stocked bar.
- Gin: like others have said, Beefeater is a decent versatile rail gin.
- Whiskey: get one bottle for mixing and another for tasting. Something cheap like Canadian club, Jameson or J&B for making Old fashioneds, Manhattans or whiskey gingers and a more expensive Scotch or Irish whiskey for sipping on its own or with a cube of ice.
Rum - dark rum is nicer than white desu, Havana especial dark is another decent versatile rail liquor for rum and cokes. You'll need a light rum for making mojitos if you're into that.

Other essentials:
- ice
- tonic water
- sugar for making simple syrup
- soda water
- cans of coke, ginger ale, 7up
- citrus for garnish, especially limes.

Cocktails will impress guests but even offering your guests a simple gin & tonic, whiskey ginger or rum & coke is miles ahead of telling them to grab a beer from the fridge if they feel like it. I would also recommend always having a couple nice bottles of wine on hand for pairing with meals.

>> No.18699558

>>18698764
this is obviously AI generated

>> No.18699565

>>18698749
buy the cheapest one and hide it behind the bar. no one will be able to tell

>> No.18699569

>>18699251
You can 100% tell the difference between tequilas in a margarita. The correct answer is to reccomend tapatio blanco btw.

>> No.18699599

>>18699552
>>18699552
I would also recommend getting a combo of cheap rail liquor and a top shelf bottle for more special occasions. For example Beefeaters or Gordon's for your rail gin and Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire or Monkey 47 for your more top shelf bottle.

>> No.18699612

>>18698749
Vodka is a neutral spirit made from grain or potatoes and is distilled and filtered. It should be 40% alcohol and have no taste so anything that meets that definition is good.

Tequila but something labeled 100% blue agave or 100% agave. avoid things like jose cuervo montezuma gold etc. these are mixtos and contain about 50% corn grain alcohol and generally taste like rotten meat.. I prefer 1800 repesado.

Whiskey this is a jixed bag since there re many styles of whisky from bourbon to scotch to irish. Scotches will take generally more earthy and smokey due to the peated malt. Bourbons tend to be woody, Irish tend to be pretty smooth overall good but not as complex as the other two types.

Gin first try some beefeaters see if you like the taste of gin some people like it some don't. Gin comes in a variety of flavors but most tend to be piney due to the juniper infusion. you can however get some that use other botanicals in infusion like hendricks which is cucumbery new amsterdam which is more citrusy, but generally they will all have a juniper taste.
Rums are also a mixed bag since you have pure cane rums acrigole rhums, molasses rums and styles can change depend on the country. They can be barrel aged on unaged. I would recommend avoiding the mass brands like bacardi go with mt gay or plantation if you need somethingjust for mixing maybe give cruzan a try.

My final recommendation s to buy what you enjoy drinking. theres o point in spending money on a bottle of something that will sit on the shelf half empty for half a year if you have something that is good and you enjoy others will want to try it.

>> No.18699779

>>18698749
beer and red solo cups

>> No.18699807

>>18699612
>go with mt gay or plantation
First good rum recs in the whole thread. Mount Gay is good in everything and decent for sipping, not many people really drink rum straight but wouldn't turn down the gay.

>>18698749
While liquor recs are important and central, having all the shit for mixers and cocktails is what bankrupts you. Vermouth, grenadine, home made simple syrup, bitters, triple sec, schnapps, a few fruit juices, tonic water (cheap but not too cheap), liqueurs for common cocktails, aperitives and digestives for after dinner. All that shit adds up fast. Most don't run a home bar like that.

Most people are total plebs and you could fill them with Yuengling, some kind of new zealand white, an adequate little red from a box, gin and tonics, a mid shelf bourbon, and engine cleaner mixed with juice and they'd be happy. Old Forester 100 is a good bar bourbon that is fine neat but cheap enough to make mixers with.

>> No.18700684

>>18699807
It would be crazy to stock every varietal of wine (or not, if you're aging, but...) and crazy to open whatever type of bottle a guest asks for. For wine or beer, you have in stock what you'd drink yourself, since it's perishable, and when a guest comes that can have their choice of maybe the one or a handful of decent-quality things you offer them, or otherwise juice or water. A home bar need only be enough for some basic cocktails to start -- don't start with any liqueurs or stuff like that, not least because they're often more perishable once opened.

And to those like >>18699552 , while some of those suggestions are decent, most of the mixers listed are half name-brands and hardly essential -- any cocktail that calls for an Irish cream (Bailey's is a brand name with a 200% markup) has a dozen variants using other liqueurs that a guest may find more interesting -- you're not a commercial bar catering to peoples' expectations of getting the same shit every time (would you ever go to someone's house, get offered coffee, and ask for and expect to be served a double mocha frappuchino with whipped cream? You get what you're given.). If you have one liqueur that you know you enjoy in two or more ways, then I guarantee you can use it in 20 or more variations of popular cocktails.

Btw, if you cook regularly, hopefully you have a way to get fresh affordable citrus in your fridge regularly, which can make a huge difference. You can make simple syrup yourself, infuse it with whatever you want, or buy agave or corn syrup to be lazy, all of which is way cheaper than liquor store syrup, or worse, fake grenadine (just ss with added fruit flavor and coloring -- it's never real pomegranate liqueur, and if it were, you'd never notice in a mix, so I say make your own colored fruit infusion). There's a recipe for bootleg triple sec (orange liqueur) you can do with decent vodka and marmalade in a blender. Plenty of ways to avoid stocking mixers.

>> No.18700825

Bourbon: woodford double oaked or maker's mark
Whisky: Glen Fiddich or similar
Gin: monkey 47, fever tree tonics
Brandy: spend at least £50 on a good cognac. Not Henessey. Remy Martin and Courvoisier are ok. Go to a proper spirit store and ask for a recommendation. Supermarkets are fine for most spirits but good brandy is special (my opinion)
Wine: at least one sparkling white (I prefer champagne over prosecco but either is fine), normal white and red. Wine is something you usually drink regularly so it doesn't hurt to join a club
Beer: I would get a selection of Belgian ales/witbiers, English bitters, some German beers (weissbier), and a few lagers in summer

>> No.18700833

>>18700825
Actually if I was buying gin, since I live in England I would buy a local one, but if you live in America monkey will do

>> No.18702120
File: 1.28 MB, 3024x4032, barranquilla green jade.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18698749
>What brand of each liquor should I buy? Which vodka, tequilas, whiskeys, rums, etc.
You're doing it wrong. You need liqueurs and lots of them. The way you know everyone else in this thread is wrong is because they arent posting pictures, only walls of text.

>> No.18702164
File: 41 KB, 443x351, hendricks_gin_cocktail.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18698749
https://old.reddit.com/r/cocktails/wiki/index
buy hendricks gin
In fact get the 1.75l for your gin, it's common for the most accessible cocktails like tom collins, g&t, martini

>> No.18702220
File: 1.20 MB, 3024x4032, bohemian mule.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18698749
>>18702120
For example you didnt ask for any Absinthe recommendations. Thats how you know you fucked up. Bitches dont want to drink Whiskey, thats a mans drink. They want to drink Absinthe, because thats what Hemmingway drank, and Hemmingway makes bitches wet and get their panties to drop. It shows you're cultured and bohemian.

>> No.18702297

>>18698749
The responses in this thread are shit. Here are some tips for a home bar if you don't want to look retarded.
Just make sure you have the basics, aka beer and wine and whisky, maybe a sparkling wine (doesn't have to be champagne) These will be the most consumed ones. You don't want to pop expensive bottles otherwise your guests will be embarassed, but you can't stock up on kirkland shit either.

For wine, just get something red and fruity. Most people like fruity. Always have a pink one for the ladies, for some reason they love that shit. Get some four roses for your bourbon, j&b for whisky, and as much as i may not sound popular, get a bottle of JD just in case someone has no fucking taste. If you got extra money, buy a gentleman jack, just for show.

I personally do enjoy my vodka and the taste won't vary much for someone who's not in the know, so really, just buy a good looking bottle and refill it later with cheap ass 'ka. Absolut should do the trick, but it's always nice to have a grey goose or even better, a beluga, on the shelves, if you want to do shots with your boss.

I dont like beer but basically have two kinds at least, beers everyone drink and the beers you personally like.

You could get other liquors like rum and tequila once you're done with the ones above. Vermouth, bitters, triple secs and other less used stuff should only be bought if they are ingredients for cocktails you make regularly. Also, don't be that cringe barman making everyone's cocktail. Just know how to make the easier cocktails like cuba libres or mojitos.

>> No.18702321

>>18702120
>>18702220
If you like absinthe cocktails and want to stock around something like your pic and related, then that's how you would go about setting up your home bar for yourself. You can offer guests something not commonly seen, reflective of your own tastes, and hopefully something you can do well, with one or two upscale bottles to anchor that expression on. That's a great way to go about it.

That doesn't mean everyone should buy absinthe and make absinthe cocktails. That's fucking retarded. Just like if I were to say, "I make grilled daikon that I offer as appetizers to guests that are always a hit with the ladies. Therefore, everyone on /ck/ who wants to get laid must, as a prerequisite, get a charcoal grill no matter where they live, find a store that sells fresh daikon and galangal daily, and use traditional week-ahead marinating and fermenting practices." Does that help you understand the logic here a bit better?

>> No.18702345

>>18702220
Absinthe is a niche thing. Don't get me wrong, i'm belgian and I love the thing and i have some as well as some chartreuse, but a beginner who is just setting up a home bar only needs what his guests may want + his own personal preferences. Only when the latter is clearly established do you go for niche liqueurs and drinks. More often than not people will just drink beers.

>> No.18702357

>>18702297
A "home bar" typically implies a place for mixing and serving drinks, and/or the place in which the components for mixing are stored or displayed. This is distinct from, say, a refrigerator, in which one might store (some) beer, or a cellar for wine and other spirits, which are then brought up to the guests directly and consumed without mixing.

Your reply to a thread entitled "stocking a home bar", asking for advice on a home bar set-up which clearly implies the definition I gave, thus comes down to: "The concept of home bars is stupid -- just serve wine, beer, and straight liquor."

>> No.18702428

>>18702357
A home bar typically implies that, but OP said that he was completely green, heavily implying he didn't know much about mixology, and his definition of home bar may very well not be yours.
This is 4chan, and more often than not people are asking for but the basics of basics. If people come in and you only have cinnamon flavored absinth to offer them when all they really want is a beer, you won't make a good impression. And most people here seemed to forget the truth about home bars : most people are not adventurous and are okay with having a beer or some wine.

You sound like those guys from /fit/ who go on threads where fatties ask for programs to lose weight, and you're like "ok so the first thing you need to do is to run for 2 hours per day to burn the carbs". No. You start with a 30 minute walk and then you see where it gets you.

Otherwise he's going to stock up on useless shit no one wants to drink which is a huge waste of money anyway.

>> No.18702454
File: 2.53 MB, 3024x4032, yellow bird.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18702297
>don't be that cringe barman making everyone's cocktail
you sound poor

>>18702321
>>18702345
>That doesn't mean everyone should buy absinthe and make absinthe cocktails
no, you couldnt be more wrong. you should only serve absinthe cocktails, even if it is just a sazerac, or tiki drinks or desert cocktails. the very first bottle OP should buy is some jade absinthe, then some galliano. bitches love herbs and flowers, and if OP wants some pussy, he needs herbs and flowers in his drinks

>> No.18702471

>>18702428
>Otherwise he's going to stock up on useless shit
You told him you buy beer even though you don't like it. You told him to buy vodka with an expensive bottle. You told him to buy wines based on your perception of what his guests might stereotypically want. You told him to buy disgusting whiskey in case someone asks for it. You told him to buy a bottle just to show it off. How are all of these not examples of "stocking up on useless shit?"

I agree many posters on here are saying stupid shit, and I know you can't tell which posts were mine, but I'm the one saying to start by exploring one major type of liquor, go to tastings, buy something decent mid-range on that, and get some basic, entry-level stuff for mixing some key cocktail variations with that base liquor, and upgrade as you learn.

>> No.18702523

>>18702471
>>18702471
I think you're too hung up on what you think is a home bar. Guy clearly just want to stock up on stuff people might consume. The mixology lab can come once you got the basics straightened out.

>You told him you buy beer even though you don't like it.
Because everyone drinks beer. I don't like beer in general, but there's a 100% chance that the people he will invite would rather have one.
>You told him to buy vodka with an expensive bottle.
My point being that they all taste the same and no one would notice, kek. My default recommendation actually is absolut. I would rather Russian Standard or a Sobieski (personal preference) but i'm not sure you guys have that.

I'm just saying you need a baseline setup for your guests. Then you can get all the vermouth and triple sec and bitters you want.

>> No.18702528

>>18702454
Giffard vanille(yum) + berry liquor + sparkling water = alcoholic coca cola or some non descript cola beverage. It's uncanny.

>> No.18702585
File: 2.67 MB, 3024x4032, barnamint.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18702523
>I think you're too hung up on what you think is a home bar
If you cant get under age girls sloppy drunk, then why even have a home bar. do you even like cunny? i bet you dont since you're not focused on it. pic related, the finest cocktail you can get at TGI Fridays

>>18702528
ty anon, i'll have to give it a try

>> No.18702722

Don't waste good liquor. Get a couple of cheap bottles for when you are using a lot of mixers or have dumbasses over. Buy for the bottle for the girls and light them up like your OP. They appreciate that, and like vodka with mixers. When you learn what YOU like, then buy that nice bottle for the boys.

Patron silver is objectively one of the best values for good tequila. It is drinkable for anyone that can handle vodka.

There are a billion hard to find good rums from nations that are famous for rum running, and molasses. You can drink them neat or you can mix them and they're fantastic. Same goes with tequila.

Vodka is in a weird way like ether. Unlike ether, the higher the quality the smoother it mixes or shoots, and the lower the hangover.

Whisky, bourbon, etc. if you enjoy this can be an expensive hobby. There are cults around these spirits and you'll make good friends there.

There are plenty of other spirits and exotic concoctions you can learn. These are just fun. On top of these lists are spirits like gin, or vermouth. After this you can look at liquors like Kahlua or schnapps.

Get some exceptional tobacco for the boys.

If you like coffee or chocolate-ey beverages and want to learn how to make a baller drink right fucking now: put on your bathrobe, go to the liquor store, buy Kahlua, grey goose, and heavy cream. You can use a lower cost coffee liquor or vodka.

Now:

2 parts (or shots) coffee liquor
1 part vodka
1 part sweet cream

Adjust to taste. Abide.

>> No.18702810

>>18699569
NTA but I prefer reposados in a tequila, is that weird

>> No.18702816

>>18702810
Not at all. Occasionally I like an anejo marg.

>> No.18702818

>>18699807
Plantation 8-year is awesome. Goes down awesome on rocks, and mixes into most rum cocktails well too. Naturally sweet and hits all those vanilla notes you want in an aged rum. Also super affordable

>> No.18702831
File: 457 KB, 1024x1280, 772233-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18702816
I gotta try that. Meant reposados in a margarita btw but you obviously understood. I've been using pic rel mostly cos of the cool bottle and the fact that it's fairly affordable in Australia. I wonder how much quality matters for margaritas vs sipping?

>> No.18702859

>>18702831
It makes a difference up to a point. If you're doing lime juice, agave syrup, tequila margs with good fresh squeezed lime juice it will definitely make a difference to some extent. Probably more of a tastes thing than anything.

Tapatio blanco is my goto inexpensive blanco for margs, and siete lenguas is my more premium choice. The flavor is notch above the tapatio in quality. Smoother a littke more refined, but both have that really nice lime flavor perfect for margaritas.

fuentesca reposado is my goto reposado for margs

Tapatio extra anejo for my sipping tequila.

>> No.18702873
File: 235 KB, 1115x1600, 0053-016.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18698764

>> No.18703015

>>18702722
I know it's a blue board, but you should still be at least 14 to post on a thread like this.

>>18702831
It's a company that makes mixtos. I can't find too many reviews (other than a few pans) or price comparisons since their only export seems to be Australia, but if they're selling you on bottle+affordability then that's where you need to take a step back.

A margarita can either be made to hide the fact that there's tequila in it, or it can be made to (to an extent) show it off. So if you have shit liquor, you can make a mix to hide it -- that's not difficult. Just don't go putting a ribbon on dogshit and convince yourself it's christmas.

To get into tequila a bit more -- again I stress with any liquor, go online and look up tastings in your area, and even if there's a (small) fee, go to them. But when I'm shopping I'll look at reviews to see where the consensus is -- the one site I'm linking isn't the be-all-end-all review site, but it organizes them in a good manner and it doesn't seem to ever have outrageous suggestions judging by what other reviewers say:
https://www.liquor.com/tequila-types-5271471
https://www.liquor.com/best-tequilas-4846907
TequilaTourist is a reviewer I also always go to, just because for whatever reason they seem to speak my language more so than other reviewers, but they stopped updating maybe since 2014 so they won't have a lot of newer labels.

>> No.18703045

>>18698764
This is bait. Here's a list of mid-shelf spirits:
vodka: Tito's
tequila: Hornitos Reposado
whiskey: see below
bourbon: Buffalo Trace or if you can spend more Bulleit
rum: Myers's
brandy: Christian Brothers is actually acceptable for being cheap
cognac: Hennessy. Not cheap but everything cheaper has not been good enough
gin: Not sure, gin tastes like a rubber balloon to me

>> No.18703093

>>18698749
>it seems like it's going to be expected of me to invite people over for drinks
Everywhere I've worked, you'd just need beer, wine, a clear spirit, mixers, ice, and citrus. Whiskey (all men) or sparkling (mixed or women) if you're celebrating. Drier mixers in glass and more expensive spirits are more upmarket, while sweeter mixers in plastic and cheaper spirits are more relaxed; neither is bad, but you want to know what your audience expect.

Optional extras are more beer choices, more spirits, cider, premixed drinks/punch (can seem trashy), or preparations for cocktails or mocktails (if someone actually wants mocktails). If you do all of these for five people at Friday after-work drinks you'll possibly look like a tryhard.

Contra >>18702297, taste in wine varies enormously and sweet whites can be just as controversial as dry whites (e.g. not very controversial at all and guests usually don't complain about free booze, but sweet wines are associated with 18 year olds drinking for the first time). Don't give people red wine unless it's with a meal or they're outdoors, or they'll spill pinot noir on your carpet.

With younger people it's normal to either go somewhere afterwards, or to go to your place after an event, so you won't have to provide for the whole night.

>> No.18703158

>>18702585
this anon knows whats up

>> No.18703186

>>18698749
I dunno what you’ll like to drink or your budget. Looking at my stack right now I have: bombay sapphire and dolin dry vermouth for martinis, hardy legend cognac, bruicaddich octomore scotch, plantation isle of fiji rum (amazing with pineapple juice), fernet in the freezer, some random raki next to it, hornitos blanco for shooting when I’m already drunk, some nicer wild ales and a fridge full of cheap lager (Old German today but my preference is Hamms). Yeah, I’m an alcoholic.
You’re not gonna trick anyone into thinking you know about liquor when you don’t. You’re not stocking a public bar. Just get some bottles and find what you like to drink. I often try a new liquor at the bar before I commit to buying a bottle but sometimes you gotta take a chance. Maybe try out a cocktail recipe and serve that to your friends instead of trying to stock a full bar. You will ultimately be more successful and your friends will appreciate trying something new.

>> No.18704534

>>18698817
Kirkland liquor is dank af