[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 879 KB, 1694x1150, image_2021-06-16_17-20-16.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16289061 No.16289061 [Reply] [Original]

Red areas are over 50% chain restaurants ie places with zero food culture.

Is the south really that bad?

>> No.16289067

You can't have a culture without the hustle and bustle of the big city.

>> No.16289069

Yes, most small towns MIGHT have one or two locally owned places, and everything else will be chains.

And the one or two locally owned places are almost always just bars that happen to also serve food.

>> No.16289074 [DELETED] 
File: 267 KB, 619x518, 7F1A6938-8775-4793-B7D5-0FA811C4823A.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16289061
Most mom and pop restaurants and hole in the wall city places are actually overpriced dogshit.

>> No.16289091

>>16289061
Drop a nuke in every red county. Glass the Midwest and south.

>> No.16289093
File: 41 KB, 481x300, 1256950580871.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16289074
>implying anyone gives a shit about your opinion

>> No.16289123

>>16289061
When did LA's city center become Ventura?

>> No.16289165

Fun fact: For centuries Midwestern flyovers didn’t even realize they were flyovers. Due to inbreeding as well as separation from civilization, the average Midwestern IQ was unable to surpass 65. Because of this, the local populace assumed the planes roaring by overhead were actually large birds and whenever one would whiz by, the herds of mobile scooters would gather around the local McDonalds or Kroger to eek and ook at the sighting. It wasn’t until being introduced to technology in 2015 that they realized they were borderline primates that populate a region of US only used as a highway to get to more important places.

>> No.16289189

>>16289074
Super cool suburbs where you never have to worry about hearing an opposing opinion?

>> No.16289198

>>16289165
probably wasn't worth your effort

>> No.16289203

>>16289165
I heard when they try to watch aeroplanes flying overhead they fall backwards

>> No.16289212
File: 128 KB, 1200x878, WB_1200x1200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16289189
I see pic related every fucking day

>> No.16289219

>>16289212
this is upsetting to you?

>> No.16289230

>>16289219
yes, water kills millions each years and should be banned

>> No.16289233

>>16289198
Butthurt

>> No.16289236

>>16289061
I'm gay, btw. Not sure if that matters.

>> No.16289257

>>16289230
we already have regulations to limit drowning that include banning swimming in numerous situations and places

>> No.16289294

>>16289257
>we already have regulations
not enough #notonemore

>> No.16289453

>>16289067
exposed brick intensifies

>> No.16289538

>>16289061
feels good to live in a solid blue area. I haven't been out even before covid much but there was a time that I've experimented with new pizza and local burger places here. even started trying traditional/actual chinese and noodle places I didn't know we had since moving from the middle of nowhere 7 years ago. eat local if you can, always.

>> No.16289554

>>16289074

Why are you suburban cocksuckers so upset that you picked the worst choice of life? You're a fucking drain on resources, and soon the stupid buble you live in that is propped up by feds and debt is going to burst. You live in on the farm, or you live in the city/town.

>> No.16289618 [DELETED] 

>>16289189
I wish hahahah. I can’t wait till the CCP takes over the US mainland. The cities are overpopulated full of lazy vermin and need to be cleansed.

>>16289554
>propped up by feds and debt is going to burst

LOL someone who dosent understand monetary policy at all.

It’s ironic because you probably hate conservatives, but you use conservative economic talking points.

>> No.16289643

>>16289061
That's a depressing amount of chain places, anon.
I could walk to 11 different non-chain restaurants within 5 minutes of closing my front door, and one chain (dunkin donuts, but i'd have to pass a better breakfast place to get there)
>t. new hampshire

>> No.16289656

>>16289061
It's even worse than you think desu

>> No.16289678 [DELETED] 

>>16289643
New England outside of the big cities is one of the best places to live in America.

Don’t let NYC faggots tell you different. I’d take the environment, athmosphere, and people of New England over the insectoid people and pollution of NYC any day, fooderino be damned.

>> No.16289732

>>16289074
This is completely false. Have you ever been to the USA?

>> No.16289794

>>16289061
>two locations is a chain

>> No.16289815

>>16289069
>Yes, most small towns MIGHT have one or two locally owned places, and everything else will be chains.

One of the stupidest things you could do is to open a franchised fast food place in a small town unless the small town is on a major highway with lots of traffic and then only if your fast food place is on that major highway.

Two weeks after you opened, everyone in the area would have a good idea whether or not you know what you are doing. They aren't going there for the franchise name, but because of the food that you produce. A franchise only sets like minimal quality.

By buying a franchise, you are:
1) spending a lot of money to build the restaurant up to the specifications of the franchise. It can be far more cost effective to buy or lease a storefront than to build a new store to franchise specs.
2) you are likely stuck buying second or third rate ingredients from the franchise that is often far from fresh instead of buying fresh ingredients locally.
3) you are giving the franchise a whole lot of your profits. The franchise makes the money, not you.
4) you have to honor the sales set by the franchise even though they are nearly always geared to large cities and aren't likely to help your restaurant as well.
5) some franchises reportedly like to find reasons to force you to shut down your restaurant so that they can sell the franchise to someone else.

>> No.16289881

>>16289815

to continue ...

If you are in a small town, forget the nonsense of buying a franchise unless you like to lose money.

Open a restaurant geared toward the population of the small town and the surrounding communities. These are your customers that you will need to survive. If they like chili and beans, then put chili and beans on the menu -- you aren't limited by what some idiots at a franchise would say that you can sell. Whatever you do, you are there to satisfy the customers, not some franchise headquarters.

In my small town, there are no franchised restaurants. Everything is locally owned and nearly everyone around knows what to expect from our local restaurants.

In the next town over, there are a couple of chain restaurants. They are both on a main highway, but that main highway doesn't really get all that much through traffic. Being part of a chain doesn't help those two restaurants one tiny bit. In addition to two chain restaurants, there are seven locally owned restaurants that aren't part of any chain and every one of those seven restaurants serve better food than the two chain restaurants.

In another nearby mid-sized town that is on a major highway with lots of through traffic there are a few chain restaurants on the highway and they seem to keep fairly busy in spite of serving really crap food.

There are another five chain fast food restaurants on another highway going out of town, but that highway doesn't really get much traffic. The locals know which of these are better and those do okay and the rest are pretty much always empty.

>> No.16289939

>>16289074
This isn't even true for rural areas like the shithole I live in. The only decent places to go out to eat at are the mom and pop spots.

>> No.16289975

>>16289815
>t. zoomer whose business acumen comes from himself because mom said I’m special

>> No.16290090

>>16289061
>Is the south really that bad?

Yes. Most States in the South are basically third world countries.

>> No.16290094

>>16289061
What a retarded infographic. I bet this misrepresents the shit out of everywhere.

>> No.16290152
File: 107 KB, 960x884, boycott-nfl-truck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16289061
When I was a kid we went on a road trip through parts of the south and it was a source of endless mirth. I have no desire ever to go back and I think this country would be better off exterminating everyone who lives there using nuclear weapons and inviting millions of mexicans and other foreigners to repopulate it

>> No.16290391

>>16289061
Los Angeles' dot is in Ventura County

>> No.16290413

>>16290391
like northwest ventura county even, in ventura or even La Conchita

>> No.16290494

>>16289074
Good job, you really baited the pencil-wristed city slickers with this one.

>> No.16290499 [DELETED] 

>>16290152
>unironically being a kneeler

Opinion discarded, now get on your knees bitch

>> No.16290507

>>16289257
we go to extreme lengths to protect niggers from nature

>> No.16290518

>>16290152
I knew a guy like this before he got let go, he used to work the cafeteria at a large corporation i worked for. It was the friday prior to the super bowl and our local team was in it so to try to be friendly i asked if he was going to watch, while he's ringing me out. dude went on a 10 minute rant about kneeling while the line is building up behind me.

>> No.16290579
File: 218 KB, 1024x1385, 1617492704488.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16289219
>does nothing for black people except virtue signal
>demands destruction of citizen rights and wages
>makes excuses or ignores rape and #meetoo Weinstein molesters
>demands migrants replace male vocational work then insists women control most healthcare and marketing jobs
>claims marketing is science and uses dogma in place of method, and observation
>has a fucking lawn
>responsible for genocide in Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Afghanistan, etc.
>coexist
Yeah bothers the fuck out of me I hate these hypocrites. They've torn down American liberalism and replaced it with corporate neoliberal bullshit. Fuck you too for enabling this horseshit.

>> No.16291297

>>16289975

Feel free to open a franchise fast food place in a small town and come back and tell us all how much money you are making.

The margins are so tight that what you end up paying in franchise fees might easily make you lose money each and every year.

Even if you have plenty of experience in running restaurants, you probably wouldn't be making enough money to make it worthwhile.

We used to have one family in the restaurant that really knew how to handle the restaurant business. A father and his two sons would each own a restaurant in a different town. Everyone around knew that when they owned a restaurant in the town, they would get food there. Every restaurant they owned was always for sale.

Sooner or later someone would be driving through and stop and eat. They'd see the number of diners and taste how good the food was and see that it was for sale and so they'd start imaging themselves as owner of the restaurant. They didn't have any restaurant experience at all -- many people think that since they like to eat at restaurants, they could run one. And, sure enough, someone would end up buying the restaurant.

As part of the sales agreement, the owner of the restaurant would include the menu and recipes and teach them how to cook everything. They would also agree not to open up a restaurant in the same town in competition with the buyer.

Sure enough, the new owner wouldn't keep up the standards of the previous owner and the food would suffer. Also, the previous owner would keep the waitresses busy when there were no customers cleaning the restaurant, but the new owner would try to save money by sending them home when there were no customrs. The restaurant would get dirtier and dirtier.

In the meantime the seller would go to another town where a family member had sold their restaurant in a similar manner and open up a new restaurant in competition with him. The non-competition agreements only applied to the seller, not to others in the family.

>> No.16291299

>>16289219
its nothing new... shits been going on way longer than all of us... just different names liberal nwo blah blah...etc..cant beat em join em or be a hermit...true leadership has been lost eons ago.

>> No.16291305

>>16291297

continued ...

So the locals, knowing the family who owned the restaurants, would flock to their new restaurant. Whatever business the buyer of the previous restaurant had would evaporate and the result was inevitable.

Sure enough, within a couple of months or so, the buyer of the restaurant would sell his and a member of the family would buy it. They already knew what the equipment and building and everything was worth and would keep it ready for when someone else was stupid enough to buy their new restaurant in town.

That family knew how to run restaurants real well, but they made their real money selling restaurants, not running them.

>> No.16291326

>>16291297
I've lived in and around small southern towns my whole life
fast food chains are the most successful businesses in these towns, along with walmart and dollar general

the south has been raped economically for 200 years
urbanites are either ignorant or cruel to mock a corpse

>> No.16291335
File: 40 KB, 750x660, 1622248646792.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16289554
>he thinks the housing bubble is going to burst
anon, I...

>> No.16291340

My niece has been wanting to run a restaurant for years. She has never worked in a restaurant and has no management experience in any business, but she is convinced that she could make the restaurant next door to my office very profitable in spite of the fact that every one of the last few owners end up closing it from lack of business as their quality suffers. The current owner is actually doing better than the previous and so I hope that they can make a go of it.

I told her that before I would loan her the money to buy the restaurant, I would require her to work in a restaurant for five to ten years as a waitress, cook, AND in management. The only possibility of success she would have would be to know the restaurant business inside and out. Of course, like many people, she thinks that she doesn't need to have any experience to run a successful restaurant.

She also would not be prepared to work her ass off at running a restaurant. She loves to travel. Some friends of ours are musicians who were on the road most of the time prior to the pandemic and she would frequently travel to various states for their performances. Sure, she would get in free, but I never did figure out how she paid for all her airline travel. There is no way that she would have stayed in town to manage her restaurant if I was stupid enough to loan her the money to buy it.

One thing that always confuses me about the restaurant next to my office is that they buyers always buy the name and the menu as well. That restaurant has the same name today as it had when it first opened as a restaurant about 50 years ago. Nobody eats or doesn't eat there because of the name, they eat there because they like the food. Also, even though they pay extra to buy the menu, nobody keeps the menu from before.

Want to lose your money? Open a restaurant in a small town without having any restaurant experience. Or you can go to Las Vegas and where you will get better odds.

>> No.16291348

>>16291335
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IsMeKl-Sv0

>> No.16291350

>>16291326

I cannot think of a single small town in my region (and I've been to nearly every small town in the region) which has much in the way of fast food chain restaurants.

Probably the closest is a medium size town with a very major highway going through town, but if you pay attention, the fast food chains in that town don't get all that much business. If you show up at lunch time when they are "busiest", you'll probably be second in line if not at the head of the line when you walk in. The restaurants in that town that get the most business are not fast food chain restaurants at all.

>> No.16291376

>>16291348
anon none of that is profound or new info to me. housing prices are not dropping in our lifetime. that isn't hyperbole, there will be boomer heads in floating jars renting out 99% of the countrys property to the serfs in a few decades

>> No.16291379

One of the best indications of how many customers you will have is to sit outside several days in a row doing a traffic count to see how many cars pass by during prime dining hours and assume that only a tiny percentage will stop to eat.

A chain restaurant in a small town on a major highway may be worth the money. There's more traffic and most will not know much about the local stops since they are just passing through, so about all they have to decide by is the franchise name.

That's why franchises may be worthwhile in some cases -- people deciding where to go based on the name because that is all the information they have to go by.

If the small town is not on a major highway, then there is absolutely no need to open a franchised fast food place at all. Just about every customer you have will have plenty of information to use in their decision besides the name of the place.

>> No.16291472
File: 199 KB, 1024x705, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16290499
you know they borrowed the kneel from the muhreens right

it's a position of mourning, not submission

>> No.16292052

>>16289212
I see it every single day too. Also every day from 5-6 a bunch of people stand on the main road I take to my neighborhood with B.L.M signs. So as I wait to make a left turn all the cars passing me are honking right in my ear to show solidarity.
They're also all white, none of them know any black people to ask to come stand with them and they live in a nearly all white neighborhood because subconsciously they know it'd be massively unsafe and unpleasant to live near blacks.
Still out there every day. Hypocritically virtue signalling.

>> No.16292229

>>16289061

Chains are great. I like my restaurants doing well all over as Nate Bertgze says

>> No.16293939

>>16290518
always good to befriend freaks like that in case they go postal

>> No.16293946
File: 6 KB, 210x240, soyjack.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16289061
>food culture

>> No.16294025

I have my doubts about the accuracy of this map.

As I grew up in the Atlanta area. I can attest to their being lots of independent restaurants.

>> No.16294183

>>16291340

location is extremely important unless you've got the money or fame to open a bougie place in a random warehouse people will travel to for the hype. my parents are restaurateurs and all their failed restaurants were due to lack of foot traffic/parking/visibility. their successful ones have always been in high pedestrian areas close to shops and visibility from the road. Having a place next to an office building can be a curse and a blessing. on one hand there is a built in lunch or early morning breakfast demographic and if you have a liquor license the after work happy hour can be a huge money maker. in that case though you have to plan your menu around the office workers so its going to be lots of high energy breakfasts with fruits and yogurt and oats and then salads, wraps, and sandwhiches for their lunch. the con of this though is your weekends are going to be extremely slow and restaurants in or near office complexes suffer from low visibility, foot traffic, and a lot of times parking issues. so basically if the menu isnt geared towards the office workers, or lets say the office businesses have to close (like what happened with COVID, wiped out 2 of my parents restaurants that were in office complexes) then you're basically fucked.

the ideal restaurant is going to be in a bar district, main street, pier or tourist area, or shopping district. UNLESS you have the money to make the place a spectacle then you can get some press easily and people will go out of their way to go there.

>> No.16294236
File: 82 KB, 960x720, flyover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>wow let's move to NY and California!!
Said no-one ever besides immigrants that don't know how to speak English

>> No.16294248

>>16294236
Just so you know the migration data is even more extreme in 2020-2021

>> No.16294308
File: 330 KB, 3672x2536, Black people.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16289061

Not surprising.

>> No.16294779

>>16294183

Exactly.

A couple of years ago, someone on here was talking about leasing space for a restaurant two blocks from a college campus. That is, there was the street by the campus and they were looking at space on the next street because the space was so much cheaper. According to them, there was very little traffic down that street.

So I pointed out that the traffic was everything. If they wanted students coming in day after day keeping them busy, they needed to be where the students were, not hidden away a block away from them.

Where I went to college, the bars and restaurants and other stores across the street from the campus did a booming business. Someone opened up a hamburger joint that everyone raved about (I never ate there) on the next block over and it lasted less than a year because they just couldn't keep busy.

It's that old maxim: Out of sight -- Out of mind.

What you say about parking hits home, too. In the next town over from me is a little hamburger joint that makes the best hamburgers in the county. It's in a building that obviously used to be a private home. They have poor parking and it is difficult to even figure out where the front door is. The best parking is on the grass of what was once the back yard.

Even though I know it is there, I rarely stop because I just don't think about it when driving by. I can't imagine anyone driving through figure out where it is.

The first time I ever went there, knowing that it was there, I had to drive around the block a couple of times trying to figure out where the front door was and where to park. I ended up parking on the grass of the back yard and walked around to find the front door.

Oddly enough, the only sign identifying the place as a restaurant was in the back, not the front.

They make good hamburgers at a decent price (the french fries are $5 an order so I haven't tried them), but the place will never see more than moderate success without some big changes.

>> No.16294974

i find flyovers endearing. i like to imagine their eyes blink at slightly different times.

>> No.16295078

In the entire history of my town, we've only ever had one fast food chain restaurant. It's main advantage was convenience.

It was eventually closed because it was the least profitable restaurant of the corporation that owned it.

>> No.16295096

>>16289165
Thats really cool to hear. I didn't know that.

>> No.16295150
File: 297 KB, 580x580, stock_tanks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16289165

When you take city people and put them in my country, they stick out like a sore thumb.

I remember when my cousins moved up here. One of their early tricks was to have a headon collision in a field that covered half a section (320 acres). Two vehicles in a half section and they drove around like maniacs until they ran into each other. All the while, we were on horseback rounding up cattle in the pasture next to it.

A couple weeks after rounding up the cattle, the stock tanks (these were maybe a bit larger than the largest in the picture) had dried out and so we went out to get them. I was driving (we learned our lesson on that real quick) pulling a trailer to put the tanks on.

So we got out and they walked up to the nearest edge and started to reach down to pick it up. I stopped them, walked around to the other side, grasped the tank at the top, and pulled it off of where it had been sitting. There were three rattlesnakes within inches of where they had been going to stick their hands.

I long ago came to the conclusion that it is easier for a country kid to adapt to the city than for a city kid to adapt to the country.

>> No.16295172

>>16289061
women still cook here

>> No.16295214

>>16289061
No wonder flyovers are always talking about chains. Why do they not support their own community?

>> No.16295692

>>16289061
And those places have good versions of the only restaurants that matter, grills.

>> No.16295796

I lived in a shitty flyover town for a couple years. there were 7 chain restaurants: a dairy queen that was closed during the winter, an a&w, a kfc, a pizza hut, a mcdonalds like a mile north of town, and for some reason 2 subways literally on opposite sides of the same parking lot. there was also 4 bars with varying degrees of food, 2 chinese places run by non-chinese people, and 3 greasy spoon type places. they were all terrible so I ate at home 90% of the time.

>> No.16295820

>>16295796
Why doesn't anyone have a family or town diner?

>> No.16295836

>>16295214
we do?
There's a diner i frequent where I chat with strangers.
It's a vibe that autistic city-slickers could never understand

>> No.16295868

>>16295820
I counted those as "greasy spoon type places." the one I went to the most was still awful. the hash browns tasted like oil and the fried chicken I ordered one time was fully cooked but frozen in the middle somehow.

>> No.16296021

>>16289061
Does this map include local chains?

>> No.16296028

>>16289219
Yes

>> No.16296033

>>16289165
Krogers isn't a Midwestern chain retard.
The vast majority of people in the Midwest have only been there for the last 4 generations. There are more inbreds in New England, the South, and Appallachia.

>> No.16296054

>>16296033
[citation needed]

>> No.16296157

>>16296033
Proofs?

>> No.16296165
File: 300 KB, 744x589, image_2021-06-18_000638.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16296054
The entire upper midwest has zero Krogers.
The first time I've ever heard of Krogers was in a Sam Hyde video.
Inbreeding usually happens in isolated areas where people have lived for at least a few hundred years. The Midwest is not isolated, most people are second, third, fourth, and fifth generation immigrants from Europe, and there are a tonne of people in the midwest that moved here from all over the US.
Half the midwest is also covered in Indian reservations so I'm not sure why everyone thinks the Midwest is just a carbon copy of Alabama.

>> No.16296187

>>16295836
>There's a diner i frequent where I chat with strangers.
>It's a vibe that autistic city-slickers could never understand

Some restaurants around here have community tables. Just sit down.

The closest Dairy Queen to me did that up until they closed for the pandemic. Once they reopened, no more community table.

The restaurant next to my office (not a chain) still has that. It's not like they run out of tables -- the only times I think that every table is taken is the opening day of hunting season.

>> No.16296196

>>16289881
This is fake advice.

If you are in a small town that isn't pretending to be a hipster place in California literally the smartest move you can do is open a chain that is proven to be a money maker all across the country. You have to be slightly smart about the chain and not choose anything too expensive for the cost but people will be extremely happy to not have to travel 2
+ hours to a real city to get something they normally can't get.

>> No.16296394

>>16296196

You would lose your shirt.

Do you really think that people in a small town are going to decide to go to your restaurant because of its name? They are going to know whether or not it is worthwhile to go there. You buy into a chain for the name so that people who don't know your restaurant will decide to stop at it because of the brand. Chains may be worthwhile for big cities and highways frequented by long distance travelers, but they are a suckers bet for small towns away from the main interstates.

>> No.16296500

>>16289061
we have food culture, but restaurant chains are being sold onto farm land where kids are taking over family land for quick getouts and we're embezzling money though road construction and upkeep every single day.
our commissioners and officials are stealing money from anyone and everyone they can, inviting countless people into the town with bragging rights about safety and affordability. used to be a shooting happened, the swat team was there, now we have two shootings a week and at least 3 wrecks a day.
it used to be a town with more small businesses and family owned restaurants per capita than almost any place in the country, but democrats literally destroyed that for the sake of their own pockets.

they cranked up the speed limits all over town in the last 6 years, are considering a 6 lane street, and new nightclubs are opening up all over town bringing in people from surrounding counties and cities to take full advantage of our low taxes and available land. it's a quick pump and dump given the latest stimulus checks. my hometown that iw as born and raised in is being destroyed from the inside out and the only fuckers who care are so rich that they aren't even within city limits to give a fuck.

>> No.16296505

>>16296394
nah put a culvers in a small iowan town you FUCKIN bud hear me? mmmm real wisconsin curds

>> No.16296516

>>16295150
Reddit spacing didn't read

>> No.16296520

>>16289061
I'm in an orange county in this map, but the main downtown is also such a county and there are more independent shops. A lot of the red areas in Kansas and Nebraska at least are extreme rural counties. Places with very few people.

But yeah some places have no food culture, and the opening of a chick-fil-a or freddy's is considered upscale nice food. Not even memeing

>> No.16296553
File: 6 KB, 345x146, pa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16296394
>They are going to know whether or not it is worthwhile to go there
because people in a small town are friends, family, and good acquaintances. I worked at our convention center when I was 19.
I served one brunch to the chamber of commerce meeting they hold and can remember perhaps, no more than 50-60 people in the entire room.
I look on my city's chamber of commerce page now and it's more than 10 pages for business that begin with just the letter A.
>>16296505
You mean cheese curds? What makes em Wisconsian?
>>16296520
We had a 5 car pileup last week with the last day for our Chic-fil-a open until renovations were complete. Not 5 business down from that same chic-fil-a is a Freddies. Idk if this is part of some corporate intention to get a bunch of us so angry about their greedy bullshit to start revolting against our country, but under any other circumstances in a developing country and there'd already be bloodshed. Google and Microsoft not even recognizing compound words as dictionary words should be enough of a sign that some conglomerates are trying to fucking divide us and at the least manipulate us into their own thinkers.

>> No.16296568

>>16289061
>50% means 100%
Are thirdies really this retarded?

>> No.16296651

>>16296553
it's fucked up for sure, I'm in a city and we actually have a great restaurant culture, but I've driven through some pretty sad small towns. There's still plenty of places stuck in the 90s where an Applebee's or a Chili's is the main spot

>> No.16296779

>>16296553
>I look on my city's chamber of commerce page now and it's more than 10 pages for business that begin with just the letter A. That's hardly a small town. It's at least a rather large town or a small city.

The previous owners of the restaurant next to my office were from a very well known and well thought of family in my neighborhood.

Guess what. In spite of all the family connections, they had no understanding of how to run a business. They lasted about a year before they had to shut it down and put it up for sale.

By the way, one of the best and most memorable brunches I've ever been to had only two tables occupied. I was at one table along with some colleagues. The next table over was a long term Senator who I admired and his family. It felt rather strange to have the entire room open and fully staffed for only two tables.

>> No.16296902

>>16289165
That makes sense that was the year I first heard about flyovers

>> No.16297102

>>16294236
It's mostly poor/working class people moving to the south, because it's better to be poor where it's at least cheap and warm. Chicago is actually gaining high income residents at the same time that the ghettos are emptying out

>> No.16297311

>>16297102
>the ghettos are emptying out
horse shit

>> No.16298273

I live in a mid sized city on the Gulf Coast and I honestly never eat at chain restaurants. There are so many locally owned restaurants that make great food. I don't need to.

>> No.16298361

>>16289203
>aeroplanes
23 skidoo to you too

>> No.16298967

Non chain restaurants are just overpriced hipstershit that sell the same crap chains do.

>> No.16299015

>>16290152
Your nose is showing.

>> No.16299023

minnesota bbq.jpg

>> No.16299117

>>16297102
t. My ass

>> No.16299373

>>16296500
what area?

>> No.16299388

>>16289061
southern food is god tier. its why everyone there is so fucking fat.

>> No.16299394

>>16299388
Why does /ck/ love chain restaurants so much

>> No.16299416

>>16289061
There is plenty of good food in the south. They're all lazy and fat though so you'll never see a southern gentleman turn down a big mac.

>> No.16299792

>>16292052
I'm black, if I saw that I would call them niggers. But I live in a based rural red county. None of that cuckery down here.

>> No.16299807

>>16289061
Are you sure that it's saying 50%, and not 0.50%, OP?

>> No.16300477

>>16297102
Yeah nah the ghettos will only empty when the gibs get cut off.

>> No.16301111
File: 31 KB, 460x417, 1612732620547.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16295836
It's piss easy to talk to strangers in a city, you sweaty hamhock. I've met people from all over the world, from all types of backgrounds just small-talking, from schizos to refugees to warehouse workers to cops to cruise ship performers to local politicians to tenured profs to execs to blue-blooded finance guys. All you have to do is lend an ear and people will come crawling to it, but the stories are much more varied and interesting when you live in a city.

>> No.16302342

One nice thing about small towns is that you generally don't have trouble getting a seat in a restaurant and probably won't have to dress up much to do it.

>> No.16302369
File: 107 KB, 800x540, lunch_coutner-cowboy_hat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Small towns also don't usually mind it when you wear your hat into the restaurant.

I nearly always wear a hat when I go somewhere -- a straw hat with a leather band with conchos in the summer and a nice 7x beaver hat with a cattleman's crease in the winter. I did wear a gambler style hat for years and am thinking of getting another.

If I have an empty chair to set the hat on, I put it on the chair, otherwise I wear it on my head while I eat. If I'm at the counter, I just wear it on my head.

>> No.16302373
File: 111 KB, 1200x815, lunch_counter_w_hats.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sometimes in cities, people don't like you wearing a hat while you eat, but it used to be more acceptable.

>> No.16303022

>>16295836
lived in NYC for like 6 years and if you go to virtually any bar or more "homely" family owned restaurant this can happen regularly if you aren't autistic. also lived in Boston & Philly and had virtually the same experience. people not being autistic and being nice isn't exclusive to either cities or rural areas

>> No.16303057

>>16303022
probably went into a bar wearing a MAGA hat and a thin blue line shirt and wondered why he got a cold reception with the elitist soy boy collegecucks