[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 146 KB, 680x1020, baked-buffalo-wings-11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13084965 No.13084965 [Reply] [Original]

I'm making wings but was hoping someone could give me a recommendation on how to give them an extra spicy kick.
I'm baking them and already doing Frank's Red Hot wing sauce because that's easy and I'm about to get drunk and smoke weed and won't feel like making the sauce from scratch.

>> No.13084971

>>13084965
shart on them

>> No.13084981
File: 823 KB, 765x988, 1570818633841.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13084971

>> No.13085009

>>13084965
>I'm making wings but was hoping someone could give me a recommendation on how to give them an extra spicy kick.

2 Kg (4 pounds) chicken wings cut into drumettes and flats
1 tablespoon aluminium free baking powder (NOT baking soda)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
Pinch of cracked pepper

1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce

Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminium foil and set a heat-proof wire rack inside.
Pat dry chicken wings liberally with paper towels, squeezing out as much moisture as you can. Transfer them to a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine the baking powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper together, whisking well to combine, and sprinkle the mixture over the wings. Toss wings through the baking powder mixture until evenly coated.
Arrange on rack, leaving about 1-inch of space between each wing.
Bake for 30 minutes; flip and continue to cook until crisp and golden brown, (about 20-30 minutes longer), until golden browned and crispy.
While wings are cooking, whisk together hot sauce, butter. add some cayenne if you think it's too mild

For crispier wings, follow steps 1-4. Then refrigerate wings uncovered overnight. This ensures they are thoroughly dried out.

>> No.13085086

>>13084965

cayenne, red pepper flakes, chop up a habanero

choice is yours

>> No.13085317

I would like to advise you against putting in small amounts of ghost pepper. They are more like a chemical that will destroy your mouth and less like a fun very spicy thing.

Just stick with some franks red hot.

>> No.13085393

i like to stick some sage, ground rosemary, and garlic powder on my wings before i start baking them. usually stick them in a bag with some oil then add the seasoning and make sure its mixed in well.

do those things go good on wings? it seems to turn out pretty good and still tastes good with Frank's.

>> No.13085401

This may not help you OP but I have some ghost pepper salt that I got from the farmer's market and it's great for this exact reason. Zero effort spicy salt.

>> No.13085406

>baking

Youre gonna have a bad time senpai.

>> No.13085416

>>13085406
baking wings is perfectly fine as long as you're not a retard

>> No.13085420

>>13085401
That does sound in line with what I'm looking for

>> No.13085431

Are you doing the Serious Eats Method? Those are the BEST way to bake wings, IMO, they get them the perfect crispyness.

For heat, you can either go the butter + hotsauce method for classic buffalo, but if you're doing Franks that is a really mild hot sauce. It's perfect for the buffalo flavor though! So to amp up the heat, perhaps you should try adding some other heat source, like a chili paste (sambal olek is pretty common in my house), a minced fresh chili, or even just some szechuan type chili oil (also another pantry staple)

It might change the taste a little, but not much, as franks is VERY vinegary and that + the butter is a pretty rich flavor.