[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 7 KB, 225x225, monopolistic power.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16211360 No.16211360 [Reply] [Original]

None of these companies are even remotely ethical. If you are buying "local" to "support" your restaurents that will just get replaced by other local restaurants anyway and you're doing that by ordering delivery where no delivery service from the company already existed without some third party company, you're fucking doing it wrong.

You'd be better off buying from a major chain then these pieces of shit.
>Uber Eats and Postmates are owned by a company that only exists because rich people injected money into it
>That leaves DoorDash and Grubhub
>DoorDash is known for *even considering* fucking with tips, regardless of what its doing now.
>GrubHub likes to use contracts just like taxi companies Uber and Lyft which would be bleeding money if not for the fact that they were injected with money and now sticking their greasy little fingers into other markets. The CEO is retarded and doesn't know how to lead. They also like giving out fake numbers to the restaurant and charging the restaurant for the privilege.
>Every single one of them is engaged in using their control over the market to manipulate prices according to their own demands and most of the money you spend on them goes to the fees they charge restaurants, rather than the restaurants themselves.
>They make fake sites of the restaurant to control their online presence according to the contracts they were made to sign.

Don't try and tell me there is an excuse or that you've heard of anything exactly like this. This shit needs to die. Stop being a complacent fuckwad and get your shit to go you fat lazy toad.

>> No.16211368

>>16211360

do you mean a cartel?

>> No.16211375

With anything else, at least its distant. At least they obey some regulations.

These cunts don't listen to shit. This is the kind of shit I'd hear listening to people talk about night club racketeering. Yet normies don't give a fuck as long as they can get fat.

>> No.16211381

>that'll be 15% + 15% tip, xir!

>> No.16211403

not my problem

>> No.16211419

>monopoly
>there's four of them
>the barrier to entry is ridiculously low

>> No.16211431

>>16211360
The only reason these delivery services make money is because of COVID.

>> No.16211495

>>16211403
I guess I forgot to mention they do charge you more if you fuck up and go through one of the delivery services fake websites. Fucking happened to me.

>> No.16211508

>>16211419
>There's four them
They're acting as one, collaborating to manipulate the market. Its the same concept as a monopoly
>Four of them
2 are the same company. One is a shell. That's only 3 companies. Maybe less even I didn't look into it that deep
>bar to entry
You do it then. Try to get more clout than these fuckers who have been taking over the voices and power of the restaurants they subjegate.

>> No.16211562

>>16211431
I would agree, but big companies have shown that they love to fuck with us and create holes in the system so they don't have to get their own hands dirty. As long as morons like Uber or Lyft is doing it, Facebook, Google, etc etc can kep their hands clean until their little goblin has enough power they don't need to nurse it. Someone's going to do the same here, even if its not Silicon Valley. Hell, they kinda already are.
They just need to get into the right thing once they have the money, then its permanent. Ever notice the Lyft logo on some of these mop- excuse me, "e-bikes"? At least in my city, I know Nike is getting in on that shit. Covid gave these delivery fucks a boost, but it won't end there. They were already names we knew before covid started.

No one has the attention span to actually see which companies are less shit than another one. So the ones that win out at least initially are going to be dark triad personality fucks a lot of the time. But even then, these cunts are especially bad.

>> No.16211582

Goddammit I really should've been super fucking clear what I meant when I said monopoly. Should've used different wording and not called it a monopoly. Now I'm gonna get a deluge of posts that only read the OP saying hurr durr not a monopoly.

Whatever the fuck you wanna call it. Monopoly is a familiar concept.

>> No.16211954

>>16211360
I only dislike them because everyone around me talks about "doordashing" something, pay like 30 fucking dollars for a small meal, then tip more on top of that because muh america then complain about being broke. dumbass millennials talk about stuff like "stagnating wages" and mock the classic boomer response of "avocado toast" but have no problem ordering shit like this or otherwise being financially irresponsible, then blaming their brokeness on the system or republicans.

>> No.16213309

got some checkers today from ubereats, it was tasty. gross but tasty. those fries are too good. was going to eat groceries tomorrow but I think I'll get some panda express delivered just because of this thread. there are so many things wrong with the world, who gives a fuck about this? delivery services are too damn convenient, I would absolutely hate if they went away. the way to deal with this is to compete better, not to play on morals. the last fucking thing anybody needs is one more fake cocksucker yelling at them about fake ethics and morals.

>> No.16213346

>>16211360
Nah, they're here for a reason. Blame the restaurant owners that wouldn't wake the fuck up and join the 21st century by offering delivery ordered online

>> No.16213405

>>16211360
They're just fulfilling a demand. I do agree making faked websites that look official is fucked and do wonder how they actually make money.

>> No.16213437

>>16211360
>MUH ETHICAL
shut the fuck up lmao. these platforms will continue to grow and prosper into the future, and theres nothing you can do about it.

>> No.16213859

>>16213309
>delivery services are too damn convenient
That doesn't excuse the behavior and I'm not saying I want them to go away.
>the way to deal with this is to compete better, not to play on morals.
You clearly don't understand how people work. Ethics are just as important as getting what you want. Especially when this affects the price on YOUR end. Also, I'm not giving up my entire career to go work on making a delivery service. Are you? Good. Then go do that. I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't excuse being a complacent lazy asshole
>he last fucking thing anybody needs is one more fake cocksucker yelling at them about fake ethics and morals.
What are you even on about? Are you so hard up on poltard bullshit you think any appeal to ethics is just SJWs or "crying libtards"? Grow up and stop kneejerking reacting to legitimate concerns that could end up affecting all of us. How many things are you going to let go in the name of not being a "fake cocksucker yelling at them about fake ethics and morals"?
And how is it defensible to act against public interest? Against your own interest?

Your post is just a bunch of retarded lazy lies combined with an attempt to one up me by saying I'm "fake" whatever that even means.

Fuck's sake I hope you're a troll, because there are people who actually think this way and those people are fucking dumbasses.

>> No.16213861

>Order food
>3.00$ delivery fee
>7.50$ service charge
>Have to tip on top of that
>Items sometimes cost more when ordering online than in shop
>A 9 dollar order comes out to fucking 35+ if you're lucky and 45+ if you're not
>They also charge the businesses you order from for the privilege of having this service
Christ this shit is fucking awful. I got a deal that waved service and delivery fees, it still feels like it costs a lot more online even without the tip. Fucking robbery.

>> No.16213866

>>16211508
>>16213859
>>16213309
....I guess you do have a point in that I could've cooled it with this "voice" and "subjugation" talk.
I can see how that exaggeration and that choice of words makes me sound like some far-left BLM cunt.

>> No.16213891

OP is correct but fags wills just scream muh free market

>> No.16213906

>>16211360
Have you considered picking up your own food you fat lazy shit?

>> No.16213910
File: 246 KB, 1170x2532, 1622627888741.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.16213941

>>16213861
>Order food
>50% off coupon
>free delivery
>no tip culture
American delivery services sound nasty

>> No.16213975

>>16211360
We're going to have self-driving cars within the decade, and all of these services will stop paying fleshbags. Before that now that lockdowns are ended it'll be back to normal. I brought some bbq home yesterday.

>> No.16214235
File: 35 KB, 680x652, Screenshot_20210602_143039.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16211419
There's way more than four but not for long, Meituan takeover imminent.

>> No.16214318

>>16213861
You are exaggerating. Exaggerating never helps things. A $9 order usually comes out to a $20 order which is still retarded but people like you don't help

>> No.16214406

>>16211360
>ethical. If you are buying "local" to "support" your restaurents
kek
where the fuck do you think you are? do you think anyone here cares about ethics or supporting leftoid businesses? fucking retard.

>> No.16215655

Drove for Doordash back in 2018-ish? I'd leave the house at 10am, drive 30 minutes into the nearest big city, park, and read a book while waiting for the lunch hour to kick off. I'd reject all the orders that would take me longer than twenty minutes to complete and could usually get 2, maybe 3 done an hour. Wrap up at 2pm and head home. Do that five or six days a week, I think, for a total of maybe 20 hrs/wk. A couple times I tried doing it 9 to 5 and got maybe two orders the entire morning (9-11am) and evening (2-6)pm section. Lunch time was the way to go for sure.

After gas I'd make about $550/month, which covered my shared-house-over-the-summer-in-college rent (just barely) and with enough for some groceries. That's like $6.80/hour. That was before they started fucking with tips and pay, and also I was a spoiled piece of shit who had a paid off car I wasn't paying for the insurance on. So it would be way less if I that wasn't the case.

I've never used it myself. It feels really weird to get food that isn't pizza delivered; it feels especially sketchy to get it delivered by a third party. It's stupid expensive. I live near plenty of restaurants And I really don't want to support a business that turns the crushing alienation of staying inside your apartment until you go to your office until you go back to your apartment all day every day into some kind of twisted "self care" thing.

>>16214406
>leftoid businesses
glad to hear the divorce from reality finalized

>> No.16215996

>>16211508
That's an oligopoly.

>> No.16216636

>>16211360
Since inflation kicking off all I've done is cook. Can't afford to eat out or use these apps.

>> No.16217047

The main reason I hate these things is because I actually go into places to get my own food because I'm not a lazy slob. Such a joy to have to wait for the employees to make 100 giant grubhub orders before I get my own order.

I will say however I went out with the old lady once last year to an Indian restaurant and we sat down for a proper meal. There had to be about 20 grubhub or whatever drivers in there waiting and complaining about it taking so long. Our food wasn't coming that quickly either but we were in no rush and we let the clearly stressed out staff know that we understood what was going on. All I could do was drink my beer and laugh at the line of drivers waiting on their food.

>> No.16217116

>getting a person to deliver food is really difficult

fuck off tard - non-lazy business owners hire their own staff

>> No.16217236

>>16213910
You OWE us money for the privilege of being allowed to work.

>> No.16217364

>>16213910
absolute state

>> No.16217451

>>16215655
>It feels really weird to get food that isn't pizza delivered; it feels especially sketchy to get it delivered by a third party. It's stupid expensive. I live near plenty of restaurants And I really don't want to support a business that turns the crushing alienation of staying inside your apartment until you go to your office until you go back to your apartment all day every day into some kind of twisted "self care" thing.
It's cheaper than a DUI. Maybe if owners had pulled their heads out of their asses YEARS ago, we wouldn't have this problem. No one but Chinese and pizza delivered.

Post pandemic it's a little painfully expensive, but before all that, I worked my fucking ass off and wanted to come home for some beers and not cook with the 2 hours of my own time I had before bed.

Long story short, be happy you "live next to plenty of restaurants," I have to get in my car for any meal. I own a house. I make good money. I can afford someone bringing me a warm meal that tastes better than anything I can make for myself while also saving me the time and dishes.

>> No.16218174
File: 2.54 MB, 1938x1089, FoodPirate.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be postmates driver
>steal every order

>> No.16218182
File: 3.36 MB, 1938x1089, FreeSushi.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be postmates driver
>text customer
>"hey, someone stole your food, sorry"
>"what do i do now?"
>"idk lol"
>text postmates support
>"hey someone stole their order"

>> No.16218190
File: 2.85 MB, 540x960, Clean_It_Up_Jannies__.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be postmates driver
>can't find any homeless people to give free food
>go to bank which charged be $10 service fee out of nowhere
>make them clean it up

>> No.16218206

Just call the store directly as most places have their own delivery service. Or just go pick it up yourself and spend your tip money on gas instead

>> No.16218223
File: 217 KB, 812x1353, David_D_Davidson.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.16218280

>>16218206
>call store
>Paco answers
>he can't understand you, you can't understand him
>"hi, I'd like a lamb gyro with tzatziki, an order of hummus, and a side of pita bread"
>"okay sir pita"
>"wait did you get that order?"
>"yes sir okay pita sir please pay"
>give credit card number
>card machine is an extra charge
>no tracking on my order
>shows up an hour late
>bag has falafel and a side salad
>owner abed picks up my customer service complaint call
>"can i at least have a refund? my order was wrong"
>"maybe if you bring it back here, but no"
good times, love local ordering.

>> No.16218305

>>16218280
you forgot to say "death to Israel" at the end of the call
amateur

>> No.16218481

>>16211360
The delivery fee makes it expensive shit anyway. Only financially illiterate fags use this stuff regularly.

>> No.16218625

>>16218481
Thats not entirely true. Drunkards/drug addicts love using it. Rich kids love using it, and just overall lazy fucks love using it.

>> No.16219143

>>16218206
I don't know why anon, but at least in my area, they do not have their own delivery services and I am not sure why.
Maybe I could call them and ask instead... how do I even know when they fake the websites themselves? Fuck.
I heard a local restaurant owner say they're really fucking good at faking sites. And if they're based on contracts, for all I know, I've been going to the wrong site this whole time for every restaurant.

>> No.16219168

>>16211954
They're complaints are based on categories of wealth that are multiplicatively greater than their own, so this shit is irrelevant. Even if you save, you can still only do so much.

The issue goes beyond that... I think there's really a deeper issue here than just who makes gains.

>> No.16219239

>>16218174
>>16218182
This is low-key kinda based.
>The food costs more than you make in almost every case and you lower their reputation at the expense of lazy cunts

>> No.16219746
File: 99 KB, 615x990, edward-paisnel-the-beast-of-jersey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16211360
>>16211375
>>16211381
>>16211495
>>16211508
>>16211562
>>16211954
>>16213309
>>16213437
You stupid Amerifats,Amerilards,Americunts.......Tips........fuck off with ya tips such a stupid brain dead people. Smh l..........pfft nothing personal i guess