[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 137 KB, 1200x1800, steak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13242258 No.13242258 [Reply] [Original]

hi lads i had been conducting some tests with steaks for the past few days based on knorr shilling from marco pierre white.
mpw claims several times in videos that seasoning your steak with a paste made from beef stock cube and some olive oil and rubbing that onto your steak is better than just seasoning it with salt and pepper so i put it to the test to see if he was onto something.
i did two different steaks (same cut - top sirloin every time) each three different times each and compared them. each steak was cooked medium rare
the first time was just a fry on the stove. steak 1 had salt and pepper seasoning only, steak 2 had the beef cube olive oil paste. couple minutes each side, and i honestly preferred the salt and pepper one more, however the beef cube paste one did taste noticeably "beefier" and was actually saltier than the salt and pepper one. they were both good but i liked steak 1 better.
the second time was on the barbecue, same thing. steak 1 had only salt and pepper, steak 2 had the beef cube olive oil paste. the stock cube one this time was noticeably better than the first time, and i had a hard time picking between the better of the two. i considered this one a tie, which lead me to my next experiment:
the third time was a six hour sous vide followed by fast fry, and i added a third steak this time: steak 1 had only salt and pepper, steak 2 had the beef cube olive oil paste, and steak 3 had the beef cube olive oil paste, and some black pepper with a tiny bit of salt extra (the cube paste is very salty already). steak 3 was noticeably better than the other two; it tasted beefier, which i enjoyed, and it still had the nice standard flavor of a salt and pepper seasoned steak. heres my conclusion:
it was best with the beef stock cube paste thing and season it with black pepper or your favorite steak spice also. low sodium if you can cause stock cubes are salty as hell.
stock cube paste is not as good as MPW makes it out to be, but its sill pretty good

>> No.13242264
File: 26 KB, 550x360, mpw-knorr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

tl;dr after you mentioned Knorr. I'm already sold

>> No.13242280

>>13242258
Those knorr cubes have a shit load of MSG in them so I would expect the flavors to be more intense. Skip the pepper until after the steak is cooked or it will just burn.

>> No.13242446

>>13242280
Gives it a smokey flavor then. I will fight anyone to the death who says seasoning their meat just prior to cooking is superior to dry brining, it's like I'm on a mission from God.

>> No.13242461

>>13242280
Use Better than Bouillon instead. Don't fuck with those shitty cubes.

>> No.13242536

After a while I just stopped season h steaks with anything other than just salt.

>> No.13242576

>>13242258
mpw isn't EXACTLY wrong but you'll get a better result seasoning and searing normally, then brushing the steak with real demi-glace just before you pull it off the heat to rest.
but then you have to make demi-glace, which is a whole fucking process in and of itself. what he's suggesting is essentially a cheater demi.
you can also pop a little whack of hotel butter on it if you like, as well.

>> No.13242581

>>13242258
Thank you for trying this, it was a really interesting read.

Try the red miso pill, though anon. A nice smear, both sides, like butter on a piece of toast, refrigerate for an hour, let come up to room temp for an hour covered by parchment, then kind of scrape 75% off with a paper towel while smushing it further into any crevices.

I did a blind taste test on that with some friends and it won, give it a try and if you do, please another writeup/picrel like this.

>> No.13242670

>>13242536
I honestly get the best results from just salt and pepper. Maybe a touch of garlic when searing. Maybe even omitting the pepper would be better.

>> No.13242687

>>13242670
For me kosher, or sea salt draws out the flavour, and if I'll add sauce during eating if I fancy a little more tartness.