[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 2.06 MB, 720x646, 618661_bard-bot_jill-stingray-va-11-hall-a-censor.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14300319 No.14300319 [Reply] [Original]

How would one go about becoming a bartender.
I make a lot of drinks in my free time and always try to make a new cocktail a few times a week.
That said I have no idea how I would go about getting a job as a starting bartender.
I once applied for one years ago while lokoing for a waiter position and they just shut me down saying I have no experience or training.
Should I look to be taking classes to get some "certification"? I live in the States and Maryland specifically.
I don't drink coffee.

>> No.14300335

>>14300319
Apply at a bar. Try to seem cool. Lie about your experience, what are they gonna check

>> No.14300359

>>14300319
challenge their lead bartender to a drink mixing contest

>> No.14300370

>>14300319
Most bartenders I've seen are women, though the best ones are men. I also believe that bartending pays such shit wages that they tend to have multiple jobs.

>> No.14300378

>>14300319
You have to start as a bar-back at a local dive bar or shitty corporate bar and grill chain. You can't touch the booze, you just keep the glasses stocked up, clear tables, and mop up spills. After you do that for awhile they'll probably give you some stupid field test and if you pass congrats now you're a bartender with experience tending bar. Put that on your resume and exaggerate your level of experience to obtain a job at a better bar. Rinse and repeat until you are serving martinis to Prince Andrew. And then you can fucking poison that pedophile piece of shit

>> No.14300388

>>14300370
Work at higher end bars. I knew a guy who earned enough to pay his rent in one weekend. Dude was constantly ripped on cocaine because he could afford it.

>> No.14300409

>>14300319
>get bartending license
>apply for bartending job
>????
>profit

>> No.14300416

>>14300409
>profit
Yeah good luck with that

>> No.14300444

>>14300416
I knew a bar tender that made mad cash but he was like a mixing demon and went to all these schools and workshops and things. He worked at a fancy hipster bar, made all his money durning the weekends then basically jacked off for the rest of the week.

but he had to do circus shit when it was slow. like he was contractually obligated to do a few "flares" every hour.

>> No.14300449

>>14300378
>tending bar
>>14300444
>bar tender
SHUT THE FUCK UP

>> No.14300506

>>14300319
go to any decent looking restaurant, lie and say you've worked a bar before, get job

wa la
spoiler: most people will order a beer, a jack and coke, a margarita, a mojito, or a voda + juice

>> No.14300521

>>14300506
But there's more to it than that. You need to be able to talk to people without being an autist. You have to recognize the big tippers, you have to know when to buy back drinks.

>> No.14300587

>>14300319
STARS training and maybe pick up work at a local liquor store getting a feeling for all the types of liquor out there.
Get a suitcase maybe? Fill it with a couple of shakers, jiggers, swizzle sticks, and little knick knacks here and there that are used to mix drinks.
Go online and search for mixology certifications maybe?
Build an air about yourself that exudes a sense of professional ambition and experience driven focus. Bullshit fake it till you make it into any of the numerous bartending positions available at chain restaurants, some liquor stores have bars in them, try nicer restaurants, and maybe look at a temp agency that can set you up with local events that use bartenders.

>> No.14300590

>>14300319
bartenders are degenerate and anyone who does that job is a total piece of shit.

>> No.14300594

>>14300370
the best anything is always a man unless it's a sport that involves a gaping hole, and even then it's a toss up

>> No.14300644

>>14300319
Every state, county, city will have some sort of ordinances that means you need some kind of proof that you've passed current food safety courses or regulations testing. FDA oversees it on a Federal level, ANSI. How you learn the info before the test may be some crooked schools operating expensive classes, be careful. As a bartender you could be the one guy in charge at any one time, never know, last guy to lock up or something since there's cleaning end of night, and you might need it. Know the laws and info, anyway. There's also some liability to bartenders to not overserve (driver could kill people on the way home), and other factors that can cause a business to lose their liquor license or bond that got them that in the first place. In other words, you could cost them a million dollars in one mistake.

http://foodsafetytrainingcourses.com/maryland_food_safety_training_course.html

Are you going to be a good training bartender? Probably most people can open beers while someone else googles drinks as they learn them one by one, big deal. But, where do you start? One thing you can do in lieu of experience is take one of those courses. Look at the hospitality schools at your city and state colleges, first. These have fees that are tax dollar supported and lower cost. They will also offer the certification training. They get a ton of vocational dollars from the state to offer tests for free too. After that, private schools like Johnson and Wales, etc.

Know who might give you a chance? A nightclub, which is really more than 1 business. They are a building owner/license holder, and promoters buy their nights at that club, and the promoter/owner of that night may have a lot of turnover. You will likely only make tip money and nothing more. It's like volunteering, and probably completely under the table, or else you'll get $40 at the end of the night when they cash out the cover charge and divy it up. Befriend ppl in your scene.

>> No.14300711

>>14300594
Even the big titty milf with perfect smiles and flawless skin? She seems alright to me.

>> No.14300716

>>14300711
I guarantee you in a world dicksucking championship, a man would beat her

>> No.14300727

>>14300711
The big titty milf at my local restaurant/pub is barely getting by and in fact is in a relationship with a cop just to survive.

>> No.14300737

>>14300716
thats not true
Women will eventually through evolution stop having gag reflexes due to oral sex

>> No.14300775

>>14300319
You won't start as a bartender anywhere that's worthwhile. They won't put someone with no experience and no training out to tend their bar where there is booze at stake, high cost booze, and risks like broken glass, overserving patrons, money handling, and all of that.

Best you will do is to get a job at a corp chain as a waiter and tell them that you will work as a waiter but you fully intend to become a bartender and you expect to start bar training with them within X amount of time. Be firm on this. If they agree to start bar training you in 6 months and they don't, quit and move forward without a second thought.

Everyone wants to be a bartender, kid. Most people suck ass at it and no one wants to pay you to waste their booze. So you will have to be precise and not take the easy way out to prove that you have the salt.

>> No.14300813

>>14300711
once you start interacting with women in real life you'll realize what a mess most of them are

>> No.14300823

>>14300737
stop animalpomorphizing women. only ducks are able to do that

>> No.14300847

>>14300813
yeah but same with men

>> No.14300850

>>14300716
i mean literally all the modern advances in dick-sucking technique come from gay men.

>> No.14300878

>>14300847
sure but I'm not barking up that tree

>> No.14300939

>>14300319
The big thing with bartending is not making the cocktails. Every autist with a bit of effort can make a good mixologist, the guy who mixes cocktails. The great bartender is the one who can deal with the costumers best. And that comes with elements of both entertainment, and hospitality. And that's much harder than mixing drinks. It's about reading people, and dealing with the cast that'll show up at your front door every night.

>> No.14300965

>>14300319
>this fucking gif
WHY?! WHAT A FUCKING WASTE OF GOOD GIN!!
FUCK HER AND FUCK THE DUDE WHO MADE THIS SHIT.

>> No.14301009

>>14300965
weebs have a weird fetish for sucking liquids from neoprene/stockings and stuff.

>> No.14301045

>>14300587
A suitcase of booze and swizzles seems a lot fancier than my flask. Maybe that's what I've been missing

>> No.14301496

>>14301009
Somehow I don't think you'd have to be a weeb to like tits and gin.

>> No.14301499

>>14300319
>go to local pub
>apply for a job
>get job
>realize that 80% of the time you're just topping up beers and the other 20% of the time it's just gin&tonic, vodka&juice or rum&coke.
>collect your min wage pay and realize that you have to be sober around drunk retards every night.
>hope and pray that your country/state/area is lax with work laws and hope that you're able to at least enjoy a few beers on-shift.
>quit when you realize you have to be sober at your bar job all the time and that being around drunk idiots 5 nights a week fucking sucks.

at best, do it as a hobby 1 night a week and ONLY if you can get drunk on shift.
bar work fucking sucks otherwise.
yanks and canadians love it I guess cuz tips means fat pay, but it's much much much harder to get a bar job in a tipping country.

>> No.14301502

>>14300370
>tipping country
bartending's usually the best paying job in most towns. as such it's competitive, you have to either be blonde with big tits or if you're a guy you have to have a resume a mile long and work in the kitchen/dishwashing first and then hope one of the dude bartenders quits or dies of old age.

>non-tipping country
it's just a typical minimum wage service job. high turnover.
out bush the pub's usually the only business in town, for better or for worse.

>> No.14301523

>>14301496
I am rather fond of boobs and booze.