[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 79 KB, 980x653, RS1149_83252903-scr[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.16807856 [Reply] [Original]

What is/was your parents' cooking like?

>> No.16807858

It was hot and in my face nightly. The further I get from it the more I appreciate the effort not necessarily the results.

>> No.16807861

>>16807856
It was good. My favorite dish to this day is red beans and rice, which my mom made from scratch. Growing up really makes you appreciate what your parents did for you as a kid.

>> No.16807883

>>16807856
No one is going to believe this but my mother is a physician and a homemaker. She would only cook twice a week and all she knew how to cook was like banquet food, so turkeys, prime rib, lobster, fish lamb. She only really knew how to cook for guests and so when she cooked dinner for the week it would be a feast and it’s left overs all throughout the week. I grew up pretty overweight just because I was eating a pound of butter every day almost to a fault. I extremely grateful to have grown up in a very fortunate environment where not only I would get a hot meal every night, but also some of the best quality food I could get. But I definitely got fat from that and whenever I leave home I drop like 20lbs of weight.

>> No.16807895

>>16807883
Extremely believable really.
Glad you got that experience.

>> No.16807907

>>16807895
I try to share it with other people. my mom loves cooking for people it’s all she ever really does other than work. I think trying your best to feed someone is one of the purest things you can do. For me whenever someone cooks for me, no matter their skill level I try to make sure they feel good that they tried their best.

>> No.16807920

>>16807883
>physician
>makes her kid fat
Trust the experts.

>> No.16807934
File: 98 KB, 956x960, 1632523298752.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>16807856
My mom's cooking is pretty bad in general, but she has a couple things she can make well. I don't know if my dad knows how to make anything beyond pizza bagels.
My grandma's cooking has been complete shit for my entire life and has only gotten worse as she's gotten older. I think her taste buds got blown out by all the smoking she used to do.

>> No.16807937
File: 53 KB, 791x982, 86201749.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>16807856
tonight for dinner we had salad with leaf lettuce and baby spinach (i put shredded mild cheddar, bacon bits, pickled onions, and thousand island dressing on mine), baked potato (i put butter and more shredded cheese on mine, (put the foil back on it for the cheese to melt while i ate the strip side of the veal t-bone (cooked in a grill pan on the stove cause it was raining or else it would have been over charcoal and seasoned with pretty much just garlic pepper)) sour cream, and bacon bits, then ate the sirloin portion of the veal after the potato. with a hard cider. it was very good.

>> No.16807940

>>16807920
Yeah it’s really common actually, like I’m overweight, my mom is near obese, all of her colleagues who aren’t like triathletes are overweight, one of them is actually in the hospital right now because he’s a smoker and he had a stroke, and he is a top anesthesiologist in New York for the Icahn school of medicine.

>> No.16807942

>>16807858
Pretty much this exactly. My mom wasn't a good cook but we always had actual breakfast and a hot dinner. Never just got cold cereal for breakfast or something microwaved for dinner. I didn't appreciate it at the time but looking back she put in a lot of effort to always keep us fed, and honestly I kind of miss the overcooked meat and bland vegetables.

>> No.16807943

>>16807937
Nice whip

>> No.16807965

>>16807942
Yep. Meat, something that was green at one point, and a starch.

>> No.16807968
File: 75 KB, 640x640, 1606973204298.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>16807943
i think i got that from eb*umsworld

>> No.16807971

My parents cooking was pretty terrible boomer-tier shit. Their house smelled like shit, and the food tasted like shit. I don’t know if I can tell you how much that affected me. My mom was basically just trying to raise me, and there was no room for her to even get a job, which was kind of sad. My dad worked for the post office and just didn’t have a lot of job skills. So, basically, I got left with my mom and three siblings to take care of. Sometimes I think that was why we only had one TV in the house, just so she could get some TV time with me instead of my brother or sister. She got really sick a few years ago, and I helped to take care of her. That was just a rough time.

>> No.16807979

>>16807971
Circle of life closing again. They took care of you, you take care of them. You're different and (hopefully) stronger for it

>> No.16807993

My mother did all the cooking.

Unfortunately, she cared way more about her job than really anything else, including cooking. Her goal was to make meals the quickest and fastest way possible so she would have as much time as possible for work, which resulted in very little in terms of flavor. Most of the meals she made were pretty mediocre and there isn't a single meal she every made that I long for "home cooking" for. And then she would restrict me from eating more if I was still hungry because she wanted there to be leftovers, so I grew up emaciated. I appreciate the effort she had to do to have dinner every night though, just wish she was more of a mother than a workaholic.

My father can barely even boil water. He attempted to make a lasagna and it's the only time I've ever had a nearly inedible lasagna.

>>16807942
>bland vegetables.
My mother's cooking of vegetables made me never eat them as a child. The hallmark was her method of steaming broccoli that was putting them plain in a casserole dish, putting some water in the dish, and microwaving it

Also as I got older, I am not a good cook at all but I would do extremely basic cooking techniques and despite her cooking for 20+ years more than me she acted like I was a chef for doing it. Like as in (poorly) mincing fresh garlic when she always used the horrible jarred stuff, she doesn't know how to cut onions, she thinks that me oven roasting the aforementioned vegetables with olive oil/salt/pepper/garlic power/onion powder/red pepper flakes is some gourmet shit. But then she's completely unwilling for me to explain to her even basic things, saying how she's been cooking for 30 years and that it takes too long.

Sorry for the blog

>> No.16807995

>>16807856
Mom always makes somewhat good Italian food. Dad makes meat.

>> No.16807999

>>16807856
Couldn't cook for shit. Knew nothing about nutrition either

>> No.16808056

The bad: my parents typically made the same few meals. I grew up never eating red meat or spicy things. My mom overcooked the shit out of everything because she's terrified of undercooked food. My dad steamed and overcooked everything until it was mush. He would mix way too much stuff together. We also used the same scratched-up Teflon pan forever, and I never learned you weren't supposed to use metal utensils on them or replace them regularly. They are boomers and never look up recipes online. They just stick with what they know, try to wing things, or occasionally take out a physical recipe book.

The good: my mom made sure we ate very healthily, no soda, junk food, eating out, had lots of vegetables. I love my mom's spinach salads, and how she seasons vegetables with garlic and tarragon. I love her meatless spinach lasagna, as weird as that sounds. I also love the spinach artichoke casserole she makes at Thanksgiving. Now that I'm typing this out, I realize she's great at making spinach stuff. My dad makes the best pancake breakfast in the entire world. He also raised me on weird Floridian food like boiled peanuts and pimento cheese sandwiches that I love.

>> No.16808072

>>16808056
>They are boomers and never look up recipes online. They just stick with what they know, try to wing things, or occasionally take out a physical recipe book.
My mother had literally at least one hundred cookbooks in her kitchen and never, ever used them. Would even buy more and then never open them. Only made the same handful of mediocre meals

Sad thing was when she would want a new recipe and rather than read one of the cookbooks she wasted thousands of dollars on she would just print one offline. And a lot of times, the recipes she printed from the internet were the simplest blandest ways to make things. Still remember her meatloaf recipe of just ground beef, milk, bread crumbs, egg, and raw onion with barely any salt and pepper.

>> No.16808075

dad burns stuff in a pan, mum outs everything in a slow-cooker until its mush

>> No.16808090

>>16808072
Kek, have you ever asked why they buy them?

>> No.16808091

>>16807856
Anger. There was alot of anger. And there was also the "do it yourself". Almost forgot. There was also drinking. And there was drugs

>> No.16808098

>>16808075
>mum outs everything in a slow-cooker until its mush
Luckily my mom rarely used a slow cooker, but every time she did the food came out like shit. her chicken enchilada recipe was made in a slow cooker with chicken breasts and bland canned green enchilada sauce and it was god awful. Made me think that slow cookers were really bad. Then I made a pork shoulder in a slow cooker with a bbq rub that sat in the fridge overnight, onions and orange juice/zest and it was really good.

>> No.16808123

>>16808091
Son?

>> No.16808133

>>16808090
Yeah and of course all she would ever tell me was to shut the hell up. Also a lot of them were fad diet things that she still never used. And I remember her having at least 10 Indian and Chinese food cookbooks when she never made a single Indian dish in her life, the Chinese food she would make would use a bottled sauce poured over chicken.

Was sad when I would just ask her to please make something from one of those cookbooks, even the basic americas test kitchen cookbook a huge one with like 1000 recipes in it, i would even ask to help her and she would refuse.

>> No.16808147

>>16808133
perhaps they were there to impress guests

>> No.16808148
File: 50 KB, 1029x183, goulash.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Mother: 6/10
she has a whole box of recipes from her father (Italian) and mother (Polskie) but she does them all wrong (burns the garlic, thinks she's browning the meat but she's just steaming it, shit like that)

Father: 1/10

>> No.16808150

When you guys point out and recognize shortcomings that's good. Not repeating them is better. Forewarned is forearmed

>> No.16808155

>>16808147
My parents are both asocial autists who literally never had guests to their house once in over 20 years.

>> No.16808159

>>16808148
>hamburger meat with nothing else not even seasoning
No joke that is how my father made a lasagna. I never saw him assemble it but when you would hit the meat all you would taste is just plain ground beef.

>> No.16808323
File: 46 KB, 903x1024, IMG_2446.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Literally neither of my parents cooked at all. I just got either fast food or packaged shit growing up until I was an adult and could buy my own groceries. My parents gave me diet soda instead of water. Occasionally my dad would grill burgers, which were the size and consistency of meatloaves overcooked into a shoe with a bunch of weird shit mixed into the meat and a weird sour smokey taste because he grilled over woodchips. It was awful. I'm convinced niggers had it better than me.

>> No.16808327

>>16807856
My mother bought me fast food for breakfast and dinner

>> No.16808333

>parents let me eat a bowl of sugary cereal as my only breakfast every morning
>parents let me have a small shitty sandwich or pizza shit for lunch every day

It's no wonder I've been emaciated my entire life. Never had a base to build from.

>> No.16808369

>>16808056
Oh I'm reminded of another thing. My mom insisted everything be refrigerated because she was paranoid about food going bad, so when she would make us toast in the morning, she would basically destroy it by trying to spread slices of cold butter on it. She did make us hot chocolate with Ovaltine every morning though, so that was nice.

>> No.16808489

>>16808159
yeah it's fucking gross. talk about people who never once put any thought into the food they've eating their entire lives

>> No.16808501

>>16807856
Parents couldn't really cook, just hamburger helper type of stuff. Dad liked to grill but for some reason he thought the appropriate way to cook with his propane grill was to burn the meat until it was encased entirely within a quarter inch thick layer of black char. I'm guessing that at one point he had seen someone do a smoked brisket and tried to make his meat look as close to that as he could. Grandma was a pretty good cook and taught me some stuff.

>> No.16808652

>>16807856
Mom did about as good a job for someone that never got taught anything by her parents and worked full time as I can imagine, with amerifat basic stuff like baked/pan fried meats (e.g. pork chop), chili on rice or spaghetti with browned hamburger and jarred sauce. Every time I see shit like this thread on the internet I get more thankful. Dad did mediocre dad cooking (frying crap, grilling crap, random dishes when he got excited to make something), died a long time before I developed much taste in terms of food.

>> No.16808663

>>16807856
Mom's was very good for most things, but she was a bit obsessive about low fat so certain things like taco meat were always extremely dry. But she had a nice range of chicken dishes and desserts that were all delicious. My dad only ever made french toast, was a thing he'd do every weekend up until my siblings and I were adolescents, one time my mom made it and my brothers preferred it, so my dad's favored avenue for breakfast family bonding was destroyed.

>> No.16808673

>>16808663
lol I can imagine "my special dish for the keeds" NTR destroying your will to cook

>> No.16808677

>>16807979
>you take care of them
Absolutely fucking not. Your kids aren't your retirement plan. Both of my grandfathers died with barely any support, and left money to their wives. My grandmothers both live on the opposite side of the country, but will not have put an undue burden on their children. As it should be.

>> No.16808683
File: 58 KB, 976x850, greenfrog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>16807856
infinite frozen meals
rice and hamburger
hamburger helper
they had the audacity to say i didnt know how to use a kitchen once and that spurred me to learn cooking out of spite

>> No.16808686

wheat bix with sugar, nutella or cream cheese sandwich for lunch. Sometimes would forget it or would become a soggy mess because of the heat so wouldnt eat it.

>> No.16808784

>>16807856
mom and dad were great cooks, they just hardly ever did.

>> No.16808805

Damn you poor saps. My mom’s cooking was fantastic, made the other kids and my friends jealous, my dad’s cooking was alright passable. Im glad they taught me how to cook. Reading some of these replies is just dreadful. Frozen dinners and burnt food no thanks

>> No.16808818

>>16807856
Their cooking was peak boomer. Oven at 375. No more, that's a fire hazard, no less, it'll take too long. Water in the pan of course, you'd have to be insane to leave that out it'll burn you fool.
I have chewed things you people wouldn't believe.

>> No.16808821

>>16807856
Fantastic.
Probably the main reason I haven't moved out yet.

>> No.16808822

>>16808683
and now you post your taco bell orders on /ck/, you're so much better than them :)

>> No.16808825

>>16808822
Really need to put people down a peg huh

>> No.16808828

>>16808818
>Water in the pan of course, you'd have to be insane to leave that out it'll burn you fool
Amberlynn Reid-tier

>> No.16808926

>>16807856
Both of them are really good cooks, dad is more on the hosting side of things with fancy dishes.
He also doesn't believe a man who'd starve without assistance is really a man so he sent me to uni in a different city alone, and is planning to do the same with my brother. "You'll go hungry once, next time you'll find it out of desperation"

>> No.16808968

>>16807856
Honestly they didnt gave me enough food and they would frown if i asked for more. Looking back i realise it was really bad parenting .

>> No.16808985

Never knew my Mom, so I was raised by my Dad who worked 10-12 hour night shifts for most of my childhood.
He would usually make rice, and then either soup or some veggie dish and leave them in the fridge. On his days off he'd often make meat dishes.
He was actually a good cook and I never went hungry, but in retrospect he was almost constantly exhausted, and that reflected in him often making the same 1-3 dishes on repeat for months at a time.

>> No.16808988

>>16807856
Awful but edible, too much processed food.
Meat was burnt, potatoes were burnt, vegetables were soggy and burnt.

She's from the era that though fat was unhealthy, which explains why everything was burnt with the fact that she didn't monitor the food on the stove, she replaced butter with margarine filled with transfat, way less tasty.

It was lazy and gross, just like her parenting.

Eating at my grandma's place was a blessing. She was the opposite and would pour in all the butter, her turkey milanese was sensational.

>> No.16808989

>>16808985
10/10 effort though anon

My dad made one dish over and over and fucking over. There are legit things my brother and I can never eat again because of how disgusted we became. Literally an overcooked hamburger patty on a plate with cold canned green beans every night for months.

>> No.16808997

>>16808988
> lazy and gross, just like her parenting
The reason why late millenials&zoomers came out so awful

>> No.16809000

Horrid. Mom thought I was being sweet when I learned to cook on my own as a kid to lessen her burden when it was because she couldn't boil water.

>> No.16809040

>>16807861
Did she grow the beans and rice herself?

>> No.16809069

>>16808997
Yeah, peobably got nothing to do with inflation, housing prices, immigrants

>> No.16809122

>>16807856
mom was a hospital cook, so it’s mostly bland because no salt
dad just cooks stir-fry, rice and other asain dishes
both are alright, but I always preferred to cook for myself growing up

>> No.16809137

>>16807856
>dad
He had a limited range but he could make some decent
>burgers
>steak
>oatmeal
And then
>mom
She was okay, hit or miss. My favorites
>fried potatoes
>any chicken dish
>spaghetti
>Mexican food
>pies

>> No.16809145

>>16807856
barely cooked, we went out to eat almost every night at different restaurants. if not that, then we got fast food. i have always been a skeleton, but it took a long time after moving out on my own to stop eating fast food every day. now i just order a pizza on the weekend.

>> No.16809164
File: 94 KB, 500x732, image0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Bad. Their philosophy was that cooking should be cheap and fast. My dad was the worst though, he has strange tastebuds. He doesn't like fish, chicken, garlic, cumin, butter, and a whole lot of other things. He would always cook with a lot of margarine and always overcook everything because he was deadly afraid of seeing a hint of red in the meat.

>> No.16809166
File: 91 KB, 298x600, 7CED28DC-47F4-42CA-A35B-E645625A568D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>16807856
Vegeta, a lot of vegeta.

>> No.16809169

>>16807856
My mother was very ordinary but she made some things very well. On the whole she was extremely lazy though.
My dad never cooked until their divorce but at which point he got really adventurous and he's actually a decent cook.

>> No.16809568

>>16807856
>dad
fantastic. french kitchen, and on occasion italian
>mom
horrible. Anglo/Danish kitchen. really likes jamie oliver.

>> No.16809613

>>16807856
My mum is a really good cook for about 8 dishes, but whenever she cooks outside of those 8 dishes she isn't that great. My dads cooking is very inconsistent with 2/3 the elements usually coming from pre-packaged frozen food elements. Sometimes the food was so bad that I just put it in the bin and ate cereal instead, but most of the time it was just frozen stuff cooked in the oven.

>> No.16809719

>>16807858
Yup. There were a few dishes that I'm still impressed by but most were fairly simple. My favorite was my mom's homemade pasties. My dad made a good pork and apple stew as well.

>> No.16809770
File: 264 KB, 618x439, 1585622661339.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>mom
hit or miss, can make some great chicken and roast but often burnt burgers and cooked chewy very very well done steaks, overcooked bacon etc.
>dad
rarely cooked, taught me how to make pancakes and pasta once and that's it.

>> No.16809807

My dad had sole custody. He worked long hours and was an alcoholic so as you can imagine we weren't eating fine meals.

Weeknight favorites were top ramen, grilled cheese with tomato soup, and hot dogs when they weren't burnt. We didn't eat a lot of vegetables either

>> No.16809890

>>16809069
>immigrants inflation and housing prices caused children to come out bad, not the actual parenting they received for 18 years
Complete retard

>> No.16810047

>>16809890
When you have to work 60 hour weeks to afford food and roof over your head it kind of gets in the way of parenting

>> No.16810486

>>16808985
He loveas you anon. Never leave him in the dark. One day you will understand.

>> No.16810539
File: 894 KB, 828x1138, 659B0931-C2B1-4EBE-AEFC-8DD0130E2B81.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Rate my dads dinner snack

>> No.16810550

It was mostly frozen food shit

>> No.16810556

>>16807856
my mother never cooked. she says she did but that we "didn't like it" so she stopped. my father had to cook for himself once he stopped traveling for work/eating out so he would make me a serving of whatever he made himself, usually a well-done hamburger on stale bun and a side of potato chips. this was until i got to middle school when he stopped doing that. i didnt eat basically from then until i graduated high school. that was two years ago, still living at home and i cook for myself now. very basic, same thing everyday and night. i hate cooking.

>> No.16810558

>>16810539
Tell him to clean his freezer, those ice cubes are grey

>> No.16810581

>>16810558
Where do you see the ice cubes

>> No.16810651

>>16807856
Mom only could cook one thing, "soup". It was ground beef and zucchini with bouillon cubes and extremely salty. Only other dinner was microwave Stouffers. Around 4-5 days a week we would eat at McDonald's or Burger King, nuggies and fries.
Parents got divorced. Lived with dad. He didn't feel like cooking or teaching his kids to cook so I ate Top Ramen, hotdogs, or Kraft mac n cheese. The weird thing is he's actually a very good cook on holidays but he can't stay off the computer long enough to grocery shop or make dinner.

>> No.16810665

Mostly frozen food, flavorless, basic. Not saying it's a bad thing at my age I want to do the same.

>> No.16810994

Seeing all these depressing stories steels my resolve to be a better cook so my kids won’t have to grow up in such an abysmal household

>> No.16812126

>>16810486
>He loveas you anon. Never leave him in the dark. One day you will understand.
I understood it pretty well from the age of like, 10, and I never complained about it afterwards and thanked him for it. You only get that kind of unrequited love once in your life, if at all.

He's long gone, but I have no regrets and it seems neither did he.

>> No.16812178

My dad only knew how to pan fry/barbecue steak and chicken decently and made a good coleslaw. Mom can be a terrible, low effort cook

>> No.16812186

How many of you with poor parental cooking stories had it come from them caring more about their work than wanting to put in the effort cooking?

>> No.16812207

>mom is a terrible cook
>never eats my food or encourages me when i'm taking cooking classes at school
>in town for a funeral at my aunts she once baked some unseasoned white fish with unseasoned onion slices on top until they were dry as fuck
>no one ate it or acknowledged it
>they finally understand why i was 6'2 and 135lbs
It was so embarrassing but at the same time, what the fuck were you thinking?

>> No.16812243

>>16807856
My mother is from Greece so the cooking was absolutely fantastic. What ruined the experience was her neuroticism about it, she’d ask 10 times if we enjoyed the meal, start complaining and beating herself up over everything that didn’t turn out perfect, say she is such a bad cook etc. Kinda ruined the whole experience

>> No.16812246

>>16812126
based dad

>> No.16812289

>>16812243
My dad will make something okay, which is fine, but then goes on and on about how great it is.

>> No.16812299

>>16807856
My mom is a fucking god-tier cook, and missing her food after I went to university was what got me into cooking. Like, every dinner was a different elaborate recipe, usually French or Italian three nights a week and some exotic Asian/Indian dish the other two nights. I absolutely love visiting around the holidays.

My dad is good at grilling, but that's it. He cooks up delicious hamburgers and marinated chicken, but he does not cook on the stove.

>> No.16812310

>>16812289
We should introduce them to each other

>> No.16812718

>mother out of town for a month who did the cooking
>visited father on monday, he made a lasagna
>borderline inedible
>visit father again today, he made chicken enchiladas
>again, borderline inedible with how bland they are because he uses chicken breasts in a slow cooker with canned enchilada sauce and puts no seasonings it in. basically just shredded chicken breast, bland sauce, bland black beans, and some shitty canned tomatoes
and of course he refuses my advice and help to him. its sad.

>> No.16813721

>>16807856
fucking awful, I love my mum, but apart from pastries she can't cook at all

>> No.16813737

>>16810558
it's herring.

>> No.16813745

Extremely bad. Bad midwest cooking. Rubbery eggs, gray meat, boiled spinach. They were also really bad at nutrition, in the midst of that "fat makes you fat" push. I think one of the reasons I strive to get better at cooking is so that even when I'm old and gray I won't settle for garbage like what I used to eat as a kid.

>> No.16815344

>>16807856
i had very bad fevers and nightmares as a kid and i'd often get cramps acid reflux or vomit at night a lot i also had serious weight gain in middle school my mom will cook the same meals over and over again looking back on sharing a meal with them it was horrible i felt so out of place terrible food and trampled emotions no sense of warmth or closeness

>> No.16815352

>>16807858
hamburger helper GODS

>> No.16815354

>>16807856
We commonly ate meat loaf, grilled chicken, grilled burgers, sloppy joes, fish sticks and mac and cheese, beef stroganoff, spaghetti, and salmon and steak.

>> No.16815355

My mom is an amazing cook, she can make damn near anything and make it well.

My dad's diet was basically that of a college freshman (frozen foods and eating out) until he was 65 and got some gotrut disease. Now he makes really bad food, badly. He likes to say that burning things gives them more flavor and now he does it deliberately.

>> No.16815365
File: 174 KB, 820x596, cri.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>16807856
not really good kek
always has that "homecook" feels you know
but i loved it
i love my mom
i really love my mom
god i fucking hate cancer

>> No.16815367

>>16807856
>What is/was your parents' cooking like?
Reasonable, but limited.

>> No.16815373

>>16815344
*BIG INTERNET HUG*
No sarcasm, no trolling, no bullshit.

>> No.16815380

used to be bland oily baked chicken and potatoes every night, then they went keto and now its just bland meatballs and pita :/

>> No.16815383
File: 611 KB, 625x469, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>16807856
Boxed mashed potatoes and really shitty, dry pork and dry chicken cuts, seasoned badly, with some frozen vegetables. Every other day for years. Unless mother didn't want to cook, in which case we would eat mcdonalds like the trash we were. Picrel vibe.

>>16809164
Cheap and fast is just the boomer way.

>> No.16815384

>>16815380
>keto
>pita

Anon...

>> No.16815547

>>16815384
i know. they refuse to accept their stupidity.

>> No.16816539

>>16815383
>>16807971
is it really "boomer-tier" to make things as quickly and easily as possible? i always thought it was just my parents doing it because they cared more about their careers than familial stuff.

>> No.16817161

>>16810539
Based, I am literally the only person in my family besides my 93 year old polack grandma who eats pickled fish (usually herring) so I appreciate this

>> No.16817181

i found out my mother's "recipe" for chicken enchiladas are so bland and tasteless because she literally uses no seasoning

>bland chicken breasts cooked in slow cooker
>canned tomatoes
>canned enchilada sauce
>canned mild green chiles
>black beans

>no garlic or onion
>no mention of cumin, paprika, coriander, literally not even salt and pepper

jesus christ almighty. no wonder it was always a complete chore to choke any of it down.

>> No.16817206

>>16817161
For real? It's a staple at any Minnesota family get together I've ever been to, not including my own

>> No.16817287

Overall, pretty bad. I mean we were poor so it wasn't like my parents could afford too much. But I learned pretty early kn as a latchkey kid that you can make decent meals with cheap ingredients. You just needed to put a little bit of effort into your cooking and use spices.

Anyway, we are a lot of frozen dinners and Hamburger Helper. One of my mom's staple dishes was microwaved salisbury, boxes mashed potatoes, and whatever canned vegetables were on sale. Or she'd make "beef stew" which was ground beef with canned potatoes, canned corn, canned carrots, canned peas, and canned green beans. She didn't use stock and used the water from the cans instead. She'd make a huge pot on Sundays and we'd eat off of it until Tuesday.

>> No.16817296
File: 25 KB, 548x491, 31kx55b4dhb31.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>16807856
my dad used to make such good food. Minestrone, beef stew, shepherds pie, lasagna, steak and potatoes, grilled cheese, anything. I wish I got some of his recipes before he passed. I miss him so much bros. Hug your parents if you are close with them, please.

>> No.16817301
File: 496 KB, 692x1148, thermalpaste.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

i had a nanny
no, she didn't like me

>> No.16817306

>>16807856
fucking terrible the most terrible quality meat with nothing done to it but being heated up

>> No.16817323

>>16808056
>weird
>boiled peanuts

take that back faggot

>> No.16817341

I just can't even comprehend how my mother had been the main cook of the family for over 30 years and can't cook. Not asking for some cookbook 100 recipes deep where I would get a different meal every night. I know that most people have 10-20 recipes max that they rotate through. She has hundreds of fucking cookbooks yet had a small rotation of incredibly boring and bland dishes.

I just don't get how someone can be cooking for 30 years and not understand seasoning or even extremely basic kitchen skills. Is it because she is a white boomer?

>> No.16817356

>>16817323
I didn't grow up in the south so everyone always called it weird. I love them though. I wish I lived where I could buy them from vendors.

>> No.16818489

>>16807856
My dad cooks very well but sometimes he puts too much salt or oil in the pasta and it's probably because of some meme chef who said that "You can never cook with too much olive oil".
Mom is a vegetarian so sometimes when I ask "What's in it", she outright refuses to tell me.

>> No.16819171

My mom's cooking is incredible and healthy. To this day I rarely find food better than hers no matter where I go. It's crazy too because she's a nurse working long days but always cooked dinner on her days off. Dinners are going to suck once I move out

>> No.16819177

>>16817341
>She has hundreds of fucking cookbooks
Its for decorations, no body wants to live in a minimalist house

>> No.16819191

>>16807856
My mom is a fantastic baker but can't do savory dishes very well except for fried chicken. My dad can't cook.

>> No.16819198

>>16807856
Nightmarish. They are pig ignorant boomers.

>> No.16819235

>>16807856
Feudal flip dishes, shrimp, fish, sour soups, lots of marinated pork and beef, sweet sausage. You take it for granted until you're away from home.

>> No.16819266

hamburger helper, ricearoni (tasty but god awful for you)
way too many midwest mayo using dishes
way too many casseroles

like my mother can make some tasty stuff but it was usually bad for you, which is why i was kind of overweight as a kid until i started cooking for myself.

>> No.16821089

This thread is depressing :(

>> No.16821162

>>16807856
Incredibly bland, and usually overcooked or burnt. Always have the heat too high, which sometimes ruined foods like meat in particular cause the inside'd be fookin' RAW while the outside was charcoal.

>> No.16821289

my mom did 100% of the cooking before my parents divorced, I'd say she was a better cook than the majority of parents but after growing up and cooking for myself there are a lot of foods that I previously thought I didn't like, only to find out I just didn't like the way my mom made it (e.g bland chicken)
after my parents divorced my dad started cooking for us the weeks we were at his house, he made the same menu each week (e.g breakfast for dinner monday, pot roast on tuesday, spaghetti on wednesday) but it was decent considering he just suddenly learned how to cook

>> No.16821967

>>16821289
For most of my childhood my father constantly threatened me and my mother with divorce, moving out, etc. Even lived in the guest bedroom for a year or two. Despite him always treating my mother like shit she never wanted him to leave. He never did and they're still together like 15-20 years after a childhood of near divorce.

It's funny for me to think about if they had gotten divorced because my father is incapable of cooking a single fucking thing and thinking about how he would have lived on his own. And he likely wouldn't have ever met another woman because of what a narcissistic asshole he is who has never had a friends besides my mother in my entire life. Then again he did well financially so maybe he would have for that reason alone.

>> No.16821979

>>16807856
my mom is so good at cooking bros, im so sad i had to leave home. i love my mom and im scared that shes getting older

>> No.16821996

>>16807856
Godly soups, passable everything else.

>> No.16822005

Bretty good, my sister and I were expected to chip in
Really only thing I realized later was that my parents would overcook pretty much all meat, being overly scared of foodborne illness

>> No.16822015

>>16807856
lots of pasta, both of my parents made Italian food frequently even though our family isn't Italian at all.

>> No.16823575

>>16807856
>mom do you need h-
>GET OUT OF THE FUCKING KITCHEN

>> No.16823604

>>16807856
>Mother: fantastic desserts, horrendous cooking everything else
>Father: pretty decent cook, just kind of makes everything taste rhe exact same

>> No.16823636

>>16807856
My mother is a great cook, but during my childhood she always made the same boiled shit every day because that was what my father demanded, made me hate her food. But as we grew older, she expanded her meals to cater for us as well and I still get lots of delicious meals from her. My favorites are her Italian and curries, she mixes the spices and herbs just right.

Less I say about my father, theb etter. I would not touch his food with a barge pole.

>> No.16823653

>>16807993
Same here but I'm learning to cook so my family won't have to experience the same things.