[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 48 KB, 640x640, 1537141281500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12475004 No.12475004 [Reply] [Original]

Since there are a lot of Americans here, I'd like to ask your favourite recipe for burritos.

I've been going with the standard ground beef, corn, tomato, jalapeno, rice etc. as my filling, but I'd like to hear what you do.

>> No.12475027

>the standard
Who the fuck puts corn in their burrito? Get some thin cheap steak, season it, cook and slice. Make spanish rice. Make or buy refried beans. Make pico. Make or buy guac. Get sour cream. Layer and roll burrito. Put salsa on as you eat.

>> No.12475036

my roommate and I make a burrito feast and invite our friends over every few weeks, and we typically get together:

spanish rice (from a box)
refried beans (from a can)
flour and corn tortillas, heated on the stove
flank steak fajitas
sour cream
fresh guacamole
fresh pico de gallo
queso fresco
various hot sauces

>> No.12475052

>>12475004
Try cilantro lime rice by adding lime juice and fresh cilantro.
I also recommend minced roasted garlic. I just like sprinkling a little on my burritos to give it some interesting flavor.
I also recommend roasting the corn and maybe mix it with your jalapeno (add lime, salt. and cilantro) to make a "roasted corn salsa".

>> No.12475096

>>12475052
I didn't think about lime.

>>12475036
Isn't "spanish rice" just rice with chicken broth?

>> No.12475147

>>12475096
No. It includes onion and tomato.

>> No.12475151

>>12475004
Black bean
Rice
Lettuce
Flour tortilla
Avocado
Green salsa

>> No.12475226

>>12475027
Corn in a burrito is fucking good dude.

>> No.12475243

>>12475004
Get either a chuck roast or a pork shoulder, and cut into chunks.
Then, in a food processor (or you can just finely mince everything by hand), mix fresh chile, onion, garlic, a tomato, chili powder, a little cumin, salt, pepper, lime juice, and some oil until it's pretty much a paste.
Mix that paste with your cubed meat, and let it marinate overnight.
The next day, add some oil to a pot and heat it up. Add the meat, and cook, stirring to brown on all sides. Don't use too high of a heat, because you don't want the seasoning paste to get a burnt taste.
Then, add a can/bottle of beer, and a couple cans of either red or green enchilada sauce (if you can't get enchilada sauce, you'll have to make your own. I can give you a recipe if you need it, or I'm sure you can look it up). You want the meat to be just barely covered.
Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and let it simmer on low heat for a good 3 hours or so, maybe longer. You want the meat to be super tender and the sauce to be thick and coating the meat like a tasty blanket.
Use that as your meat filling. It should give you enough meat for a few days worth of burritos, or you can freeze it for later, too.
I don't know if you can get mexican cheeses where you live, but if you can, asadero or oaxacan cheese is delicious in burritos.
Pico de gallo (aka salsa fresca) is another one of my necessary ingredients. It's just diced tomatoes, onion, and chiles (I use serrano) mixed with salt and lime juice.
I like my burritos with no rice, but that's just my preference. I actually prefer potatoes to rice. I make some spicy pan fried potatoes and add those. The only burrito I like rice in is a Chile Relleno burrito, but I only make those a few times a year.
So, my burrito would be meat, cheese, pico de gallo, and potatoes. Plus, I'd keep some salsa verde and sour cream on the side in case I feel like a little dippity doo.

>> No.12475268

>>12475243
Thanks for this.

>> No.12475290

>>12475268
You're welcome, happy cooking!

>> No.12475295

>>12475004
Bean burritos are my favorite. Cook beans seasoned with salt, cumin, oregano, and garlic. Put in a tortilla with cheddar, sour cream, raw onion, and lettuce. Add hot sauce or pickled jalapeno if you want it spicy.