[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 24 KB, 559x484, 1488390615586.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11858314 No.11858314 [Reply] [Original]

Been wanting to dive into Greek food but I dont really know where to start other than basic stuff like tzatziki and gyros. Anyone got any good Greek dishes or recipes to pass along?

>> No.11858652
File: 94 KB, 960x578, trapezi-sarakostiana.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are you looking for anon?
Greek food is a lot about fresh local ingredients and regional herbs
Many dishes also tend to be family oriented so require a considerable amount of time and effort
I personally picked up some dishes my grandparents had been making since they lived in the countryside and adjusted them slightly
-Chicken braised in grated tomato sauce, served with pasta and graviera cheese
-Simple lentil stew with rice
-Minced pork and beef sauce with pasta, kinda like a ragu with it's own peculiar spices and herbs
-Green beans stew (much better with some beef or pork chunks but also good with just some feta and bread)
-Pork and cabbage stew
-Grilled porkchops, sausages/grilled fresh fish with sides
-Scrambled eggs and tomato
-Spinach rice
-All kinds of salads including "main course" and sides
-Some sweets like simple cake and simple custard
Those are some of things I personally find convenient to make as they require little effort/attention

Some other nice ones that take more effort are
-Pastichio, minced meat sauce and pasta with bechamel on top as well as other casserole type dishes
-Stuffed grape or cabbage leaves
-Seafood of all kinds (grilled octopus, fried shrimp, baked fish)
-Phyllo pastries
-Roasted meat with herbs

It's mostly simple food but if anything you saw interests you, ask for more details and I'll try to answer

>> No.11858793

>>11858652
Nothing in particular, just looking to broaden my horizons food wise.

I've also got plenty of roommates/family that I can always cook for and a substantial herb garden that I cook with regularly, so anything's fair game.

>> No.11858803

Normally I fix a chicken or fish based dish so those would probably be best. What all goes into that braised chicken? Also anything seafood I'll give a shot.

>> No.11858968

>>11858803
Its just a whole chicken cut into parts and fried in olive oil until browned, finely chopped onions go in to sautee, deglazed with some wine, fresh grated tomatoes and some extra liquid if needed, some fresh herbs like dill and parsley and maybe rosemary and oregano, whatever you think fits really, and simmer for 10 minutes maybe, then you can finish it on the stovetop or the broiler for crispy chicken skin for maybe half an hour. Serve with egg noodles or orzo and grated hard cheese. You could look for "kokkinisto kotopoulo" or "giouvetsi" for versions of this recipe if they are in english.
I don't really know what you are expecting from greek cooking though, recipes don't really look that exciting or special so I hope its not too underwhelming.

>> No.11858974

>>11858314
Pita bread with Tsatsiki sauce.

>> No.11859360

Saganaki prawns are pretty legit, but there's a million recipes from a million families who all do it slightly differently.

Dolmades (dunno how to type it, only ever said it in Greek) that aren't tinned are worth checking out

There's a few other things like moussaka and pastitsio, the various ways to boil beans with some other shit in it, grilled octopus with some weird dressing I never learned how to make, all sorts of mezze, this weird Greek pasta that's like bucatini but like 3 times the size with mizithra cheese and a tiny bit of butter. Heaps of stuff dude, just ask Greek people what they grew up eating if both their parents were Greek.

>> No.11860465
File: 89 KB, 700x467, kotopoulo-kokinisto-taliateles_20150825_0182.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11858974
Kinda cliche but ok

>> No.11860740
File: 167 KB, 900x599, Garides-saganaki-me-feta.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.11860747
File: 65 KB, 800x600, gemista-smirnis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>no mention of gemista
I am disappoint

>> No.11860860

>>11860747
That looks like shit dood.

>> No.11861243
File: 182 KB, 800x571, hoirini-tigania-mystika-1a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11860860
They're pretty good especially for a meatless dish, good with some feta too but they're not hamburgers I guess