[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 206 KB, 1280x850, 1596139644415.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14499456 No.14499456 [Reply] [Original]

I don't trust /out/ to accomplish more than making MREs, so I wanna ask you guys something about camping foods.

Is there any way to safely categorize ingredients by whether they can be cooked into a meal, kept in an unrefrigerated container for up to several days and then reheated on a camping stove? Most animal products are out of the question I guess. What about dried meats like salami, would it keep for several days unrefrigerated, and would frying it increase or decrease that amount of time? Are there other kinds of foods I have to steer clear of?

Or would it be more advisable to carefully weigh ingredients for a meal uncooked and then only cook them once outdoors? At least then I'd have a clear picture of what needs or doesn't need refrigeration, but I'd also need to take more containers and possibly more utensils.

>> No.14499476

Preserved meats are good if kept at cellar temperature or below. Hotter than that and you're taking a chance.

>> No.14499482

>>14499456
I don't know shit about survival myself, but former SAS guy wrote that pemmican is good field ration and pretty easy to make yourself.

>> No.14499483

>>14499456
>I have never heard of canned beans

>> No.14499537

>>14499483
If I only wanted to eat canned beans I would've simply consulted /out/.

>> No.14499889
File: 133 KB, 720x960, b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My partner and I live in WA and camp a bunch. We've sort of figured out our own unique methods for cooking that work best for us.

You're going to want to invest in a top shelf cooler. Doesn't have to be name brand, because everybody makes their own version of the Yeti coolers now. Doesn't matter, as long as it keeps your shit cool for longer than a day,.

We have a french press for coffee and a small bottle of creamer and I usually prepare in advance things like boiled eggs and smoothies for breakfast. For lunch, I'll typically have some form of sandwich made up. A big boy that we can chop in half and share. MAYBE a can of our favorite soup if we're hungry. For snacks, I always insist on going to the dollar store and loading up and chips and crackers and cookies and garbage food that anyone may want. It's cheap and their choice, so everyone's happy. For dinner, I like to do tinfoil wrapped shit. Salmon and Asparagus with garlic bread, for example. Throw everything but the bread into a foil pouch, toss on fire, move around so it doesn't burn. Eat. This can be done with pork chops, beef, chicken, whatever. You just gotta google it and everybody's got a million different ideas.

>> No.14499922

>>14499889
Thanks but I guess we're thinking of different kinds of camping. My camping needs to fit on a bicycle.

>> No.14499934
File: 31 KB, 373x450, veenieweenies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14499922
Oh. My bad. Yeah, that changes some things. I don't suppose you have a dehydrator? Older versions you can find at the thrift store are usually still good. I would think that keeping water on you isn't easy on a bike, so you'd have to consider the freeze-dried option with that factor. Peddling around with cans of soup probably won't work that well either. Hmm.

What's your opinion on canned meats?

>> No.14499946
File: 109 KB, 1000x1000, beer belt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

HERE YOU GO OP! The only caloric food you need.

>> No.14500017

>>14499456

The best solution is a dehydrator. Make your meals, dehydrate them and pour boiling water over them at camp. They are light, allow you to focus on carrying water, they are going to be safer than trying to gamble on refrigerated animal products.

Start loading up on fast food mayo packets. The mayo can be used like butter for grilled cheese sandwiches or added to tuna packets.

Dry beef in the oven similar to how you would make jerky. Use that as a protein source. The fattier the meat, like salami, the faster it's going to go bad.

You can use pickled ingredients, pickled sausage and hardboiled eggs.

Armor makes a dried beef that comes in a glass jar. It's salty as hell.

Salt cod would be an option.

Use powdered milk and powdered eggs.

You might look into retort/pouch canning.

>> No.14500072

>>14500017
Along this vein of thought, it probably wouldn't hurt to walk through an outdoor equipment store, like REI and take a look at the freeze-dried food section and see what they have. You don't have to buy it, of course, but it's good to see what people generally go for on occasions such as yours. Maybe you can vacuum seal some rice and beans and shit and replicate some of the things they have for sale.

>> No.14500094

>>14499889
If you and your husband can afford the weight and space to bring a cooler camping you're not actually camping, you're just going into the forest to have gay sex

>> No.14500139

>>14499456
(source: worked trail maintenance/construction for a while)

If you're camping in a stationary area for a while with access to a running body of water, you basically have a fridge. We would put meat in buckets, tie the bucket to a tree, and toss it in a stream to decent effect.

If you're on the move, obviously anything fresh gets problematic. Carrying cooked stuff can also add weight as it will presumably contain added water in most cases.

I strategy among AT throughhikers I saw a lot was carrying a lot of dried carbs (rice, beans, pasta) and some other dried components for flavor (summer sausages, raisins and other dried fruits, etc). They would make up porridge with these ingredients and some other flavoring component. I saw pre-prepared spice mixtures ala kitchen pepper if you're familiar with Townsends, canned sauce bases like bullion or tomoato paste, flavored oils, and sometimes even the flavor packets from fast ramen (they would use the noodles at home to make something else and save the packet).

>> No.14500176
File: 112 KB, 474x380, 1562330076400.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14499889
>>14500017
>>14500139
Whats this? Serious advice on /ck/? I must be drunk.

>> No.14500194

>>14499476
This entirely depends on the type of preserved meat. Supermarket cured/salted meats are designed with refrigeration in mind. They won't last without refrigeration. Pre-1900 recipes for salting and dry curing meats are generally designed without refrigeration in mind.

>> No.14500207

>>14500094
Come join us. Always room in the tent for one more.

>> No.14500258
File: 233 KB, 1280x958, 2F5EE538-BE35-4194-824E-CF66E3A30673.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14499922
I do mostly car camping/offroading "overlanding" for you faggots out there, but also backpack and bikepack when I have time (which is less often nowadays).

Here are some of the basics: your food should center around one of these 3 carbs - pasta, potatoes, bread. All require no refrigeration are easy to make with just a little bit of water and are fucking delicious. Obviously for meats, dried/canned work super well, but for me personally that isn't good enough. Get yourself a bikepack specific cooler (google it there are quite a few) fill it up with other stuff in it than just the meat you are bringing so its not just a bunch of wasted space. Its basically a backpack. I always seal and freeze whatever meat I plan to bring beforehand so it stays cold as long as possible. If you freeze it, put it in on eof those coolers with ice, and aren't retarded, you can get close to a week out of your meats in there. Hope this helps though, and good luck with your trip - having good food along the way makes or breaks it IMO.