[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 43 KB, 826x620, 1522170767328.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13634672 No.13634672 [Reply] [Original]

So I was looking for low-carb dessert recipes to go along with my diet, but most baked stuff require a flour substite such as almond flour, which is very expensive here. I figured meringue would be a good option. I know that sugar acts as a stabilizer in meringue though, and the only sweetener I have is cyclamate, which is much sweeter and therefore should be used in lesser quantities. I found recipes recommend other stabilizers, such is cream of tartar (which I don't have, but apparently lemon juice can also be used), and cornstarch (I know it's a carb, but you still need much less of it than if you used sugar).

What worries me is that many recipes also advise heavily against adding any moisture, and recipes involving starch recommend dissolving it in 1/2 glass of water of so. Should I perhaps skip the starch and only use a bit of lemon juice to stabilize?

Also, the only mixer I have has a plastic bowl, which is also not recommended due to grease concerns. Should I be fine if I degreased it with vinegar?

If you have any other meringue tips, or anything about low-carb sweets really, feel free to post here.

>> No.13634694

Lemon juice isn't great as it makes the meringue taste like lemon juice
Erythritol can be used as sugar substitute as it has comparable volume

>> No.13634696

I make meringues all the time. I've never cooked with cyclamate, but I have tried cooking with stevia, and let me tell you right now that these artificial sweeteners don't mimic sugar accurately. Stevia melts. It gets sticky and if you tried to make meringues with them they would melt and would never firm up. I learned my lesson trying to cook with it in other recipes. Just a warning that this recipe idea you have might not be feasible, you might just have to use real sugar or make something else

>> No.13634699

>>13634672
>flour substite such as almond flour, which is very expensive here
Blonde linseed and sunflower seed cost fuck all.

>> No.13634715

>>13634694
I really wouldn't mind the lemon flavor. And yes, I would've used erythritol if I had some.

>>13634696
>It gets sticky and if you tried to make meringues with them they would melt and would never firm up.
I'm guessing it's due to the lack of sugar and absence of any other stabilizers. Did you use cream of tartar or cornstarch? A recipe with stevia I found suggests using the former. Also, I googled sodium cyclamate melting point and it seems to decompose at 509 F, which should be more than safe.

>> No.13634720

>>13634699
I have some flaxseed flour, but the recipes on the box suggest using it to substitute only ~50% of the total flour content. Can you replace all flour in the recipe with it?

>> No.13634723

Also, what is the proper temperature to bake these these thigns? Some recipes say 200F for 2 hours, some say 350F for one hour. What difference is there?

>> No.13634731

>>13634723
If you want completely dry individual ones 120c for 50mins and then turn oven off and leave them in until its cool.
For disks for cakes you might use 140c for 90 mins.

>> No.13634733

>>13634731
Ah, the higher temperature recipes were indeed for cakes. Thanks.