[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 266 KB, 800x1200, fullsizeoutput_15a7c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12648577 No.12648577 [Reply] [Original]

How do I cook bacon without my whole apartment smelling like grease for a day

>> No.12648581

Lower the heat so you don't get grease splattering everywhere

>> No.12648586

>>12648577
you dont

>> No.12648588

Open the window?

>> No.12648606

What about putting it in the oven instead of on the stove? Anyone tried that

>> No.12648629

>>12648606
i only do it this way. keeps the grease contained and i can just put it in and go do something else for 20 mins without having to make sure there isn't a grease fire

>> No.12648680

Do you have a balcony or a garden? I have a portable induction top and I cook the smelliest and grease-spatteriest stuff on a terrace in front of my dining room.

>> No.12648705

I usually put it into the oven. I'm too lazy to clean up after sautéing it.

>> No.12648715

Imagine living in a McDuplex without a proper range hood vent to the point where some anon is literally frying up bacon on his balcony.

>USA isn't a 3rd world country

>> No.12648760

Mmmm bacon threads

>> No.12648775

>>12648577
Fry bacon again.

>> No.12648779

>>12648577
Either bake it in the oven or use a splatter guard and clean up after yourself instead of being a disgusting pig.

>> No.12648793

enjoy the beautiful smeell of a bacon hmm

>> No.12648827

>>12648577
>How do I cook bacon without my whole apartment smelling like grease for a day
Your apartment might be utter crap for ventilation, and nothing will really fix that except to open a window while cooking, and cook on a lower heat with less splatter and driven off food particles.

Cook it in the microwave, on paper towels, and don't be cheap about using the minimum or it'll spatter grease on all sides inside the microwave and require extensive cleanup. I'd say for 5 pieces of thick cut bacon, you're going to use 4 layers under the bacon, and 6 layers above it. It need to catch all of the oil. You can add a second layer of bacon on top of the first layer separated by 3 or so paper towels, if needed. The paper towels go into the trash, and the trash is removed from the apartment and taken outside before you leave for the day.
If you cook it on the stove, use a higher sided pan or pot to keep splatters down, and turn down the heat to medium. You have to deal with hot oil before it cools to get rid of it into a sealed container or into the trash, or else park your pan in the oven to deal with later when congealed and cool. Ovens are surprisingly airtight when items are cooling. Clean all countertop and range surfaces, clean any dishes that touched bacon as well. Clean the pan by wiping out the grease into the garbage or a container with papertowels (I like to pour it onto newspapers or brown paper grocery bags on top of the trash, ie right into the trash and just be done with it immediately).
Try making bacon in batches the night before and keeping it in a ziploc if that gives you time to clean up when you're not in a rush. And, just crumbling it into hot foods like an omelet or quiche, and having that warmed instead of making it to order all the time. I often make bacon ahead if I'm packing a BLT for lunch.
Try switching brands of bacon. There's a lot of watery filler added to many brands, and maybe excessive fake smoke.

>> No.12648833

best answer wow

>> No.12648838

Turn on the fan over your oven to suck out all the steam and smoke as you cook it. Open all windows and doors and turn a few ceiling or standing fans on to help circulate the air for about an hour after you're done.

>> No.12648844

Enjoy heart disease fat fuck

>> No.12648896

>>12648827
>>12648838
My oven doesn't have a chimney and I imagine quite a lot of apartments' don't.