[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 142 KB, 800x1000, Homemade-Sourdough-Bread-002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12992195 No.12992195 [Reply] [Original]

Okay, so I have an active and healthy starter. What now? I've looked at this recipe, but it has more steps than a Russian ballet https://www.acouplecooks.com/sourdough-bread-recipe-simplified-guide/

Is there any way to do it simpler? I'm not trying to win an award here.

>> No.12992206

Check foodwishes.

>> No.12992229

>>12992195
>Mix flour, starter, water, and salt at desired ratios
>Don't add too much starter to avoid overproofing
>Combine just enough to create dough ball
>Let sit in warm humid place 3hrs
>Stretech and fold a few times
>let sit for 1hr
>stretch and fold again
>let sit 1hr again
>Shape dough into rough loaf shapes (this is called preshape), this is where you would cut a large piece of dough into individual loaves
>Let sit 15-30mins on the counter
>Do final shape and place into shaping basket or whatever you're using for final shape
>allow to proof to desired size
>at this point, either bake it or put the shaping basket in the fridge to proof overnight for more interesting flavor

Sounds like a lot of steps but it's like 30min total work.

>> No.12992482

My sourdough bread recipe. Takes about 24 hours start to finish!
In a bowl, to 350g Bread flour add 50g starter and 400g water, warm if wished. Mix together, you will get a thickish batter. Cover and leave 12-13 hours undisturbed. It should have some bubbles on the surface. To this add 350g bread flour and 7-10g salt (depends on you) and about 100g water. Mix together making sure everything is mixed together. I do this in a mixing machine with a dough hook or with a large spatula in the bowl, I dont knead this. Grease a 3lb bread tin and shovel the dough in, levelling the top. Cover and leave for maybe 10 hours, the dough should double in size. then put into a hot oven 230c for ten minutes then turn the oven down to 180c (fan) and bake for an hour. turn out then cool, This will make a dense loaf that is quite moist. Due to the high hydration it needs to be baked in a tin. I usually start this1030 pm, then in the morning, 8am ish add the rest of the flour and then bake it that evening. I've developed this recipe though the method is not new, its how proper bread used to be made in days of yore. Always write down the recipe/method you used, just in case you find a method that works for you. good luck and enjoy.

>> No.12992494

If you want to do it more simply, do it poorly. Mark your failures and determine the necessity of specified steps through trial-and-error.

>> No.12993564
File: 947 KB, 1666x1250, 20190331_143215.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My starter is 100% hydration, 50% rye flour 50% water.

Mix 200g starter with 260g water.

take 450g bread flour, and mix in 12g salt.

Add the starter/water mixture to the flour/salt while mixing gently. result should be a clumpy dough. I give that 30 minutes to hydrate (just leave it in the bowl).

After 30 minutes, knead it a little to get a cohesive dough, and let it rest for an hour.

After an hour has passed, fold the edges of the dough onto itself, 3-4 folds. Wait an hour and do it again. do a total of 3 sets of folds, and stick it in the fridge overnight.

next day, I let the dough warm up, then pre-shape it. Let it rest another hour, and do the final shaping, toss it in a banneton uncovered, and into the fridge again overnight.

when it's time to bake, I take the dough out for an hour, then preheat a dutch oven at 450 for another hour.

Toss the dough in, score it, then bake with the lid on for 45 minutes.

>> No.12994150

>>12992195
https://youtu.be/2FVfJTGpXnU

>> No.12994822

I also need help. Had good results with my sourdough bread but had a couple of disasters with pizza dough.

What I've attempted to do with the last couple of doughs is make them like I was making a loaf. I did the stretch and fold method. and left them to proof for around 18 - 24 hours at room temperature. When I came to then shape the dough into a ball the dough just went to mush in my hands.

What has happened there? Is that just total over proofing? Or was it the lack of kneading? I was going to test again with proper amount of kneading next.

>> No.12995963

>>12994822
>18 - 24 hours at room temperature
I'm pretty sure this overproofs anything and everything but someone else around here knows better.

>> No.12996447

>>12995963

Yeah it seems so. I tried with with 00 flour and bread flour. Gonna do one last test after kneading then just rethink it.

But a couple of videos online I've seen people making perfect sourdough pizza and both say to proof upto 15 hours at room temp. They do both knead the dough though. I guess that length of time must be close to the limit. Pretty interested in anyone else who has experience of doing this. I've also done ones where i allow it to proof for about 4 hours and then stick it in the fridge for 2-3 days and while they're ok, I'm sure I can get better results.

>> No.12997013
File: 553 KB, 2048x1152, 20190925_180708.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12996447
I do a sourdough pizza. You can see by the pic really had some nice air pockets. I know I need to get my measurements by weight but I've just been tweeking it using volume.
>1.75 cups "00" flour
>.5 tsp kosher salt
>100% hydration starter just covering the bottom of the measuring cup
>little over 1 cup lukewarm well water
>couple tsp evoo
>mix until comes together
>place in bowl and do stretch and folds every 30 minutes for 3 hours
>leave at room temp for 3 hours
>shape into a ball, place into evoo coated bowl covered with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator for 48-72 hours
>preheat steel, iron or stone to highest oven setting (550F for me) for 1 hour (I use iron)
>spread on peel dusted with semolina, top and bake @ 12-15 minutes

>> No.12997257

I'm lazy and don't care about the artisan stuff. I just mix my starter into a bunch of water, dissolve the starter, then add enough AP flour to make a dough. Save a bit as my next starter. Add oil, salt, pepper/rosemary/etc. Let rise 5 hours on counter. Dump into oiled loaf pan, bake 360F for 1hr15min.

>> No.12997426

>>12997013

Nice. I think I've just gone from way to short a proof with starter to way too long. I'm still gonna do a test first to see what happens and then just start messing with the time.

>> No.12997483
File: 1.12 MB, 2576x1932, 20180304_183906.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12997426
Yeah, pretty much you just have to do trial and error even on dough because there are a lot of variables like humidity and the temperature. This pic was similar to the previous recipe I posted but came out quite different, much thinner w/o as many air pockets. Still good, but just different. Enjoy the trip, that's the entire point.