[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.33 MB, 4032x2268, 20220402_151445.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17639391 No.17639391 [Reply] [Original]

First time ever trying to make one.
It's very simple - just rice, homemade chicken stock (just water, chicken bones blanched not roasted, two onions, and black peppercorns, simmered for 6 hours), parmesan (the real one), and shiitake mushrooms.
It's delicious but I think I should've put more stock (I went with just a bit over 2/1 stock to rice ratio), and a bit less oil and cheese.

Any critique, or suggestions?

Also looking for suggestions on what to use my chicken stock for now that I have some.

>> No.17639402

Looks like a good meal, but it doesn't look like risotto to me. Risotto should be thick and creamy, or if youre a high functioning Italian then it should be almost soup like

>> No.17639404

>>17639391
>green onion
Throw it all out
Like I don't understand, are you going for taste or authenticity?
Obviously you can't just edit whatever you want if you're going for authenticity, why are you trying to even go that path by your cooking method to begin with?

>> No.17639407

roast the fuck out of your chicken bones in the future

i guess u blanch so ur broth is clear but i dont care about that i never do

line a sheet tray with parchment and dump the bones on it at 400F in the oven - check after 30 min and flip em around a bit with tongs so they brown evenly

I mean, it's good that you are cooking honestly and it's not another anti-gay chick-fil-a troll thread.

>Also looking for suggestions on what to use my chicken stock for now that I have some.

chicken pot pie, pot roast, tomato sauce, cream of (anything) soup

you'd be surprised how much better pot roast tastes made with homemade stock

>> No.17639412

>>17639404
Risotto is often topped with chives you sperg

>> No.17639420

>>17639412
>chives=green onions
Tell me you're joking right now
Green onions are also the least of the problems with your risotto
Again stick to flavor or authenticity

>> No.17639428

>>17639420
Obviously I'm not saying they are the exact same, but how is a related fresh onion flavour out of place in a risotto, it tastes fine. You are just being a pedant for the sake of it to feel important.

>> No.17639429

>>17639412
I had someone yell at me for NOT including chives in my chicken salad here the other day

maybe I'll buy some chives next time I'm at the store for something - they go bad kinda quigly - guess you could chop em up and freeze em maybe

anyways - I made a no-recipe brioche-ish dough with bread flour, eggs, butter, honey, salt

and i let it rise overnight - it rose slowly cuz of the whole stick of butter

i rolled the dough out as thin as I could get it and put a layer of (tomato paste mixed with honey) on, some shredded mozzarella (low moisture whole milk), and diced up pre-sliced pepperoni

and then i rolled the whole thing up like a cinnamon roll, crimped the edges together as best I could, and rolled the dough into a spiral

so i'm waiting for my MASSIVE pepperoni rolls to do their final proof before baking

>> No.17639439

>>17639428
Because you went through the trouble of trying to do an italian recipe, yet didn't even follow it all the way through, why?
Every single italian dish tastes better when modified from it's original recipe, but the entire point of making traditional italian food is that you DON'T modify it form what it's supposed to be.

It's like telling a joke but then explaining it at the end, what's the point? The entire point is meaningless now.

>> No.17639447

>>17639439
Damn dude you could have just told us you were autistic. OP never said he was going for arbitrary authenticity, that's something you latched onto out of fear your nonna would beat you again

>> No.17639451

>>17639447
autism is not a real thing its just an accusation you hurl at someone you disagree with to dehumanize them

>> No.17639458

>>17639451
And he's a Boomer too. Opinion discarded

>> No.17639460

>>17639447
>arbitrary authenticity
No such thing
But this comes with the territory of making cultural food.

It didn't have to be italian, he could've made an indian curry and then topped it with kraft american cheese. Sure it might've tasted good, but why would you even ask for suggestions on how to make it better when you didn't even use a proper recipe?

This isn't a question of taste, it probably tasted great, this is a question of OP's entire point. How are you going to ask for a rate on a TRADITIONAL dish that you didn't make TRADITIONALLY?

>> No.17639466

No green onion. It's not an Asian dish

>> No.17639473

>>17639458
i'm a millenial, nta, just hate when "muh autism" is hurled around as an insult instead of just stating plainly what you disagree with and why....

>>17639460
this act isn't as funny as you think it is

>> No.17639487
File: 2.39 MB, 3072x2048, dsc05231.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17639466
It also doesn't look at all like a risotto, you seriously need to go back reading on how to make it

Also if you want to make mushrooms risotto, porcini are a way better choice respect to shitake. They should cost about the same

>> No.17639524
File: 1.35 MB, 2645x1889, food.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17639473
Hey guys just made some traditional japanese sushi, what do you think I could improve about it?
btw even though it's traditional I decided to change it and use hot dog instead.
I hope it doesn't matter I'm asking for ratings on this dish despite not doing it conventionally to begin with!

>> No.17639536

>>17639402
FPBP. OP fucked up.
Stills looks sorta tasty though.
How was it?

>> No.17639564

Technique for proper risotto:

Pearlize your carnaroli rice with a little oil. Add minced shallots and garlic and sweat them out. Deglaze with white wine. Add in ladles of hot chicken stock until kinda covered, keeping pan on high heat. Whenever the rice and stock mixture get to almost dry, add in a nother ladle of hot stock, all the shine stirring and sauting it, to cream out the rice starches. Eventually the whole thing should be a tad bit al dented and runny, to the point where when you saute it, it looks like waves.

From there on out you can flavor it however you want as long as it taste good to you.

>> No.17639569

>>17639391
Keep trying

>> No.17639592

>>17639466
this
I had a girl ask me to throw some green onions into the butter mushroom and pepper omelet I was making for her and the combination was very strange even though it tasted fine

>> No.17639792

>>17639524
You could commit Sudoku

>> No.17639849

>>17639402
>>17639487
Yeah, I've literally never had risotto, let alone made one myself.
Now I see that I should've gone with much more stock than I had.
What I've gotten was basically a carbonara-like sauce coating while it really should've been much "soupier".
I'll fix that the next time I'll make it.

I've grabbed shiitake because that was the cheapest "regular mushroom" option.
Usually, I just use champignons because I rarely ever cook mushrooms and you can't go wrong with these.
I'll check if porcini are reasonably available nearby.

>>17639536
Pretty good, actually.
The flavor was nice and concentrated, explosive even.
It did feel like it should be less dry, so I did clearly fucked up in that regard.

>>17639407
Yeah, I'll try roasting bones the next time.
It's just that I was making bone stock seriously for the first time, so I wanted to go plain and simple first.

I'll look into those suggestions, thanks.

>>17639564
I started with caramelizing mushrooms, adding onions, and frying everything together until onions become translucent, deglazed with white wine, evaporated it mostly, and added more oil and rice.
Then I fried it until the rice started to become translucent and started adding hot chicken stock one ladle at a time totaling about 2 and a half volumes of rice in stock. That was clearly too little.

Is starting with mushrooms wrong?
Also, is fully covering the rice with stock the first time you add it important? I guess it lowers the cooking temperature and results in rice that's more boiled than fried?

>>17639412
>>17639420
>>17639428
>>17639429
>>17639439
>>17639460
>>17639466
Is there really this much of a difference between green onions and chives?
It's just I can buy the former easily in the local supermarket but I'll have to search for chives (and I'm not even sure if anything nearby sells them)

Flavor-wise onions were nice.

>> No.17641427

>>17639849
start with the onions, then the mushrooms - make sure to do the mushrooms at a decent heat to get the water out of them before you start adding your rice. i wouldn't worry about a specific rice to stock ratio, just make sure you have enough liquid in the pan to start forming the correct texture. also i tend to grate parmesan straight in at the end because it helps with forming a super creamy texture - with homemade stock you have a lot more rom to add parmesan since you dont have the saltiness of store-bought. also i'd recommend adding some dried porcini - you can rehydrate and mix a few through for an extra flavour profile or just stick them in the pot your keeping your stock hot in.

>> No.17642714

>>17639407
reddit

>> No.17643627

>>17639391
Looks pretty dry actually. It should relax on the plate instead of piling on.
For the stock, use a mirepoix (1celery, 1carrot, 2onion) and some herbs (I think thyme and bay leaves are fine, most people also add rosemary and parsley but I'm fine without them, personally)
I usually roast the bones, not much a fan of blanching them.

For your leftover chicken stock, you can always use that for a soup. Not even a need for meat, just some carrots and potatoes and corn on the cob thrown in there.
You can also make a glace (just that pure stock boiled down to a sauce) and you can just use that as reinforcement to any dish, really. Marco Pierre White would probably tell you to marinate more chicken with it. I bet that method would be bomb af with jerk chicken
Also, you didn't cook the cheese along with the rice did you? You shouldn't do that if you did. Good parmesan is best raw, grated over a final dish and mixed in with it.

Hope this helps fren

>> No.17643846

>>17639391
"Risotto" actually refers to a specific thing, which is not what you posted. You should have said "bachelor chow" instead.

>> No.17644516
File: 1.49 MB, 4032x2268, 20220403_151846.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, I've tried once more, and the thread is still alive, so here's the result.

I've used way more stock as was suggested to keep it runnier.
I also added parmesan just at the end when the pot was already off heat, as I did fuck it up the last time as the other anon has pointed out, and added it during the cooking process.

Sadly, I couldn't procure chives or porcini - nothing nearby sells them, so it's still green onions and shiitake.

>> No.17644563

>>17644516
Now it looks like a stew. I think you're just a lost cause.

>> No.17644573

>>17644563
It's not a stew. It keeps its shape and is very creamy.
I've evened it out by shaking it a bit to make sure it's runny enough. But if you pile it in the middle it'll mostly sit in the middle as a pile.

>> No.17644627

>>17644516
Terrible.

>> No.17645529

>>17644627
I'm trying to improve here, man.
Can you be more specific?