[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 119 KB, 808x454, iStock-589415708-808x454.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12131349 No.12131349 [Reply] [Original]

Share vegetarian recipes

Discuss interesting meatless dishes

Go be a sperg somewhere else

>> No.12131522

tahini sauce with cumin and seasoning
kale
spinach
falafel
whole wheat pita

>> No.12131558

I love this asian grandmas spicy tofu shit. So good with rice and some bokchoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob2CYmTx9PM

>> No.12131586

>>12131558
That looks delicious

>> No.12131619

>>12131586
yas

>> No.12131650

>>12131349
>vegetarian
>Go be a sperg somewhere else
what did he mean by this?

>> No.12132091
File: 244 KB, 700x525, 1553654226506.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12131650

>> No.12132118

thought this sounded alright, I'd add the cilantro after though:

Taco Lentils

Boil lentils until tender with 1-2 bay leaves, salt, and minced garlic. Put the lentils in a deep frying pan. (Remove bay leaves now.) Chop onion and cilantro to your liking. Add the onion, cilantro, and one packet of taco seasoning. If it's too dry, add a splash of water or broth. Mix and cook until onions are tender.

>> No.12132127

Steamed Vegetable Dumplings
1 ½ C. Coleslaw Mix (or equivalent amount of finely shredded cabbage & carrots)
½ C. Chopped Bean Sprouts
4 Scallions, Chopped (light green and white parts only)
2 T. Soy Sauce
1 T. Sesame Oil
½ T. Grated Fresh Ginger
15 Round Dumpling Wrappers

In a medium bowl, stir together the coleslaw, bean sprouts, scallions, soy sauce, and ginger. Heat a 10 inch skillet over medium. When it's hot, add the coleslaw mixture. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Uncover, stir and let cook for another 2-3 minutes, until most of the liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of filling per wrapper. Moister the edges with water before sealing with your fingers. Put on a plate. Repeat until all the dumplings are finished. Heat 1 inch of water in a large pot with a steamer insert. When it's boiling, spray the insert with cooking spray and carefully add the dumplings in a single layer without any touching. Cover, and steam 5-7 minutes, or until cooked.

I'm more of a crispy bottom dude, so I'd probably crisp them in some oil for a few minutes before adding water and steaming until done.

>> No.12132130

Spicy Sriracha Chex Mix
6 C. Chex Cereal (author used half wheat and half corn)
1 ½ C. Cheez-Its
1 ½ C. Pretzels
1 C. Peanuts
4 T. Unsalted Butter
¼ C. Sriracha
2 T. Soy Sauce
1 t. Grated Ginger
1 t. Grated Garlic

Preheat your oven to 250. Mix the Chex, Cheez-Its, pretzels, and peanuts in a large bowl. In a small, microwave safe bowl, combine the butter, sriracha, soy sauce, butter, ginger, and garlic. Microwave in 15 second intervals until the butter is melted. Stir to combine. Pour over the Chex mixture, stirring to combine. Spread the mixture evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes, until the mixture is crunchy and golden. Let cool, keep stored in an airtight container.

Made this once, it was pretty good. Definitely on the "old lady" side of spicy though.

>> No.12132144

>>12131349
these two recipes are both really good and vegetarian:

https://theliveinkitchen.com/spinach-stuffed-portobello-mushrooms/

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9191/pumpkin-soup/

for the mushrooms though i'd say i added like 1/2 teaspoon basil and rosemary each and it improved the flavor quite a bit or toss in some italian seasoning to taste

>> No.12132155

Miso and Soba Noodle Soup with Roasted Sriracha Tofu and Shiitake Mushrooms 1/2

Broth:
2 inches Ginger Root, Peeled and Sliced into Coins
4-6 (4 inch square) Sheets Kombu
6 Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
8 C. Water
½ C. Sweet White or Yellow Miso
2 T. Tamari (use depends on the saltiness of the miso)
Juice of 1 Lime or Lemon, to Taste

Fixings:
8 oz. Firm or Extra-Firm Tofu, Cut in ½ inch Cubes
8-12 oz. Shiitake Mushrooms, Ends Trimmed and Sliced
3 T. Toasted Sesame Oil (divided)
3 T. Tamari (divided)
1-2 t. Sriracha (depending on how spicy you like it)
12-16 oz. Soba Noodles (depending on how noodley you like it)
1 Bunch Kale, Washed, Stemmed and Chopped
A Handful of Scallions, Washed, Trimmed, and Sliced
Toasted Sesame Seeds

>> No.12132159

>>12132155
2/2

In a large, heat-proof bowl or pot, combine the ginger, kombu, dried mushrooms, and boiling water. Let this steep while you prepare the other ingredients, for about 20-30 minutes. Carefully strain the stock, leaving behind any sand in the bottom of the pan (or, pour through a coffee filter). Add half a cup of stock to the miso paste and stir it to loosen. Add the miso to the stock and taste. Adding tamari and lime juice until you like the flavor. While the stock is cooking, place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat it to 400. Place the tofu cubes on a smallish, rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 1 Tablespoon each of sesame oil and tamari. Add the Sriracha and toss to coat. Roast in the oven until hot and lightly crisp on the outside (about 10 minutes), tossing once or twice. Meanwhile, place the shiitakes on a smallish, rimmed baking sheet and toss with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of sesame oil and tamari. Roast until tender and reduced in size (about 10 minutes), tossing once or twice. Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, until the noodles are tender but not falling apart. Drain the noodles (rinse with cool water if not using right away). Divide between four large bowls. To serve the soup, rewarm the stock until steamy, but not simmering. Add the kale and cook at just below a simmer until wilted and bright green. Add the shiitakes, tofu, and scallions to the bowls. Pour hot broth over and serve.

I'm more of a spinach man, probably better to marinade the tofu as well.

>> No.12132164

>>12131349
op, are we gonna get to see this wiki?

>> No.12132175

Southwest Black Bean and Corn Salad
2 – 15 oz. Cans Black Beans, Well Drained
1 ½ C. Corn Kernels
1 Bell Pepper, Diced
1 Avocado, Diced
3 Tomatoes, Chopped
½ Medium Onion, Diced
1/3 C. Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
1/3 C. Lime Juice
1/3 C. Oil
½ t. Salt (or to taste)
1/8 t. Cayenne Pepper (or add a diced jalapeno)

In a large mixing bowl, combine the black beans, corn, bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro and gently toss. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oil, salt, and cayenne. Pour it into the bean mixture, and toss to combine. Gently fold in the avocado. If you have extra time, this recipe is better if refrigerated for a few hours so the flavors can mix.

>> No.12132177

I’m literally cooking one right now for meal prep. It’s incredible.

>7-8 sweet potatoes
>~100oz black beans
>1 yellow onion
>2 bunches of cilantro
>lime juice
>36 tortillas

Dice the sweet potatoes. Toss in olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Stick in oven at 400F until soft.

While that’s going on, heat up your black beans. IMO Goya are the best. Dice your onion, and caramelize in 3-4 tbsp butter.

Strain black beans from juice. Once finished baking, combine sweet taters, black beans, onion, chopped cilantro, and lime juice to taste. Stick in a bunch of meal prep boxes with 2-3 tortillas each for 3 vegetarian tacos for lunch.

This size will make 12 meals. I am cooking for 2, so it will be gone in 6 days. If you are cooking for one half the recipe or the food might start to spoil.

>> No.12132188

>>12132177
this sounds perfect apart from the fact that I hate sweet potatoes. feels bad man.

>> No.12132313

>>12132188
Give it a shot anon. They take on a much more savory flavor in this dish than sweet. It’s cheap as fuck to make, low calorie, and doesn’t take very long either.

>> No.12132604

bumpity

>> No.12132761

>>12131522
sounds nice. do you deep fry the falafel or are you pan/shallow frying it?

>> No.12133117
File: 393 KB, 2342x706, zslyhkcd9wa01(2).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.12133174
File: 15 KB, 191x263, Veg_Race.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12131349
Hail Hitler !

>> No.12134877

>>12132127
>Round Dumpling Wrappers
Those are not available where I live, is there a reliable recipe for making these at home?

>> No.12134941

My wife is pretty unhealthy, she has the food restrictions of a child. She will not eat several widely eaten veggies simply due to texture or other random things. She wants to try eating vegetarian foods to try and be healthier, but she wants to eat something that tastes good, could anyone give us some ideas?

The vegetables she refuses to eat are tomatoes, cuccumbers, onions, pickled veggies in general.

She does like eating cabbage and lettuce, but only raw (dont ask me, I dont get it either), carrots, potatoes and garlic.

I know this seems weird, but im really desperate to help her fix her diet, she mostly consumes bread and butter, soda, candies and cookies during the day between lunch and dinner, and mostly eats rice with beans at lunch and supper. Ocassionally she eats meat because it is one of the only things she finds pallatable enough to consume, but she does want to quit it because she feels sorry for the animals. But to be honest, im afraid that cutting meat from her diet will cause her to develop anemia since her current carb based diet offers little to no actual nutritional value.

If anyone cares to help, please give us some suggestions, anything that can help me put some vegetable proteins into her diet to prevent malnutrition. Some veggie burguers ideas would be wonderfull.

>> No.12134988

>>12134941
Bean burgers

Beans, herbs, spices, breadcrumbs, egg, grated carrot, onion, garlic

Squish into patties and shallow fry

>> No.12135002

>>12134988
Any specific bean?

>> No.12136139

>>12134941
bok choy has a nice crunch, can be lightly stir fried. snow pea greens are hard to find but fun to eat sauteed chinese style. mizuna, any japanese veggie is good even raw. maybe she is just sick of the usual stuff.

>> No.12136198

>>12134941
>soda, candies and cookies

Divorce her. You don’t want to raise her son with this kind of diet.

>> No.12136259

>>12134877
if you can get square ones instead, I'd do that. they're kind of a pain to make.

this one seemed pretty straightforward tho:
https://www.aline-made.com/homemade-gyoza-wrappers/

>> No.12136325

>pan with olive oil medium heat
>slice yellow onion into half rings
>slice 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper into strips
>blanch and peel 4 tomatoes then dice them
>dice 1 yellow squash
>add to pan and cook until onion is translucent
>deglaze with a sweet white wine (I like Gewurztraminer)
>add salt, black pepper, oregano, basil, and 4-5 large cloves minced garlic
>let it cook until liquid reduces a bit
>boil fettuccine until it is about 3/4 of the way to al dente
>add some pasta water to pan
>add pasta to pan to finish cooking
>serve in a nest with homemade bread and the rest of the wine
>????
>profit

If you do dairy, some butter on the bread is a nice touch and you can sprinkle a bit of Parmesan on the pasta. When cooking, I like to leave a bit of liquid and not reduce it all the way. Just my preference. I've done this with red wine too and it's also kind of good and adds some interesting color.

>> No.12136368

>>12134941
I am pretty similar to your wife, and only like to eat things that taste good. I would highly recommend textured vegetable protein otherwise known as TVP. The most common type has a texture very similar to ground meat and a neutral taste that absorbs the flavor of whatever you cook it with. It is also a complete protein source! You basically just have to rehydrate it in vegetable broth or even just water and then cook it like you would a meat.

>> No.12136474
File: 221 KB, 549x413, harold thumbs up.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12136325
nice

>> No.12136475

Miso paste is the shit

>> No.12137366

bumpity

>> No.12138839
File: 234 KB, 1153x768, Tartare Served.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My favo vegetarian meal definitely beef tartare' (it's still vegan if you only eat a modest amount)

>> No.12139045

>cook whole wheat bowtie pasta halfway done

>cover it in kraft mac n cheese powder packet (buy them off amazon)

>throw in the air fryer for a few minutes

>homemade healthy cheez-its

You can also do tomato powder + italian seasoning for a "pizza" cheez-it.

more air fryer shenanigans:

>throw cherry tomatoes in at 250 degrees for a half hour
>now have cheap ass sundried tomatoes
such an amazing flavor. throw them on anything

>toss chickpeas in tajin seasoning and fry them til crispy
use aquafaba (the chickpea juice) instead of oil

>> No.12139743

>>12131349
Hey, any tips on making sausage-like seitan? The only cookbook I have with seitan recipes calls for boiling it in a relatively huge pot of broth and the result is never quite the texture I want. I was thinking of baking or broiling it, if anyone knows a good time and temperature combination.

>> No.12139924

>>12139743
Not necessarily seitan but this sausage making site has an interesting discussion about making vegan/vegetarian sausages.

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-types/vegetarian

They have a lot of vegetarian/vegan sausage recipes and I've tried the Hunters and have to admit even as a carnist, it was quite good. Scroll down to the bottom for the veg sausages.

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes

>> No.12139998

>>12139924
Wow, some of these are pretty wild, I'll have a browse--thanks