[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 52 KB, 438x606, cilantro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14108865 No.14108865 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone else follow this Ayurvedic stuff? It's uncanny how correct it is.

Satvic foods are supposed to be "calm and light" - milk, fruits, most lentils, rice

Rajasic foods are "energy giving" - garlic, onion, sour/savory spices, chicken/fish, certain lentils (especially red lentils). any high "umami" food like soysauce/oyster mushroom/msg/miso/woostshire/tomato

Tamasic foods are supposed to be heavy and should be eaten in moderation or not at all, depending on which source you're asking - beef, most beans, dense cheeses, whole wheat, brown rice

>> No.14108867
File: 205 KB, 1024x680, hanwoo beef.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14108865
first time I heard about this I knew there was something to it, because it reflected my experiences.

The Satvic foods are basically foods that you can eat at any time--you don't need to feel hungry in order to eat them comfortably.

The Rajasic foods are the same, but unlike the Satvic ones they're super addicting.

The Tamasic foods are sort of heavy and you need to be feel very hungry in order to eat these comfortably. For example, I could eat infinite amounts of shrimp, fish, and chicken, but if I eat just a half pound of beef I'm done.

>> No.14108879
File: 162 KB, 640x649, slime popsicle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14108867
The funny thing is that many of these Indian sources have some political correctness baked in, meaning they always try to convince you that meat is bad.

But what I've really found, through experimentation, is that it's the Rajasic foods that are bad--they're overstimulating and addicting, and I always feel like shit after eating them. If I just stick to Satvic and occasional Tamasic foods, my brain operates way better and I don't get anxiety and "spreading my attention too thin" syndrome.

This list is pretty good, though there are some things I would modify.

http://www.nithyananda.org/Nithyananda-eNcyclopedia/Sattvic%20Rajasic%20Tamsic%20Food.html

>> No.14108888
File: 157 KB, 800x1000, 800px-Oryctolagus_cuniculus_Tasmania_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14108879
Here's what I would change about that list

>figs
belongs in tamasic, although a tamasic fruit isn't as heavy as a tamasic meat

>kidney bean
tamasic

>apples
satvic

>nightshades
too general. Tomatoes are def rajasic, eggplants would be tamasic.

>avocagdo
maybe rajasic

>watermelon
satvic

>mushrooms/garlic/onion
all rajasic

>cheese
depends on what kind. The dried concentrated ones like cheddar/gouda etc are tamasic. Fresh stuff like ricotta is sattvic.

>> No.14109111

>>14108865
>>>/x/