[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 45 KB, 681x1024, Sidecar-cocktail.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13886336 No.13886336 [Reply] [Original]

Since everyone's stuck at home for the quarantine I've decided that I'm going to work on making cocktails, got a bunch of different liquors, bitters, simple syrup, etc... What are you guys drinking? What would you recommend trying?

I made a sidecar yesterday, it was pretty damn tasty. Though now I have a whole bottle of grand marnier, what should I use it for?

General co/ck/tails thread

>> No.13886377

Mostly been drinking Americanos, although I just ran out of vermouth so I've switched to wine spritzers.

Would suggest Boulevards or B-52s for Grand Marnier

>> No.13886432

>>13886336
I like a variation of the Sidecar/Brandy Crusta: 60ml cognac/armagnac, 20ml lemon juice, 7ml each of maraschino, curacao/triple sec, simple syrup and 2 dashes of angostura.
Actually had a Mai Tai today.

>> No.13886465

>>13886336
Grand Marnier is a key ingredient in a Moonwalk.
Made to commemorate the first lunar landing and was the first drink the Apollo team had after getting out of their own quarantine (NASA still didn't know the effects space would have on microbes and were worried about mutated diseases).
1 part GM
1 part grapefruit
Few drops of rose water (if you have it)
2 parts sparkling wine (champagne is typical but use what you like/have)

I usually go for old fashioneds and the occasional martini, made with 2 parts gin 1 part fino sherry instead of vermouth.

>> No.13886515

>>13886336
my favorite is fernet branca and kahlua, maybe add a splash of club soda. Serve slightly chilled. I also make whiskey sours all of the time, gonna have one after work since I have one lemon left and I'll be fasting the rest of the week and it probably won't be good by the time my fast ends. Cuba libre is another simple classic, after i fast i'm gonna have a few because i want to get rid of this bottle of rum i have.

>> No.13886545

>>13886336
I'm a sucker for a Satan's Whiskers, which is basically an exploration of everything you can get out of orange flavours in a cocktail.

Equal parts of the main five ingredients (a 'perfect mix' if we're using traditional cocktail slang):
Sweet Vermouth (traditionally Martini Rosso)
Dry Vermouth (traditionally Noilly Prat)
Gin (traditionally Plymouth Gin, for the citrus-forward character)
Grand Marnier (this makes a straight Satan's Whiskers, curaçao/cointreau makes a curled)
Fresh orange juice
A dash of orange bitters

>> No.13886559

>>13886336
>What are you guys drinking?
I've seen it with a variety of names, I call it a Web In Front because I'm dreadful with names, but it's essentially 2 oz rye whisky (American, not Canadian, the more rye the better), 1 oz lime juice (freshly pressed), 3/4 oz maple syrup (actual syrup, by all accounts), shaken and served with a lime wheel garnish. Yeah, it's a sour variation, but it's damn tasty. Rye's two major flavors (mint/eucalyptus up front and cinnamon/nutmeg as an aftertaste) pair well with the bright sourness of lime early on and the smooth, almost smoky flavor of the maple.

>Though now I have a whole bottle of grand marnier, what should I use it for?
Grand Marnier/triple sec is a super, super basic liqueur. If you've got rum, you can defer to the Planter's Punch base (1 part sour, 1 part sweet, 4 parts strong, 4 parts weak) and go absolutely hogwild with it, as it adds even more sourness and complexity to it, and it's a Tiki base that's up there. That said, knowing that you have brandy, I'd suggest getting another liqueur that you like and going with the Last Word base (1 part sour, 2 part liqueurs, 1 part strong). I might suggest using Creme de Menthe or Falernum, maybe Allspice Dram.

>> No.13886561
File: 2.29 MB, 2736x4010, _20200404_181526.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not much for alcohol, but I developed a taste for Shizuokawari when I lived in Shizuoka.
Its just green tea and shochu, but since I don't drink much I can't get the ratios right. The alcohol is too strong compared to the green tea. I'll need to keep tinkering.

>> No.13886568

>>13886545
Somehow, I feel that one works. Maybe a bit light on the booze end, but I can see certain parallels of this to a weaker Negroni, and to be fair the Negroni is a very spirit-forward cocktail. If I was doing it I'd put twice as much gin as I'd put everything else, but it makes perfect sense.

>> No.13886581
File: 548 KB, 600x800, 1585625378604.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13886336
Drinking alcohol weakens the spiritual forces I have harnessed meditating and praying to Adolf Hitler.

Try a Fuhrerbunker.
2 shots vodka
2 shots rum
1 shot lime juice
2 shot of orange juice concentrate
6 million Jews

Shake over ice. Race war NOW.

>> No.13886626

>>13886568
>Maybe a bit light on the booze end
It's too acid and too low alcohol to be a drinker's cocktail. It's a sipping cocktail as an aperitif to a dinner evening.

>> No.13886640

>>13886626
Dude, it's close to a classical cocktail (the orange juice throws it for a spin, I'd cut that in half). And, yeah, most classic cocktails are aperitifs or digestifs, or to be consumed during dinner. The only real exceptions I can think to that are highballs.

>> No.13886683

>>13886640
I know it's close to a classic cocktail, that's why I suggested it to OP. A lot of more modern takes on cocktails are attempts to hide bottom-shelf spirits in just enough liqueur and mixer to get by. A lot of modern cocktail recipes will call for a half-measure of orange juice, or increase the spirits, but the length is there to bring out the complexity of the layers of different citrus notes against the clean orange background.

>> No.13887506

>>13886683
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm comparing it to the Negroni, the Martini and the Manhattan.