[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 142 KB, 1372x2058, Indian-Curry-Chicken-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13797546 No.13797546 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/ I'm in a bit of a pickle. I told someone I knew how to make curry but I really don't. Is this accurate? Could someone here point me in the right direction? Could someone walk me through it and correct me? Chicken curry. I only have two hours left.

2 spoons vegetable ghee / oil
2 bay leaves
Cassia Bark < I don't have this
3 Cardamom pods with shells cracked
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 + 1/2 medium onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
water as and when it dries out
6 medium sized chicken fillet strips
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (mild/medium)
2 medium tomatoes chopped

>> No.13797565

>>13797546
Face your lies and admit them faggot.

>> No.13797566

>>13797546
I would just put all those ingredients you mentioned in a microwave safe bowl and nuke it for 4 hours then pour the whole whole lot into my pyjama bottoms. Badly burned vulva.

>> No.13797568

Please help me. Youtube is giving me conflicting answers

>> No.13797569

>>13797546
>I told someone I knew how to make curry but I really don't
>I only have two hours left
Fucking retard

>> No.13797587

Toast the spices in a dry pan then grind or crush the ones that are whole. Sweat the aromatics (onion ginger and garlic) in oil or ghee and add the salt to help them release moisture. Mix in the spices and cook just til they're fragrant, then add your tomatoes and some water, and simmer the curry. Cut the filets into bite-sized pieces. 10 or so minutes before you're ready to serve, toss in the chicken pieces.

You could instead try to brown the chicken beforehand to create some flavor and then cook the curry in the pan in which the chicken was browned, like you're making a stew. But if you're using filets they're so small that you might overcook them this way, so it's a risk.

>> No.13797593

>>13797587
>Toast the spices in a dry pan then grind or crush the ones that are whole. Sweat the aromatics (onion ginger and garlic) in oil or ghee and add the salt to help them release moisture. Mix in the spices and cook just til they're fragrant, then add your tomatoes and some water, and simmer the curry. Cut the filets into bite-sized pieces. 10 or so minutes before you're ready to serve, toss in the chicken pieces.
>
>You could instead try to brown the chicken beforehand to create some flavor and then cook the curry in the pan in which the chicken was browned, like you're making a stew. But if you're using filets they're so small that you might overcook them this way, so it's a risk.
THANK YOU, after adding the tomatoes and water how long should I simmer? Would you add anything else to the ingredients list?

>> No.13797601

>>13797546
For the cassia bark, sub in a small amount of cinnamon.
It's very common to warm/toast spices in the initial oi. They don't get sprinkled dry into a dish.

To hot pan, medium heat, add cold oil, then add all spices (cept garlic or ginger root and bay leaves), but yes on rest.1 minute tops, stir to coat in oil and warm up the spices a bit. Add chopped onion (no peppers or any other veggies? boggle), still on medium heat, and when softened about 2 minutes, k now the garlic/ginger, then add chicken, brown on both sides or skip browning (indians skip it), water/stock to barely cover, tuck in the bay leaf, bring to boil, reduce to simmer, lid on. Think poaching 15-20mins. In about 10 minutes, add tomatoes. I would consider yogurt or coconut milk too. Fresh squeeze of lemon at the end.

Pro tip: top with cilantro leaves, green onion,toasted nuts, basil or crispy fried shallots or fried onions (spiced with spices).

FYI, I don't know any recipe that asks for curry powder AND garam masala AND all these spices. Both of the above are already blends. Either you just want more of a ratio that is heavier in one of the items, or you leave out one of the items. This seems immature to have a shit ton of every spice in the pantry into 1 dish. I think the goal is to have items taste different and to have more than 1 dish on the table. Your rice would contain the cumin seeds and bay or cinnamon. You'd have a bean/dal side that uses that fenugreek, but you curry wouldn't. Just for example.

>> No.13797617

>>13797601
Thanks I will skip the curry powder, and I do have about 11 cinnamon sticks all of them 3 inches long.

>> No.13797622

>>13797593
Yea, if it were me I would add more tomatoes, 2 doesn't seem like much. Some tomato paste could also help thicken the curry and make things less watery. If you're going to use paste, add it just before you add in the tomatoes and liquid. Some people like cream or yogurt in curry too, and fresh cilantro at the end wouldn't be bad either. And hopefully you have some rice to serve it over.

As for how long to simmer it doesn't really matter that much because nothing needs to cook through. You're just cooking the mixture to help the flavors meld together. So 20 minutes maybe and then taste it.

>> No.13797644

Just cheat get japanese curry roux blocks and follow the directions. I make curry from scracth

>> No.13797648

>>13797546
ran out to nearby indian restaurant and get take out
then you pour it in a pot pretend like you cooked it

>> No.13797673
File: 1.79 MB, 2280x1080, Screenshot_20200315-224809_Gallery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13797644
I tried that for the first time a few nights ago with the bricks and it turned out really well, pic related.

>> No.13797676

>>13797673
That looks good where are you from?

>> No.13797698

>>13797676
Thanks. Alberta, Canada. I pretty much followed the directions on the box just to get a baseline taste of how it tastes, served it exactly like OPs pic. Overall really enjoyed it, had great flavors and was easy to make, only regret was using a stewing beef that didnt become as tender as I'd prefer. Next time I'm going to use lamb I think. Also this was a perfect chance to really let my Dutch Oven shine.

>> No.13797776

>>13797644
What should I put in if I want to make it spicier?

>> No.13797788

>>13797776
put in some spice

>> No.13797877

>>13797601
Yeah, not him but also fuck the white meat chicken as well. For best flavor, get a chicken quarter and hack it into pieces with a cleaver. For second best flavor, get bone in chicken thighs and hack them in two. For third best flavor, get boneless skinless chicken thighs. For white people flavor, use white meat chicken.

>> No.13797885

>>13797546
why did you lie though

>> No.13797989

heres a video with a really simple recipe that tastes very close to restaurant curry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRYOVVexMhU

>> No.13798019
File: 916 KB, 1253x753, curry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13797587
>>13797601
>>13797622
Just added heavy cream pretty much done. Have some Basmati rice ready. Thanks again tastes good so far