[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 83 KB, 1000x1000, 0980c737-57a8-48ac-ae7a-b3d62c9c72be_1000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17768840 No.17768840 [Reply] [Original]

I'd like to try making ice cream but don't have an ice cream machine. Planning on using the freeze-and-stir method instead.
Do any ingredient adjustments need to be made if I'm trying to use a recipe that explicitly calls for an ice cream machine? Especially the cream-to-milk ratio.

>> No.17768846

>>17768840
You can do not but if it can't wasn't the straw?

>> No.17768864
File: 1.44 MB, 460x344, 1651166326653.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17768846

>> No.17769344

Fast freezing in an ice cream machine ensures small ice crystal size and smooth texture. If your ice cream machine is a little shitty, or you're not using one at all, it helps to have higher fat, higher solids and more stabilizer. All of these work to decrease ice crystal size and make the ice cream less grainy.

All of them however can lead to other textural issues, so you have to be careful or you'll just be trading iciness for other defects. Too much fat can leave a greasy mouthfeel. Too much solids or stabilizer can make the texture too gummy or stretchy, as well as cause the ice cream to melt too slowly. Making the ice cream base very thick helps ensure smoothness, but a very thick base has poor flavor release when you eat it.

I'd recommend aiming for 15-18% total fat and 42-45% total solids in the base. You can use an ice cream calculator to figure these out or do the math yourself. It's harder to give numbers for stabilizers. Generally anything that binds water and thickens the base counts as a stabilizer, so besides the commercial stuff like guar gum, there's also egg yolks, skim milk powder and even chocolate, cocoa powder and nut butters, all of which have thickening and stabilizing properties and may be present at various quantities depending on the type of ice cream. But basically you're looking to end up with some kind of a custard texture that's thick but still easily pourable.

If you don't want to use commercial stabilizers, a great one that's easily available is gelatin. It's very effective at reducing ice crystal size and doesn't have as major side effects like some others. I'd recommend 0.3-0.5% gelatin in the base.

>> No.17769419
File: 1.99 MB, 320x240, 1648584124126.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17769344
Assuming this isn't pasta from some other site, good shit.

>> No.17769425

>>17768840
Just get some liquid nitrogen dawg

>> No.17769778

>>17769344
Thanks, I made the custard base before reading this but according to the calculator I should end up with percentages close to what you recommended.
Would meringue powder have a similar effect to gelatin?

>> No.17769826

I stole a pastanigger but apparently it needs a machine to create ice cream, what do?

>> No.17769874

>>17768840
Put ice cream mix into well sealed bag. Put bag into larger bag. Fill larger bag with ice. Add rock salt to ice. Seal larger bag well. Wrap all in towel or wear gloves or oven mitts. Massage bag until ice cream is mostly set. Remove ice cream into container and put in freezer 4 hrs or until fully set.

>> No.17769940

>>17768840
>>17769344
This guy knows what he's talking about, although I'd say that if you're making ice cream without a proper machine, aim for a higher fat content of around 23-25%. The higher fat will hide the very large ice crystals you'll end up with so you end up with. A lot of no ice cream machine recipes will have even higher amounts like +30%, at which point you'll just be eating frozen whipped cream. I wouldn't recommend it, since it'll taste too greasy on your palate.

Also, to add on to what's already been said, absolutely do not skimp on sugar unless you really know what you're doing. The main purpose of sugar in ice cream isn't to add sweetness, it's to reduce the freezing point of your mixture and replace water. Sugar works the same as the salt you throw onto icy streets in the winter, except you can put a lot more sugar in your ice cream without it tasting like shit. Without it, your ice cream can turn into a solid block of ice that you'd chip your teeth trying to eat.

>> No.17769984

>>17769778
Not the guy you replied to, but meringue powder can work in a pinch. Anything that increases viscosity (even stuff like corn starch) will contribute some amount of stabilization. That being said, it won't be anywhere near as effective as other stabilizers and the amount required for it to be effective will likely damage the flavour of your ice cream. Most grocery stores should carry gelatin/pectin, but if you're just working with what you have in your pantry, try adding some extra egg yolk to your mix. You could also try adding things like cocoa powder. matcha powder, or tossing a mango in a blender as stabilizers (preferably not at the same time). Since they're being used for their flavour anyways, you can put a lot more in as stabilizer without ruining your ice cream. Just watch out for your fat content, since stuff like fruit puree tend to dilute the ice cream mix with excess water.

>> No.17770174

>>17769940
>Also, to add on to what's already been said, absolutely do not skimp on sugar unless you really know what you're doing
The amount I used seems low so hopefully whoever wrote the recipe knew what he was doing.
>>17769984
>since stuff like fruit puree tend to dilute the ice cream mix with excess water.
Forgot about that. I guess I'll avoid fruit since ice crystals are already going to be an issue.

>> No.17770746

>>17769419
It's pretty much all taken directly from a Chlebowski video desu