[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 18 KB, 361x488, no fridge.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14698409 No.14698409 [Reply] [Original]

I will be without a fridge for probably at least a week. What are some good recipes and ideas for food that won't leave me with stuff i'll need to refrigerate?
I'm Vegetarian so if anyone has any good recommendations for specifically vegetarian food that'd be great

>> No.14698432

>>14698409
Looks like you'll be shopping day by day, meal by meal then.

>> No.14698486

what foods do you like to cook in a fridge

>> No.14698488

Get a cooler and fill it with ice. I did that for a few weeks when I stupidly pierced the coils on my refrigerator.

>> No.14698498

>>14698488
Story on piercing the coils?

>> No.14698500

Make some mock tuna salad. Keep the peas in the cooker, or uncooked, until you're ready to eat them.

Mayo should stay good for a few days, or a week.

>> No.14698514

>>14698498
I was a moron and trying to defrost my refrigerator by scraping it off. Apparently there was a known flaw on the placement of the thermistor so it wasn't automatically defrosting, and the fan was scraping along the ice making a racket. So I think I'm being careful and gently using a plastic scraper... and I pierce this teeny tiny thin aluminum coils and all the refrigerant comes pissing out. On a cheaper refrigerator, the proper thing to do would be to just buy a new one, but this fucker goes for over $2k new and I only had it for a year. So I paid like $800 for a guy to put in a new condenser coil and add refrigerant. I really was tempted to try it myself, but the necessary tools and skills are just out of my reach, and if you do it wrong you end up fucking the compressor and will need to buy a new refrigerator anyways.

>> No.14698517

pretend you're impotent and eat out every day

>> No.14698536

>>14698432
Not really ideal with the pandemic, want to limit exposure to anyone.

I still have a working freezer btw

>> No.14698560

>>14698409
Stock up on:
Potato's
Pasta
Frozen tomato sauce
Bread
Fruits
Spices
Wraps
canned stuff

Basically everything except for dairy and fresh vegetables, of which you can keep some out of the fridge too. perhaps you can keep SOME cheeses and carrots outside of the fridge.

>> No.14698588

Pasta and sauce, parmesan cheese
Veggie chili and corn bread or polenta
Soup (freeze leftovers)
Rice and stir fry veg
Baked potato with chili

>> No.14698645

A surprising number of vegetables do not require refrigeration. Potatoes, onions, cabbages, carrots... all do mostly fine until cut.
Surely you can learn to only soak enough dry beans for one meal (1/2c dry should be more than enough).

Basically you only need to worry about dairy and eggs; a cooler and ice will give you half a chance.

>> No.14698681
File: 2.62 MB, 406x720, 1598932690914.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14698536
>pandemic

>> No.14698741

>>14698536
Is it full of frozen foods, or could you switch the temperature to be that of a fridge?
Anyways, many vegetables can tolerate room temperature, or you could have a cooler and rotate in ice packs. Many cheeses freeze well. Depending on your country, leaving eggs on the counter may or may not be an option. It might be worth buying, cooking, and freezing some omelettes or scrambled eggs beforehand to provide vegetarian animal proteins. Anyway the pandemic is a meme, and if you're vegetarian you probably lack other risk factors, so feel free to shop every day or two.

>> No.14698927

>>14698409
>vegetarian
Try eating a bag of dicks, fag.

>> No.14699452

>>14698409
Who the fuck cooks with a fridge? Do you make a stir-fry in the veg drawer?

>> No.14699487

A foam cooler and a bag of ice is like $6 so you can keep milk/egg/etc for cooking. Eggs also don't really need to be refrigerated they can stay out for a few days no problems.

So you can still have egg and vegie scrambles without a fridge. Stuff like zucchini, garlic, onions can say out on the counter and you can use 5 eggs and a few tablespoons of milk to make a fluffy scramble with the other vegetables.

Root foods generally don't need to be refrigerated as long as they are not in a humid place.

I included eggs because most vegetarians I know who don't call themselves vegans eat them if I'm wrong then change your diet because eggs are fucking good.

If you do have cold/frozen berries you can cook them now and can them as well. Knowing how to can fruit is essential and you don't know its essential until you need it.

>> No.14699592

Harder cheeses can be kept outside the fridge but they do better wrapped in paper rather than plastic, even mature cheddar stays edible. Most vegetables keep pretty well too except for leafy greens and stuff with high water content like cucumbers. Root veg and brassicas are particularly resiliant at room temperature Eggs can be ok outside the fridge for weeks if they are unwashed.
Being vegetarian makes going fridgeless EZ mode really, the worst part is not being able to prep ahead or cook batches of things.