[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 122 KB, 1200x1800, Philly-CheeseSteak-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13220096 No.13220096 [Reply] [Original]

Alright you cu/ck/s.
I got two fat ribeyes in my freezer. I'll need to do something with them soon or they'll get freezer burn.
I hear ribeye is a good piece of meat to make cheesesteak out of. As I am not from Philly, I have neither the ability nor the desire to be "truly accurate" and make a "genuine Philly Cheesesteak" because apparently everyone gets their panties in a twist over what to do and not to do to be considered a true Philly Cheesesteak.

But tell me if I understood the basic process correctly okay?

>take steaks, slice them into extremely thin strips, I assume while they're still mostly frozen so they slice easier
>put in pan with some sort of cooking fat, I hear beef tallow but I guess oil is fine too
>cook until golden brown
>chop up with spatula
>saute onions in the same pan until translucent
>mix up with steak strips, season with salt and pepper
>cover with Provolone
>scoop into bread roll
That about right?

Now, since I can't get my hands on these soft rolls they use, would a baguette that's gone squishy be good enough for bread? Does this need any sauce to be good? Do I need to leave any sauce off for it to be legit? Should I serve it with fries or is it filling enough? Any other tips and tricks you've always wanted to share?

>> No.13220103

>>13220096
>would a baguette that's gone squishy be good enough for bread?
should be fine

>Does this need any sauce to be good?
no, the flavors and juices of the meat should suffice.

fries depend on your appetite, you know yourself better than any of us.

I think grilling some chopped green pepper along with the onions would be great for a cheesesteak.

>> No.13220110

If you want to zest it up you can throw some marinara or hot giardinera in there too but you got the basics covered.

>> No.13220114

>>13220103
Thanks mate, green pepper does sound like it should fit right in there.

>> No.13220115

>>13220096
Sounds decent enough to me, I'd eat.
t. Phillyfag

I usually put pickled banana peppers on mine and sometimes a little ketchup. I like it with sauteed mushrooms too once in a while, but typically just onions. Never mayo or green peppers though, that's fucking gross and I'm not sure who thought that shit up. Also, anybody who says "whiz is authentic" is either jersey scum or a retard.

>> No.13220129

>>13220115
Oh, thanks, I was wondering about that Cheese Whiz.

>>13220110
Not sure if I'm up for something fermented in there, but thanks.

>> No.13220149

>>13220129
Giardinera is pickled, not fermented. They make mild versions too.

>> No.13220171

>>13220149
Oh, okay, I guess that would add some nice tang and maybe crunch, too.

>> No.13220316

>>13220096
>, I have neither the ability nor the desire to be "truly accurate" and make a "genuine Philly Cheesesteak" because apparently everyone gets their panties in a twist over what to do and not to do to be considered a true Philly Cheesesteak.
All you need is bread, cheez whiz, beef and a heart full of violence

>> No.13220680

>>13220096
I despise anything with a strong vinegar base. For the steak I like to concentrate the need flavor. One beef cube and sauteed in tallow.