[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 117 KB, 680x788, e61.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11785335 No.11785335 [Reply] [Original]

How does one cook lamb kidney with as little other ingredients as possible and make it taste good?

Slow cook with tomato paste and a bay leaf almost like a steak and kidney pie recipe?

>> No.11785354

I always curried my lamb kidneys but I had a secret process the Indians never used. I washed my hands.

>> No.11785391

>>11785335
Slice it into half-inch thick "steaks", salt it and fry in a pan with lots of butter and some rosemary sprigs. Baste the top of the lamb with hot butter until just cooked through. If it doesn't taste good, lamb kidney isn't your thing. Trying to hide its taste with a bunch of spices and shit is dumb; if you don't like the flavor it has don't eat it.

Disclaimer: I've never had lamb kidney

>> No.11785893

Make sure you get really fresh ones at your butchers.

Cut in half lengthwise and remove any cartilage, fat and the outer skin covering it.
Water them if you feel like it.

Cut in cubes, brown slightly in butter together with onions, add sage or rosemary and deglaze with sherry. Salt and pepper to taste.

Voilà.

>> No.11786086

I like heart, gizzard and liver but I've always shied away from kidneys because it's my understanding they have a faint urine flavor. Can anyone confirm?

>Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liverslices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine.

Joyce, "Ulysses"

>> No.11787097
File: 551 KB, 1600x1200, 9RWFX1R.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11785335
keep it in a brine for a day before
slice in half and remove the innermost membrane
get your pan fukken hot lad, and add a little frying oil
give it a little time on each side (just till you see some fair colouration)
add a little ginger, thyme, and sherry vinegre and take off the heat, then when it's 'settled' a little butter, and baste them kidneys
season with black pepper and enjoy