[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 59 KB, 680x680, really activates the almonds.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12667143 No.12667143 [Reply] [Original]

>cooking show where professional chef visits someone else's resaurant
>they guess what the "secret" ingredient is without fail
How do I develop sophisticated enough taste buds to be able to tell everything I'm actually eating in complex meals?

>> No.12667164

>>12667143
I've been saying it for probably half a decade, but unironically spend a few years in a professional kitchen. It's all repetition, and tasting, and trying different things and different techniques multiple times a day... And the people without taste get weeded out quickly when they taste a thing and can't articulate a solid assessment. Like anything else, a few people are born with taste, but most people need to develop it.

>> No.12669492

oh no you dont nigger

>> No.12669528

>>12667143
>How do I develop sophisticated enough taste buds to be able to tell everything I'm actually eating in complex meals?
Simply cook more new things. It'll come with time. I don't know the show you're talking about, but some of it might be guesswork. There are little known, but known secret additions to particular recipes. So, it may not be so unusual that someone can detect mustard powder, cayenne, white pepper, worchestershire in a mac n cheese. Anchovy in the tomato sauce. Using mayo to grill cheese or to bind bread crumbs.