[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 873 KB, 522x844, 13fee7ae3ba7373b734cd5a25404bb38.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12750266 No.12750266 [Reply] [Original]

im broke as fuck right now

what else is black-beans-and-rice level cheap? even when i get my finances in order im gonna just fuck around and eat like that for as long as i can because i dont see any good reason for my food cost to be more than a forethought as a poor person.

egg fried rice is about the only other thing i can think of at the moment.

>> No.12750281

Potatoes

>> No.12750286

>>12750281
good point anon, potatoes are the rice of northern europe. ive only ever had them as a side though i wonder what kind of dishes i could make with it where theyre a base in the same sense rice usually is

>> No.12750302

>>12750266
if you need extra nutrients, try perishable foods at discount in the bargain basement bins that are past their best before dates.
ugly fruits and vegetables are sometimes also discounted.

>> No.12750304

>>12750266
> rice and beans
>fry an egg and put it on top
you'll be thanking me later

>> No.12750308

>>12750304
> also putting veggies on top is optional but saute them and that will be good too

>> No.12750315

>>12750304
huevos rancheros basically. too bad tortillas are expensive as FUCK for no reason and im not an abuelita so i dont just have tortilla ingredients layin around

>>12750308
nowadays i dont think produce is considered poor mans food, atleast not in america. my walmart sells bell peppers for 1$ a piece, same with onions. rice, potatoes and beans are about the only thing that somewhat still resemble their prices back in say the depression era

>> No.12750320

Beans and cornbread. I also do a variation with hushpuppies. Good sides are just a slice of red onion and some green tomato relish. Great poverty food.

>> No.12750354

>>12750266
Cook your white rice with some sauteed garlic, add salt. Eat with fried egg. Or eat the fried egg on white bread. You can also cook the rice with your favorite seasoning mix or even the mix that comes in instant ramen as well.

>> No.12750404

most of my meals are:
chicken, rice and pinto beans
chicken and rice
rice and pinto beans
chicken, steamed vegetables and rice
sausages and potatoes (steam both then fry the sausages for color)
pinto beans and skillet cornbread (10" is perfect diameter)
sausages, eggs, and hashbrowns (skillet is once again perfect size for these)
huevos rancheros
steak (thinly sliced rib eye) and eggs

i like to either find a very tiny chicken (like 2-3 lbs.) and coat it with seasoning and roast it in the skillet, or buy breasts (sue me) and slice them thin and sear them quickly on both sides in a thin layer of olive oil. for seasoning, i like the lawry's pollo asado seasoning (sue me). i also like to use chicken bouillon cubes and sazon goya for the rice and beans. not shy to buy jars of salsa, cans of tomatoes, enchilada sauce, etc. great meal helpers. most meals are served with fresh tomatoes, onion, lime, peppers, cilantro, etc.

my kitchen is a rice cooker, 4 qt. pot with steamer basket, 10" cast iron skillet, small plastic cutting board, chef knife, two plastic containers for dried rice and beans, wood spoon, and kitchen brush

steamer basket doubles as a colander
pot doubles as a mixing bowl and for soaking beans overnight
skillet is just barely large enough to do a roast chicken so it doubles as a roasting pan in addition to searing meats

everything could fit into a box

>> No.12750501

>>12750404
i ss'd your post as a list of meals, thanks for such a solid reply.

>> No.12750702

Third world er here.

Start with your nutritional requirements, then identify the cheapest source of each.

Then factor what you can store.

If you don't you run the serious risk of malnutrition.

Flour is often the cheapest carb, if you don't have time for bread there a many many flatbread or tortilla
Rice may be cheaper, just steam it.
in either case your diet will have no FIBER, for third worlders vegetables are cheap- for you not.
you may even have to buy fiber suppliments.
If you can get beans then always get beans, more iron and fiber among other benefits.
All three are purchasable in 20kg bags

Eggs for protein, or tofu.
eggs can be bought by the hundred because they store for months

>> No.12750730

>>12750702
Meat bones boil easily into a nutrituis soup, beans and left over vegetables can all be added

Chicken liver makes pate, liver and kidney can be fried but if you make a paste it can go in curries.

Pickles allow you to store greens for months, Chinese are best at this, Burmese are OK

No cheese, it's expensive and bad for you. Beware sauces because mostle you pay for sugar and salt.

Whole spice is more powerful than powders and stores much better

>> No.12750732

>>12750266
Hash is God-tier to make when you have some leftovers. Crack an egg on top or add some heavy cream and a spoon of mushroom soy to make it a bit more interesting

>> No.12750746

>>12750702
right now im looking at rice, dry black beans, eggs and maybe potatoes until next friday. i feel like i could spend the 3$ on potatoes better because 5lb is the smallest bag and i think thats overkill plus i dont think i need another 5 lbs of starch on top of 5 lb of rice

10$ from today until next friday and unfortunately im a fat fuck and a line cook so my work is phyisically demanding and i need to be on point, not low blood sugar and distracted by starving. ill be trying to snack as much as i can on the line but im new and the owner is always there so i dont want to be seen as a burden.

theres a mexican grocery store down the road, do you think 10$ would get me farther there than walmart, especially considering im looking at rice and beans?

>> No.12750844

>>12750746
Not American, wouldn't know but I'll say yes. I use Chinese or Indian stores for bulk carbs

But beans triple in weight when rehydrated, the hardest men I know live in the mountains on only dried beans they rehydrate with rain water or urine, condensed fat or goat cheese and salt.

Just buy beans, flour for flat breads.
you can take bouritoes to work-easy.
Scrounge salt and pepper, get an onion and add it raw.

For two days carbs are all you need, beans and flatbread or beans and rice will sort you out

>> No.12750866

>>12750746
hard to say on the rice and beans. most mexican stores will have better deals, but to be extra safe you should shop and compare. i certainly wouldn't just leave it to chance if you have to maximize your last dollars

you can get a 10 lb. bag of rice at walmart for $5. 50 cents a pound at walmart is better than kroger which is nearer to 1 dollar a pound. you can put in your zip code and find their (both walmart and kroger) in-store prices. write it down on paper and then go to the mexican store. best deal i ever saw on rice was at sam's club for 17 cents a pound. i bought a 50 lb. bag, threw in a small scooper, and that bad mother lasted me a few years.

you definitely should stick to a single starch. that's a huge mistake poor people make. they grab some potatoes for their breakfasts, a loaf of bread for lunch sandwiches, and some pasta for dinner. yeah, variety is nice, but rice can be porridge, steamed, fried, risotto, etc. it can even be used as stuffing for stuffed cabbages, and "porcupine" meatballs. and of course the japanese make alcohol out of it and i'm sure hundreds of other stuff. rice won't go bad like potatoes and bread. it can turn rancid if stored improperly, but the potatoes and bread MUST be frozen in the near future.

>> No.12750871

Here in my 3rd world country lentils are a staple for all poor people. They usually cook it into soups or with pasta but I'd rather have them as a "salad". All other beans should be cheap wherever you are, just be creative with them. Maybe try lentil or chickpeas burgers.
If plantains are cheap there you can make all sorts of things with them.
I don't like them but sardines are also poor people food here.
Other things I can think of are sausages with potatoes, pasta with mayo and canned tuna.

>> No.12750918

>>12750266
Potatoes, pasta, and eggs

>> No.12750958

>>12750266
Instant ramen noodles, eggs, potato, 1 block of cheese, 1 chicken or 1 sausage pk, 1/2 gallon of milk, small oats, tomato sauce, butter, a pk of egg noodle pasta, some canned tuna, 1 bag of spinach, 3 oranges, 1 pkg frozen peas, some canned cream soups, some raisin packs, a small peanut butter, tortilla, saltine crackers, and 1 Hershey bar

>> No.12751364

>>12750266
Depends where you live. Offal and certain pork cuts.

>> No.12751398

op here, spent 9.97 and got
5lb long white rice
16 shitty chicken pork etc. hotdogs
12 pack maruchan ramen
1lb spaghetti
36 eggs

should last me until the 16th as i was hoping, but its gonna suck ass. only saving grace is that i had some frozen broccoli and a decent array of fats and seasonings here, stick of butter, some rendered bacon fat i saved, and extra virgin olive oil. i think this will force me to quit spending with reckless abandon and at minimum lock down my food expense to a budget. fuck i hate being a disciplinelet

>> No.12751479

>>12751398
wtf are you doing nigger

maybe the ramen i can understand (hey, free stock flavoring), but the spaghetti and hot dogs???

you can get three cabbage heads for a dollar. that could have went well with the ramen. it can also be stir fried and eaten with the rice. boiled and served with beans. maybe even a coleslaw if you can find some vinegar (a dollar for a huge jug) and you're willing to beat up some of the oil and eggs you said you have to make mayonnaise.

god i am so fucking disappointed

>> No.12751493

>"lmao wagecucks"
>"but plz help me live on $10"
NEETs are pathetic.

>> No.12751549

>>12751493
>lmao NEETs
>has to work to eat
sit down, wagie. Be humble

>> No.12751591

>>12751549
try again, you cringey fuck

>> No.12751636

Here's my recipe I call it chili for bastards

1 can crushed tomatos
As many kinds of beans as u want (these are also in a can)
Can of corn
Taco seasoning
Dump it all in a pot and boil it
Put cheese on it
Sort of tasty, very easy + cheap

Pasta + tomato sauce is really really cheap too and you can spice it up with any meat and vegetables you have lying around if you have any

>> No.12751656

>>12750266
Rice, beans, kale, collard greens, check grocery stores and farm stands for cheap veggies that are too "ugly" to sell at market & some multivitamins is really all you need to survive, maybe some peanut butter for calories

>> No.12751804

>>12750286
Jacket potatoes

>> No.12752992

>>12751493
>>12751549
im 22, if you arent a wage slave at 22 then youre a privileged bitch and fuck you

>> No.12753000

>>12751479
my only meat protein source was eggs bro i needed something else

>> No.12753038

>>12751804
>Jacket potatoes
where do they call loaded baked potatoes 'jacket potatoes?'

good taste though anon top tier side

>> No.12753132

>>12750266
Bake your own bread, potatoes, frozen peas, corn, broccoli, pastas, eggs, rice, beans, chicken if you can swing it, non perishables like jams, canned foods, peanut butter, soup cans. Onions, chicken broth. Learn some soups, soup can feed you a long way and you can make in large batches and freeze portions of them.

>> No.12753143

>>12750266
raid the dollar store
kraft mac n cheese+canned tuna you can get the multipacks for hella cheap
eggs+summer sausage was like $3 today
10 lb bag of frozen chicken breasts were $10 last time I was at walmart and a 5 lb bag of potatoes was $5

>> No.12753385

Get a bag of frozen stir fry veggies, frozen breaded chicken patties, and rice. Get eggs. Get a bag of flour tortillas, Bob's Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix. Seasonings and sauces you can afford; salt, black pepper, cayenne, chicken soup base powder, a Mexican seasoning mix, italian, poultry seasoning, Chinese five spice, etc. You can make breakfast burritos, rice and veggies, veggie soup with extra veggies (add a tablespoon of rice in at the start for a change).

Now add to your pantry: canola oil, canned beans, canned mixed vegetables, canned pesto, dry pasta, and vinegar (red wine or Apple cider vinegar if you can).

Now you can also make rice and beans, egg fried rice with canned veggies (or stir fry veggies), and something like basil pesto penne with vegetables. Put a tablespoon of vinegar in with some salt and pepper to the canned veggies you drained and then microwaved to punch up a simple side dish.

I buy a bag of powdered milk and make enough for what I'm going to use for recipes the night before so it chills in the refrigerator. It's good for mac and cheese mixes, instant puddings (add a serving of protein powder), and baking. Put things like hamburger buns in the freezer and thaw As you need them.

Get a supplemental vitamin to take. NoSalt is a great seasoning to help you get potassium and cut down on table salt. Protein powder helps, you're probably going to be vitamin D, calcium, and potassium deficient without help.

As long as you shop smartly, buy in bulk for fewer ingredients, and stay vigilant looking for deals, you'll be able to add things like some instant mashed potatoes packets, pork and beans, rice a roni boxes, and different canned veggies to changeup your basic pasta/rice recipes and you can start buying one-off things on sale knowing you've got the rest of the recipe idea at home in the pantry.

Good luck.

>> No.12754090

>>12750315
>tortillas are expensive
>i dont just have tortilla ingredients
80 corn tortillas @ $2.49
5 lb masa $3
are you some homeless libraryposter? get a JOB nigger

>> No.12754107

>>12750266
>egg
>potato
>rice
>dried milk powder
>oats
>weetbix/wheetabix if you're in australia/uk maybe canada?
>cornflakes & rice bubbles
>bread
>minced beef
>chicken wings/drumstick
>peanut butter
>margarine
>pasta
>canola or sunflower oil
>tortillas
>salt
>pepper
>smoked paprika
>chickpeas

>> No.12754111

>>12750266
Sardines and crackers.

>> No.12754123

>>12750266

Make sure you consider pasta. Also you can make stuff from livers if you can buy some at the shop. Chicken liver can be made into a nice pate.

>> No.12754152

>>12750266
Simple soy sauce mixed with steamed rice. Optionally egg or a bit vegetable, or salted fish, or chinese meat patty

>> No.12754700

>>12750266
Biscuits and gravy

>> No.12754734

>>12750315
>i dont just have tortilla ingredients layin around
???
It's just potatoes, eggs and onions anon.