Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 43 KB, 900x450, decaf-coffee-good-bad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12753656 No.12753656 [Reply] [Original]

I have deduced that decaf is almost certainly the cause of my recent headaches. Because I removed decaf and the headaches went away, and now I just had some and within 5 minutes it came back.

>> No.12753660

no I don't think so
decaf is fine

>> No.12753669

>>12753660
I read so many articles how decaf is so processed but apparently, somehow, it is still fine. I am very very suspicious. I keep having it because I'm addicted to the coffee taste, but in this situation the side effects are much worse than the taste is pleasurable.

>> No.12753678

>>12753669
read less articles, take more aspirin
decaf is fine

>> No.12753689

>>12753656
It takes longer than 5 minutes to really absorb anything, even from a liquid on an empty stomach. Not saying it isn't possible though, some people say the caffeine is what makes some people poop after drinking coffee but I've had really bad diarrhea after drinking decaf. Try a different brand, maybe.

>> No.12753813

>>12753656
maybe you need the caffine and the lack of it is giving you headaches????

>> No.12753832

>>12753656
>The general decaffeination processes includes soaking the still green coffee beans in hot water (160-210 degrees Fahrenheit) and then some sort of solvent or activated carbon is used to extract/dissolve the caffeine. The solvents typically used are methylene chloride or ethyl acetate. Unfortunately with this process, the first batch of beans loses most of its flavor to the water and is often thrown out. However, once the dissolving liquid is saturated from the first batch, the subsequent batches retain much of their flavor. In some methods, the coffee beans from the first batch will be re-soaked in the water solution to reabsorb some of the flavor compounds, minus the dissolved caffeine, so that they can eventually be used for making decaffeinated coffee.

>Another method is where the beans are steamed for half an hour, rather than immersed in water, and then rinsed with solvents – ethyl acetate or methylene chloride to extract and dissolve the caffeine from the beans. Ethyl acetate is an ester that is found naturally in fruits and vegetables such as bananas, apples, and coffee. The solvent is first circulated through a bed of moist green coffee beans and then recaptured in an evaporator while the beans are washed with water. After the chemicals are drained, the beans are steamed again. Usually the solvent is added to the vessel, circulated and emptied several times until the coffee has been decaffeinated to the desired level. The coffee is said to be ‘naturally decaffeinated’ when ethyl acetate derived from fruit or vegetables is used.

idk about you but the process sounds like a chemical nightmare

>> No.12754306

>>12753832
chemistry man here
ethyl acetate is perfectly safe and gives pears their flavour
methylene chloride is fairly dangerous non-microscopic amounts

both solvents are extremely volatile, meaning the evaporate very readily. this is how they are removed from the coffee; anything they dissolved is left behind as a powder which is separated from the beans.

>> No.12754355
File: 27 KB, 456x810, 1562522153757.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>12753656
>I tired caffeinated and the headaches went away. What's different?

>> No.12754358
File: 26 KB, 713x611, 1558211542788.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>12753832
>The coffee is said to be ‘naturally decaffeinated’ when ethyl acetate derived from fruit or vegetables is used.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action