[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 131 KB, 680x1020, irish-stew-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17226106 No.17226106 [Reply] [Original]

Also what meat should I use? The meat always comes out tough and stringy

>> No.17226139

>>17226106
use chicken

>> No.17226158

>>17226106
Beef chuck. Toss in a Dutch oven. Add veggies. Add some broth. Add some red wine. Add some thyme. Cook in the oven until the meat pulls apart easily with a fork. It will take a long time. Or toss it into a pressure cooker for 45 mins or so.

>> No.17226164
File: 313 KB, 112x112, 1629159246304.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1lb of stew meat
1 cup of carrots
2 cups of potatoes skin on
1 cup of celery
1 cup of onion
5-6 cups of beef broth
1/4 cup of flour
2 tbsp of oil or butter, if using oil use more salt when seasoning

Sauté the vegetables minus the potatoes on medium high until the onion is translucent
Dump them in your slow cooker and throw your beef in the pan until it's just browned on each side, I like to season my beef before I start preeping everything with black pepper and salt
When the meat is browned and releasing its juices start stirring in the flour little by little
Pour in 3 cups of beef broth slowly as you mix
Let it simmer for a little while to thicken
Pour into your slow cooker and add in the potatoes
Cook on high for 4-5 hours
Season to taste with whatever ya like I just use black pepper

>> No.17226173

>>17226164
Forgot to say to pour in the rest of the beef broth when you put in the meat and potatoes into the slow cooker

>> No.17226181
File: 136 KB, 853x482, 1636752576181.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17226164
Also, I use 1.5-2lbs of stew meat because I like a hearty stew

>> No.17226186

>>17226106
Any meat can be made soft if you cook it for long enough. You just need to be patient.

>> No.17226215
File: 2.65 MB, 4032x3024, 618989DD-766F-4D9D-BC2C-2BEBA1259371.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If I have a tougher cut of meat, I’ll start the normal stew process by searing and building the base but I’ll let just the meat and onions cook for as long as I need to in the liquid and wait to add the more fragile components (carrot potato etc) this allows you to cook the meat for as long as you need too without everything else se getting too soft

>> No.17226220

>>17226106
If the meat comes out tough you ain't cook it for long enough

>> No.17226232

>>17226106
Yesterday was the worst dinner I have ever had. I generally don’t socialize with coworkers, but for some reason I did. I should have stuck to my rule about forgoing outside of work socializing. Six coworkers met at someone’s house yesterday under the pretense of ‘iris stew’. I grudgingly accepted the invitation and arrived at 2 pm (when I was told to arrive). I brought traditional soda bread that had to be baked first. The host made a bit of a stink about using the oven when he had other things in there, but I told him I wanted it fresh.

The stew was still cooking and the host was already drinking alcohol at this time. In the middle of a conversation with a member of the opposite sex, the host tells me, “Please, no talk about politics. Please not today.” I said if more people talked about politics we would be in a better country. He got very argumentative, so I just dropped it.

I was drinking apple juice that I brought over and the host kept trying to get me to have a beer. He was obviously intoxicated and starting saying how maybe I would be relaxed and ‘cooler’ if I had some alcohol. It was honestly pathetic, like peer pressure from a high school TV show.

Anyway, at that point I became withdrawn and went for a walk. I came back right before dinner and that is when the fun started. He made ‘Irish stew’ with beef, carrots, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, hot sauce, oregano, tomato, and various ingredients. I started telling other that proper Irish stew should only contain mutton, potato, onion and water and that beef, tomato, black pepper, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and other ingredients would be available then and therefore it was a modern stew, not an Irish stew.

We started eating and someone asked about what I had said about real Irish stew. The host looked so annoyed so I told him. He turned red and told me if I didn’t like it I could, in his words, “get the fuck out and take my apple juice with me”.

>> No.17226238

>>17226232
I was shocked and speechless. He left the room and his girlfriend (they are unmarried but live together) apologized. Eventually, people started talking more comfortably and he came back and was brooding and drinking more.

The stew was okay, but not authentic. I asked him if he knew that mutton was on sale at a local store and he flew in a tirade, bringing up any small error or faux pas I have ever committed at work. People were trying to calm him down, and I simply responded to him in a quiet and calm voice, and said that I appreciated his invitation and his take on Irish stew, but it would have been nicer if the company had been more warm.

He got up and pulled me out of the chair, stretching my sweater at the neck in the process. He was literally screaming in my face and has his fist up in a threatening manner.

It was a horrible affair, but I decided to make authentic Irish stew today because I was let down yesterday and had a hankering for it. It is simmering on the stove and I plan on bringing it to lunch on Monday, one bowl for me and some for the host. It will be a subtle form of revenge as well as a way to show him that I am a better cook and am the more mature, forgiving person.

I'm still wondering how work will be tomorrow and what stories and rumors he's going to start spreading about me.

>> No.17226241
File: 221 KB, 1500x1320, crock pot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17226106
>method
Use a crock pot on high for 4 to 5 hours after browning the meat and then onions in a pan. If your water or broth is hot before you put it in the slow cooker it'll cook faster. It is impossible for your meat to be tough if you use a slow cooker.

>> No.17226258

>>17226238
Jesus Christ dude. You may be an autistic but this guy has Aspergers. A volatile mix

>> No.17226296

>>17226258
retard

>> No.17226309

>>17226238
lmao what the fuck am I reading

am I really that new here?

>> No.17226310

>>17226238
I was eating a meal in the kitchen when he came over and started bragging to my housemates about his success with girls. I couldn't stand it, so I proceeded to ask them all if they were virgins. They all looked at me weirdly and said that they had lost their virginity long ago. I felt so inferior, as it reminded me of how much I have missed out in life. And then this black boy named Chance said that he lost his virginity when he was only thirteen! In addition, he said that the girl he lost his virginity to was a blonde white girl! I was so enraged that I almost splashed him with my orange juice. I indignantly told him that I did not believe him, and then I went to my room to cry. I cried and cried and cried, and then I called my mother and cried to her on the phone.

How could an inferior, ugly black boy be able to get a white girl and not me? I am beautiful, and I am half white myself. I am descended from British aristocracy. He is descended from slaves. I deserve it more. I tried not to believe his foul words, but they were already said, and it was hard to erase from my mind. If this is actually true, if this ugly black filth was able to have sex with a blonde white girl at the age of thirteen while I've had to suffer virginity all my life, then this just proves how ridiculous the female gender is. They would give themselves to this filthy scum, but they reject ME? The injustice!

>> No.17226371

>>17226238
I love this pasta. I am genuine curious if the original author was really such a sperg or really skilled on hitting the sweet spot between cringe autism and real behavior.

>> No.17226388

>>17226309
pasta my niggarino

>> No.17226427

>>17226181
>>17226173
Fucking excellent recipe, I do this all the time with shitty cuts of beef and it's awesome

>> No.17226502

>>17226164
>>17226181
Thanks cat friend. That first gif looks like my childhood cat that died of kidney failure when I was 17. I was already in a bad place and it sent me into a sprial of depression and drug abuse my senior year of high school. RIP Misty.

>> No.17226504

>>17226388
figured as much lol but gahdamn thats good

new to /ck/ but this made my night

>> No.17226521

dont use precut stew meat... buy a decent cut of meat and separate it when its done cooking. will be more tender and flavorful because it has the fat intact

>> No.17226578

>>17226106
It's sloppa, there is no recipe only an understanding of key principles.
Firstly you will want to balance the 5 tastes in whatever it is you make (salt, sweet, sour, bitter, savory)
If your meat is coming out dry and stringy either you did not cook it long enough or your gravy is thin. You'll want to have some gelatin in your sauce or a good emulsion of fat in the sauce.
Make sure to cook with some alcohol as well. Adam Fagfusea has a good video explaining why that matters.
The actual flavours of the sloppa aren't as important as balancing taste and richness of the sauce.
Also if you got one a pressure cooker is amazing at making sloppa. Way better than a shitty slow cooker.

>> No.17226601

>>17226164
Definitely do not cook it on high for 4 to 5 hours. You want a gentle simmer at most

>> No.17226609

>>17226241
>If your water or broth is hot before you put it in the slow cooker it'll cook faster.
A few minuets at most.

>> No.17226639

>>17226504
I went to McDonald's today and got a Filet-O-Fish combo with a bacon cheeseburger on the side. I was eating it in my vehicle in the parking lot and listening to an audiobook when I glanced up and saw the McDonald's worker I ordered from outside having a cigarette.

She waved at me and I nodded and had to wait 7 minutes before she went back inside and I could eat in comfort again. I don't think that employees should be bothering or even trying to socialize with customers outside of the McDonald's restaurant or drive through, but that is another story.

I went to McDonald's for dinner tonight and got a McChicken combo with a bacon cheeseburger on the side. As I was driving to the second window the same girl was still working. She was acting somewhat obsequious and attempting small talk when she asked, 'why don't you come eat inside instead of in the parking lot where it is cold'.

That really bothered me for many reasons. First of all, I don't want my routine or actions to be tracked by a fast food employee. Secondly, she should not try to tell me how I should live my life. I do not want to eat inside because I find it less comfortable and would much rather be inside my vehicle listening to an audiobook and enjoying myself and my privacy.

Overall, I think it was very unprofessional to bring this up. I should have a clean slate with each drive through visit, not have to get the third degree because I committed some sort of faux pas. Which I don't think I did, because I often see people eating in fast food parking lots. How does she know I am not busy going to work or somewhere in a rush?

How do you feel about eating in your vehicle in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant versus eating inside the restaurant?

>> No.17226728

>>17226164
This is a good recipe, thankyou anon

>> No.17227022

>>17226106
1 pot
Add 1 can of stew

>> No.17227087

>>17226106
Bay leaves are a must, no matter what recipe you choose they will substantially improve the taste.

>> No.17227089

>>17226106
beef bourguignon, it's the only choice.

>> No.17227095

>>17226220
Or cooked it at too high of a temperature. You want the stew to be simmering and not boiling or else it can get tough.

>> No.17227096

>>17226106

Don't use meat.

>> No.17227161

>>17226215
very smart!

gonna start making more stews and definitely will keep this in mind.

>> No.17227580

>>17226164
This is good and simple.

I do a very similar thing but turn it into a spicy broth by using a can of crushed tomatoes, chilis and a small pack of ready "taco seasoning" and using beans in stead of potatoes.

Yeah, lazy, but it is intended to be. Sometimes you need foods that take less than 10 minutes to put together and can cook for a long time, waiting for you instead of you waiting for it. Also, I use a normal pot on the stove.

>> No.17227594

>>17226164
All I would add is some spices.

Mine are usually just black pepper, bay leaves and whole allspice. I would also add garlic, whole cloves or roughly chopped.

>> No.17227750

>>17226164
>Cook on high for 4-5 hours
Bad idea

>> No.17228158

Stew is for bastards and poors