[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 83 KB, 1120x600, 43_Michelin-Star-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16889909 No.16889909 [Reply] [Original]

>but you have to work 70 hours a week minimum anon! don't you feel grateful I hired you to work in our michelin star establishment?
Would you do it?

>> No.16889920

dead meme rating system

>> No.16889923

If your goal is to be trained under a highly respected head chef and you want to become a well known chef/owner of your own at some point.

Sure, a few years in a Michelin star kitchen can be quite valuable.

Just realize you'll be working your ass off the entire time and probably hate yourself.

It's not something i'd recommend doing for the income.

>> No.16889969

>>16889909
no. i've worked 80+ hours in a kitchen plus the hour drive commute up and down the mountain which left me with enough personal time to take a shit, eat something horrible and hit the hay. it's a wasted life. and i love cooking.

>> No.16889978

>>16889969
How much did you earn anon?

>> No.16890004

>>16889978
I don't remember, 12 imperial credits per hour. enough to be in debt while having to have roommates while never experiencing anything I was spending the money on

>> No.16890013
File: 74 KB, 1024x512, o-HARVARD-UNIVERSITY-BUILDING-facebook-1024x512.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>but you have to study 70 hours a week minimum anon! don't you feel grateful i allowed you to pay us 80K a year?
would you do it?

>> No.16890017

>>16890013
fuck no

>> No.16890020

No, cooking for me is about having fun not having to autistically make everything as precisely as a nuclear warhead

>> No.16890027

>>16890004
don't let that turn you away from cooking as a profession or hobby. you just have to find the right situation. you have to be able to do all of the other things in life. no beautiful place, or dream job will make you be happy, if your form is not in tip top shape allowing you to be able to grasp happiness.

>> No.16890041

>>16890027
cooking is one thing, service is another

>> No.16890048

>>16890041
this is true. that rush breaks your body down fast.

>> No.16890088

>>16889909
What's even more fucked, is you'll have to work that much FOR FREE, often for months before they even consider actually hiring you. It's called a stage, it's like an unpaid internship, but instead of fetching coffee for mr. Schlomoberg, you're in a hot kitchen, wielding a knife, doing intense physical labor while drug addicted psychopaths scream and throw shit at you.
t. Two month stage at Alinea before I lost my fucking shit and punched (((Achatz))) in the teeth and walked out.
Really, working at a Michelin star place is almost no different from working at a regular restaurant.

>> No.16890092

>>16890020
>yeah DONT go to anons restaurants, he served a “fun” steak, his words not mine. He put chocolate sauce and sprinkles on it

>> No.16890099

>>16890088
to be fair, while it is usually done without pay, you do at least get to eat.

>> No.16890104

>Ruin myself for poverty wages so rich fucks can boss me around and cavort with trophy wives and girlfriends I don't get to fuck and eat prime steak and caviar that I can't afford before hopping in their limo to have a party that I'm not invited to on their yacht.

Nah, would rather live in a van and make a van family with a qt hitchhiker girl. I'll make food just as good under the shelter of a bridge or tarp with one knife, one pan, a fire, and inspiration mainlined direct from God.

>> No.16890112

>>16890104
Have the multiple murders involving van lifers not taught you something

>> No.16890113

>>16890099
yeah, staff food lel
you wont be getting a free full course tasting menu because you worked there for a week unpaid

>> No.16890114

>>16890099
Yeah well family meal there was usually those stupid fucking God damn sugar balloons or some faggot shit like that.
I got a small pub, I pour beer and flip burgers on the flat top, I fry fries, it's just me and I've been happy doing this for the past six years, that bullshit just completely killed my notion of being a fancy chef when I wouldn't have made much more than a child molester working the grill at an Applebee's.

>> No.16890118

>>16890112
Beware the Van Chad who only has one knife.

>> No.16890119

>>16890104
Hint: most restaurant owners aren't rich.

>> No.16890129

>>16890088
What station were you working? I didn’t think a new hire would get shit on because he’d be on prep

>> No.16890141

>>16890119
yeah, there are a handful, and they're the ones that have become celebrity chefs. They'll do TV shows, they own a dozen+ restaurants, AND cheaper easier to afford mid-tier options (Gordon Ramsay Burger being a good example) that allow access to your brand to people who wouldn't normally be able to afford it.

It takes decades of dedication before you're bringing in that kind of money and you still have to get lucky to even have a chance of getting that far.

Otherwise, even owners/chefs of 2-3 nicer restaurants are probably only taking home ~$250k/year at most, which they're probably going to have to reinvest a good portion back into their restaurants to see any real brand growth.

>> No.16890191

>>16890129
Mostly prep, sautee a few services. I was already experienced and left my position as sous chef at another, "lesser" place just outside of Chicago. I was already pissed about having to stage like some teenager, but I grit my teeth and bore it. The food really wasn't even that much more intense than what I had already been doing for years by that point, but grant is a NANOmanager, and would throw shit and have a hissy fit if something was even a millimeter off, and also is just one of those effete types who feels superior to everyone. I sucked it up for two months, until I finally asked when I'd be getting paid, and he was instantly red faced screaming and actually stamping his feet like a child, a piece of spit got in my eye and I had enough and floored with him a right cross.
It's been so long but it still sickens me with rage, I might have beat him to death just an hour before service had I not been immediately swarmed by the rest of the staff.

>> No.16890201

>>16890191
"mostly prep"
prep isn't a station bro, were you doing prep for larder, garnish, pastry or what?
regardless, I salute you for ko'ing the head chef if you actually did so

>> No.16890209

>>16890141
Yeah, I make a little south of that number, and even being a small place with only me working there, I have to put most of that back into the business. Liquor license, property tax, resort tax, this tax, that tax, food supplies, dishes, disposable shit has gone through the roof since covid, and I really only make any money in the summer, this time of year is mostly dead and I shut down all the way in winter.

>> No.16890212

>>16890201
I guess garnish and pastry, I said what I said because it was different every day and I'm pretty sure they just took advantage of free labor.

>> No.16890215

>>16890201
>if you actually did so
Doubt it, Grant Achatz doesn't seem like the kind of dude to turn down the chance to ruin someone's life over assault.

Especially if it's in his own kitchen with likely a half dozen people happily willing to testify for him.

>> No.16890238

>>16890215
Why do you think I fucked off to rural Wisconsin?

>> No.16890332

>>16890238
So you're saying there is a warrant out for your arrest in Chicago for felony assault?

>> No.16890466

>>16890332
Im saying I got arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault, paid a fine and a doctor bill, and moved to Wisconsin with all my probation shit transferred there, and I moved to Wisconsin because I already knew I was blacklisted everywhere in Chicago and probably the rest of Illinois, and I'm honestly surprised none of it hit the news in any way, but it didn't and no one here even knows about Alinea and Michelin is just a tire to these people, and bought a little place out here doing my little pub thing.

>> No.16890506

>>16890466
Only got a year of probation btw, and this was all around the end of 2015. I only got one punch on the guy, not a ko like the other anon thought, but if it was a match I got a knockdown. The restitution I paid was for the treatment of a bruised cheek, still charged me $3k for it but it was worth it.
Assault is usually just a misdemeanor charge, maybe if I'd gotten to stomp on his face like I wanted to, my life would have wound up much different, but a single punch is a slap on the wrist and you have to pee in a cup and do anger management for a little while.

>> No.16890518

>>16890466
>>16890506
sounds like LARP to me, if you had the capital on hand to buy a place to run as a pub, you weren't really making your money off your cooking as it was.

Either you're a trust fund kid, have deep-pocketed connections, or it's LARP.

You're telling me you had enough cash on hand to work at Alinea for free for 2 months, payout $3k in cash for the assault, AND still had enough cash to move to Wisconsin AND buy a place to start a pub (property alone would cost a pretty penny, before furnishing it).

Just seems fanciful.

>> No.16890565

>>16890518
Yeah, you caught me, I'm your cliche rich kid failure who goes to cooking school because he sucks, works as a chef for a while and eventually can't even hack that. If I had just stayed in my lane in the first place, my career was going well, I made good money and had some savings to get through a month for a stage, but yeah daddy paid for month two, paid for all my legal shit, and paid the down payment on this place and co signed the loans I had to take out for the rest. It's kind of a really specific story to be a larp though, don't you think?
I come from money and even if what I'm doing stops paying off, I'll be fine and when the old man dies, I'm getting a couple of his properties while mom gets his money.

>> No.16891607

>>16890565
I wish you luck man. I know what it’s like to be on the wrong side of the law. Sounds like you got your act together at least. Maybe getting moved out of chicago will be a blessing in disguise

>> No.16891753

>>16890565
just kill yourself man, seriously no one gives a fuck