[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 11 KB, 304x166, camping cooking.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13343569 No.13343569 [Reply] [Original]

What are some good foods to bring on a camping/backpacking trip? Thinking about both ready to eat things such as dried fruit and nuts as well as meals to make like spaghetti.

>> No.13343729

>>13343569
Depends on how long the trip is. Maybe provide some details about what you're doing

>> No.13343745

>>13343729
Getting in midday on 21 december, leaving somewhere in the afternoon on 23 december. Not terribly strenuous hiking but it will be in the mountains going between a bit above sea level and 3,500 feet

>> No.13343761

>>13343569
avoid things that need to be cooled obviously
take weather into account
tinned food is pretty good, so you can make veggie version of general meals, like Bolognese with lentil, or chilli with beans

museli with powdered milk makes a good breakfast, just add water and heat for porridge
eggs are always nice

what are your cooking utensils?
how much storage do you have?

>> No.13343776

>>13343761
we'll bring a mess kit, and we have 4 big backpacks among the four of us
thanks for the suggestion about the muesli, that has got me thinking about baking some oatmeal at home with fruit as I've had that before and it's really nice

>> No.13343778
File: 127 KB, 580x826, Van Camp's.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No trip is complete without the original, American, Van Camp's pork and beans. Unlike Heinz British beans in tomato sauce, these beans have a rich pork and tomato sauce, and ward off unwanteds from your campfire.

>> No.13343799

I hike a lot and usually plan the trip so I can get water without having to carry it.
Bring a lot of dried foods for that reason; rice, beans, lentils, oats... dried fruit to add to the oats in the morning.
Bouillon cubes or a mix of spices and salt in one of those old 35 mm. film canisters.
Meatwise we tend to hunt or fish but will often bring something like a salami or a chunk of bacon in case we have poor luck.
I'm not much of a trailmixman myself but we'll sometimes have a bag of peanuts along. Goes well into a stew even if you don't simply snack on it.

>> No.13343916

>>13343778
that would be a great idea but unfortunately on our first camping trip together, heinz beans became sort of legendary and so I am going to bring a can of those just for the memories
>>13343799
thanks, bouillon cubes sound great, also spices sound like a nice way to make anything better

>> No.13343936

>>13343745
I accidentally closed my browser, deleting the post I was writing to you, so here's a very streamlined version.

If you have a jetboil or something to boil water in, you can do oats/instant mashed potatoes/instant rice/premade soups. All are filling, but I'm not sure if you plan to cook for everyone or if everyone is responsible for their own food. Jerky is great to add in with the nuts and dried fruits, plus it's easy to eat while walking and delicious to boot. Cans of shredded chicken with some shredded cheese + tortillas is good and doesn't weigh much and you can make a lot of them, you could bring a tiny bottle of hot sauce as well. Of course protein bars are nice as well. Honestly the freeze-dried meals they make for backpacking are pretty good for what they are, but again I'd only get those if you're just planning on feeding yourself because they can get a little expensive if you're buying them for groups of people.

Pre-cooked sausages/weenies for roasting are always based and easy to share and filling. Getting a baggy of some peanut butter is also a decent idea so you don't have to carry around a whole jar, very calorie dense.

>> No.13344821

>>13343936
hey thanks, I like the sound of the sausages, that does sound pretty noice