[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 685 KB, 2048x1825, 20150408WHITE-slide-L0ZB-superJumbo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14302553 No.14302553 [Reply] [Original]

Is he our guy, /ck/?

>> No.14302673

On one hand you can't deny that the man fundamentally redefined the idea of British haute cuisine, and if it wasn't for him, your favorite English-accented chef(s) would be an irrelevant nobody right now.

On the other hand, he became an embittered sellout later in life, although I suppose that's not all that surprising given British tabloid culture in the 80s and 90s, and perhaps speaks to his humanity more than anything.

>> No.14302691

>>14302673
He worked his whole life toward one goal only to realise he doesn't even care about it...
That's fucking terrifying to me personally.

>> No.14302693

Knorr won three Michelin Stars across multiple restaurants and cuisines throughout Europe over the last fifty years.

Kill yourself if you don't try it.

>> No.14302699

>>14302691

A man spends his whole life climbing a ladder just to find out it's leaning against the wrong wall.

>> No.14302741

>>14302673
>British tabloid culture in the 80s and 90s
can you elaborate for an amerifat pls

>> No.14302754

>>14302553
>Is he our guy
None of them are. Stop looking to celebrities for fulfilment and belonging.
At best, some of them are entertaining or informative to watch for a bit sometimes.

>> No.14302828

>>14302741
I don't know what tabloid culture has got to do with Marco turning out the way he is (I think anon is just making a conjecture and trying to place Marco in a wider cultural context) but Marco was the first celebrity chef in the UK and the story broke after a photoshoot in his restaurant which the OP picture is from.

Tabloid culture is more or less what you'd expect it to be - they have the power to put someone in the spotlight, usually using their real story as the basis. For Marco it was the real story of his impressive achievements, for others celebs it will be whatever they've done (actors, athletes, royalty etc). Once the spotlight is on the person the tabloids will basically publish any controversial rumours that they could just entirely make up, and the person will be subjected to constant harassment and probes into their private life to unearth anything (and pay large amounts of money) that could be used as the basis for a moral outrage story. They've also tapped people's phones and bribed police (was a big scandal in the UK). They build someone up then write about how they cheat on their partners, how they're addicted to drugs, how an old school friend claims they're a homophobe, etc. The ultimate story was someone dying at the end of it all. Basically the tabloids are like that bully which hits you then when the teacher comes they say "he did it first!".

For a good case in a nutshell to get an idea of how it all works, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWqvWFUj51k

>> No.14302848

>White once made Gordon Ramsay cry when Ramsay worked for him in Harveys early in Ramsay's career. "I don't recall what he'd done wrong but I yelled at him and he lost it. Gordon crouched down in the corner of the kitchen, buried his head in his hands and started sobbing."[16]

holy fucking based

>> No.14302857

>>14302673
>British haute cuisine
You meant he did french cuisine in Britain. What is haute cuisine in Britain is french, not British. Using local ingredients doesn't change that fact.

>> No.14302962

Yes, he's knorr guy

>> No.14303135

>>14302673
I think he just burned out and realized he's cooking for faggots after getting 3 Michelin stars and enough money. There's always time for something else and better quit at the top than just go like the naked chef...

>> No.14303144

>>14302828
Marco knew really well how to gain attention to the benefit of his restaurant. He ejected a food critic sitting with Joan Collins once and it resulted in lot of attention etc.
Gordon Ramsay stole Marco's restaurant's log book once and so on.

>> No.14303151

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXTQ8yTWVWQ

>> No.14303228

Another one maybe more interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPX8j2dvc_k
He started at 16 and in ten years he had 3 stars. However, he has been lucky from the get go to be able to get accepted as an apprentice in reputable restaurants and he paid attention. If you really work hard, in 5 years you'll be great and in 10 you are a master. It might be an instrument or it might be something else like cooking which isn't that hard in that sense but it takes an obsession and really anal mindset to succeed.

>> No.14303511

>>14302848
There's also this story where Ramsay quit after Robuchon threw a fucking plate on his face

Gordon has seen some wilder shit than what happens in his cooking shows.

>> No.14303540

This guy is litterally /ourguy/. The paradigm to which we do not aspire to, but given sufficient talent, will resemble very much no matter how hard we try not to become it.

He is even better at tv shows than Gordon. He doesn't have that raw aggressivity Gordon has, but man, by watching him on that show, and by extrapolating what he could've been capable of saying and doing when younger and not under a camera and managing his own restaurant, you can easily imagine how Gordon curled up and cried like a bitch. He has a terrifying fucking aura.

In a way, that's how fuckers here are trying hard to become. assholes with slight /pol/-ish undertones, except a lot of people here are inept and lazy.

>> No.14303554

>>14302553
WHERES MY KINGFISH

>> No.14303559

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5jheof

fucking based

>> No.14303633

>>14302693
Lol.
As terrrifying as the sellout videos are, this shit probably still tastes really good and 90 percent of the population could not do better on their own.

>> No.14303690

>>14302553
Really just a posterchild.for how toxic the chef subculture is, and why nobody should support restaurants.

>> No.14303710

>>14302553
Jim Morrison? He's alright