[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 21 KB, 474x474, fdgm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16110519 No.16110519 [Reply] [Original]

I HATE my electric oven, I swear to god. I lived 20 years with fire ovens, and never had a problem cooking.

6 months in a place with an electric oven and i HATE IT. My oven NEVER gets hot enough, I have to wait TWICE AS LONG FOR FOOD TO COOK OR HEAT UP. It's especially aggravating since I do not have a microwave. Who the fuck invented this garbage????? Not to mention it's so easy to forget the top burners are even fucking on or hot. Fuck this man fuck.

>> No.16110568

>>16110519
I've had electric oven my whole life except for one apartment I lived in for awhile.
I miss a gas stove.
Electric sucks balls.

>> No.16110631

>>16110519
You can help this along by putting several uncoated ceramic tiles in the electric over, on the bottom rack, and allowing for a very long heat up time. As in at least an hour and a half.

Modern ovens lack mass, even the gas ovens, but whereas a gas oven has a quick recovery after you put whatever uncooked dish into it (cold thing) the electric cannot recover to that degree. So you need to compensate with more mass inside the oven. Use uncoated ceramic or slate tiles, fireplace type brick works too but is bulky by comparison. Run the oven on the "clean" cycle once or twice to ensure there's nothing smelly left on the tile, then forget about it. Then when you put a cold thing into your preheated oven, the mass of the tile will prevent a slow temperature recovery once you close the oven door again.

It's not perfect, but it helps with what you are rightly complaining about.

>> No.16110666
File: 29 KB, 480x360, 2ddabdd9305266decaa40714293783a9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16110631
Like pic related my man? Someone should nuke the creator of electric ovens. This is probably why people cling to Instapot, Air fryers, and those portable induction tops. Easy to use those small things to heat stuff up fast than these huge fucking ovens.

>> No.16110675

I have an induction range and I hate it. I hate it so much. I get pans and pots that are supposed to work well with induction, but guess what? They never fucking work! I am so God damn frusterated

>> No.16110678

>>16110666
Yeah like that. The more brick you put inside, the longer it will take to pre-heat but the better it will be at "recovery". Don't allow the brick to touch the electrical coils, it can be a 1/4 inch away, but don't let it rest on the coils at all, or it will break them and having to replace coils on a shitty electric stove sucks a lot.

>> No.16110709

>>16110666
>Someone should nuke the creator of electric ovens

Yeah well, when the first electric ovens came out, they solved an opposite sort of problem and were really popular with the (mostly women) who used them... I mean they replaced coal and/or wood stoves, which were a bitch to fuel up, keep going at a steady pace and above all, keep clean.

What needs to happen, is for someone to build a proper heavy stove that has electrical heating built in. Something with a large internal mass that once it gets heated, stays hot when you open the door. I'd buy a stove like that. Fortunately, I have a gas stove/oven. When the Koof hit, restaurant equipment became less expensive, so I bought a Wolf for the house, and even with this oven/stovetop, I put no less than 8 tiles inside it, at the bottom as I described. Not it doesn't even come on when you open the door, and is nice in winter, as it heats the kitchen for a while in the evenings after having been used.