[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 143 KB, 500x534, bfood.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18610017 No.18610017 [Reply] [Original]

why is british food so bland and gross?

>> No.18610045

How is yeast extract spread on toast bland? It explodes with umami.

>> No.18610046

>anime girl doesn't like thing
what the fuck i don't like that thing either!

>> No.18610050

>>18610017
she scarfs down plain white rice in the very next scene, what the fuck was her problem?

>> No.18610363

Confirmation bias. If you see a putrid dish from another nation, you just think "wow, that looks shit". If you see a putrid dish from the UK you think "why is British cuisine like this???". Likewise, if you see a British dish you like the look of, you find some way to rationalise this contradiction by figuring out some secret way it must not be British after all.
I admit it doesn't help that British cooking culture genuinely is abysmal among the working class, and most British 4chan users are for some reason working class.

>> No.18610392

>>18610017
Modern every-day British food is the result of post-WW2 scarcity. We economically fucked ourselves establishing Israel and most households were affected quite badly, so the need for long-lasting, cheap and sustaining foods (such as the humble baked bean) came to be the more common type of food that a household would stock and prepare.
Our actual culinary history is really rich and detailed, we have cook books dating back to the 14th century with many intricate meals from royal feasts to the home-cook's more modest plates, and hundreds of Victorian era books on baking and more fanciful meal prep. Having said that, the general way to approach food in this country isn't the same as say France or Japan where you make everything gay for no reason, it's more like Italian cooking in the basic approach. We take a few fresh ingredients and put complimentary flavours together to have more hearty meals than fiddly little sharing platters.
Though our staple foods have always been simple, they aren't "bland". A roast dinner with some good vegetables, or savoury pies which are in essence a roast dinner packed inside a short-crust pastry, has plenty of great flavours to it.
Basically, in short, if you don't like British food which is at the end of the day comprised mostly of roasted meat, various dairy products and root vegetables, you're probably a massive gayboy.

>> No.18610404
File: 372 KB, 500x535, 1565106542222.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.18610407
File: 693 KB, 564x846, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18610050
>plain white rice
You know they have fillings, right?

>> No.18610427

>>18610392
This is one of those working class anons with no cooking skills I was talking about btw. Hence the weird fixation on "not being fiddly and gay (fellas is it gay to eat good food?)".
British food actually involves a number of herbs and spices, although it also leans heavily on good, strong-flavoured ingredients by themselves (like smoked fish).

>> No.18610429

>>18610427
Everyone not an actual lord is working class you mong. The "middle class" in Britain isn't separated by income like it is in Muttistan.
I enjoy cooking food from all around the world, I used the term "fiddly and gay" to show the contrast between the presentation of our foods, not necessarily the flavours you add in to them. Christ on a bike you lot are thick.

>> No.18610433

>The "middle class" in Britain isn't separated by income like it is in Muttistan.
>Harvey unironically believes this

>> No.18610438

>>18610429
What? Why are you pretending to be British? I think we might have talked before because I vaguely remember some absolute schizo trying to pretend they were British while absolutely failing to understand how our class system works.
t. actual middle class Brit who knows how our class system works

>> No.18610441

>>18610438
>He thinks post 1958 class definitions matter
Anything brought into British society past the death of Edward the Confessor is non-canonical.

>> No.18610718
File: 328 KB, 1500x1279, 91cZAXUEiUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18610017
you're full of shit mate

>> No.18610734

>>18610017
cause they aren't on the continent. i guess. true their food is gross.

>> No.18610742

>>18610392
>Hire French chefs to cook French food and roast beef
>Lower class can eat eels and beans
Wow such a great culinary "history"

>> No.18610764

>>18610017

>spiced sausages and yeast extract
>bland

Because the Internet has rotted tour brain to the point yiu think cartoons and memes are really life.

>> No.18610815

>>18610427
>good, strong-flavoured ingredients
yeah, like beef, gravy, roasted taters, peas and carrots, and yorkshire pudding

yeah you can put some sage in there, or even a can of tamotoes with the meat, but at the end of the day we don't need very much gay seasoning because we can appreciate purity and subtlety in flavours. For example I can identify the principal potatoe variaties I use by taste alone, and I enjoy it, now why would I want to cover all that up with some in-your-face curry smell? a little salted butter is enough to polish the tater smell if I feel like it

>> No.18610874

>>18610404
Natto is pretty good to be honest and this is from me, I love a fry-up in a British cafe before they all closed due to the absolute state of Brexit and suchlike

>> No.18610914

>>18610815
Yes, actually, strengthening the flavour of the beef by using things like gravy is one of the things I was talking about, and is an example of the kind of philosophy which underpins much of European cuisine. But we also add things like worcestershire sauce or oxford sauce, which contain many spices, as well as simply just adding spices like cloves or nutmeg or cayenne pepper. That's on top of the herbs we use all the time, like sage, rosemary, dill, thyme, chives, bay leaves, and fennel, all of which impart flavours just as strong as spices. Really, I don't know why people internationally seem to sleep on herbs so much.

You have an extremely bizarre impression of British cuisine which is both insulting to how British cuisine actually is but which you also seem to think is better than if British cuisine had flavour? It's so stupid.

>> No.18610943

>>18610914
>But we also add things like worcestershire sauce or oxford sauce
not me
>just adding spices like cloves or nutmeg
at christmas maybe
>That's on top of the herbs we use all the time, like sage, rosemary, dill, thyme, chives, bay leaves, and fennel
these are good, you have my permission to use em. but really who cares, a tater is a tater in the end
>Really, I don't know why people internationally seem to sleep on herbs so much.
if they're in europe then they don't, they just view british usage as peasant-like and imprecise. if they're wogs well theres you answer mate.

>> No.18610973

>>18610943
I don't give a fuck about your autistic fucking way of cooking. I'm talking about traditional British cuisine, not YOUR food you plop down on a plate.