[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 131 KB, 1300x928, a-very-meagre-breakfast-served-up-in-george-in-south-africa-the-customer-A2JJ14.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11711543 No.11711543 [Reply] [Original]

I am going to be very short on money in 2019. I work full time, my job doesn't pay well. I am studying on the side, in a program for people who work full time.

I also work out and need a diet that's high in protein. I've stocked up on canned tomatoes and pasta, to which I add onions and garlic, and parmesan cheese. Also rice, corned beef cans.

What do you suggest in cheap but healthy food?

Thanks for your help.

>> No.11711560
File: 126 KB, 896x942, Diets and Nutrients.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's really simple but diverse is basic versions of iingredients.

Casein for gains and lasting protein
Whey for quick energy and MPS
Flaxseed oil for omega 3s
Stevia for flavoring (CCNutri)
Antioxidants such as Sangre de Grado / astaxanthin
Vitamins and minerals for further nutrition

>> No.11711568

>>11711560
>animal protein
>healthy
Kys cancerloving meatcuck before the heart attack does

>> No.11711582

>>11711568
>Kys cancerloving meatcuck before the heart attack does
Is this serious? I'm not on this board often.

>> No.11711583
File: 1 KB, 159x107, Summary of Those Arguments.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11711568

>> No.11711588

>>11711560
>Whey for quick energy and MPS
But... protein isn't good for quick energy, precisely. Protein serves as restoration of the body and muscle growth, it's a slow source of energy.

>> No.11711640

>>11711588
It's acid soluble; and, for example, vitamin C already increases the absorption of some nutrients; and lecithin increases the bioaccessibility of vitamin C (and other things benefited by emulsification) … so, the science metrics available are very limited.

Whey is also an insulin responsive protein, which is anti-catabolic, so absorbability speed of digestion is less relevant to potentially requiring more within 2-4hrs., especially if interested in keto.

>> No.11711646

>>11711640

… / simply feeling fueled.

>> No.11711653

>>11711640
Question for you since you seem to know what you're talking about: how long do protein stay in one's body and how long can your body use them for gains?

>> No.11711699

>>11711582
its not serious, ignore him

>> No.11711719

>>11711653
Understanding hungers (fats vs. proteins) is actually really simple, especially referencing omega 3s, and vs. calories. Eating plenty of protein (e.g., 150 g/day, well distributed) and limiting fats / calories sometimes produces hungers, but it's obvious that muscles are being fueled; and, honestly, it's plausibly other nutrients that are being signalled for. A "fast metabolism" is possible – there are so many products that are beneficial (and possible amongst the metabolites), such as testosterone.

>> No.11711733
File: 142 KB, 550x1650, high-protein-beans-infographic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11711543
Beans and rice. But mostly beans if you want lots of protein. Also peanuts.

Peanuts and soy beans (the highest protein bean) are subsidized if you're in the US, but really most types of beans are pretty cheap anyway.

>> No.11711741

>>11711719
I don't even know if this answered my question. Thank you, however.
t. brainlet

>> No.11711864

Whats your weekly food budget?

>> No.11711884

>>11711864
I'd like to stay under 10 bucks a day.

>> No.11711946

>>11711884
its pretty easy to live off of $50-70 a week if you don't go out to eat. I do it, you don't really have to make any sacrifices. I eat somewhere between 2-5 pounds of ground beef or chicken breast a week. 4 bags of frozen vegetables, 30 eggs, gallon of milk. Oats, saltines, black beans for carbs.

>> No.11712594

>>11711582
we unironically have some baby killers (vegans) on this board, unfortunately

>> No.11712599
File: 248 KB, 2048x1536, Tuna sammich.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11711543

>> No.11714345

My time to shine.

OP, do you want or need any of the following:

-a list of basic kitchen implements and where to find them cheaply
-the correct way to make rice
-basic panacea for soup and stew making
-how to optimize meat selection
-couponing and batching
-how to select good produce
-how to sprout and grow your own herb garden
-my soapbox about how best by dates are usually at best unsubstantiated guesswork and at worst evil capitalist lies

I can also answer most questions you have about being a miser in general.

>> No.11714349

>>11711543
Eggs, beans, rice, frozen vegetables.

>> No.11714354

I can get chicken breast for 1.99/lb, and eggs for 60c a dozen at Walmart.

I eat oatmeal and milk for breakfast, 6 boiled eggs for lunch, and a pound of chicken, a baked potato and a few cups of vegetables for dinner. Costs about $5 a day.

>> No.11714425
File: 631 KB, 1024x806, Chicken paws.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Chicken feet no wants to buy them other than asians, they're cheap for less then 2 dollars a pack. Now finding recipes is another thing. The collagen in these things are good for your bones, skin, hair, and recovering faster from injuries.

>> No.11714435

>>11712594
Since when were pitbulls aren't vegan?

>> No.11714453

>>11714425
nobody wants to bite something else' nails, christ.

>> No.11714459

>>11714345
Not OP but I'd appreciate the rice, soup base and herbs please. Also, more specific breakfast-lunch-dinner regimes, maybe? I understand beans&rice and other miser staples but how do I prepare them and mix them every day? Thanks.

>> No.11714476

>>11714345
i want to know all of those things please thank you

>> No.11714510

I make whole wheat bagels that I eat every morning with butter salt pepper and a cup of self grown broccoli sprouts

>> No.11714836

>>11714476
>>11714459
Okay, I’ll start with the rice, soup, and herb rants.

Rice:
Rice is cheap! Like most things in life, it’s cheapest in bulk. Go to the Asian grocery and get a 40 lb bag. Those of us on our small budgets might wince a little at the initial investment price, but please keep the price per ounce in mind to make yourself feel better. That’s going to be a constant with these rants.

Get something you’ll like that can be used many ways. I prefer jasmine rice or botan stick rice as a preference. They can go with so many different cuisines and flavors. Brown rice is just like white rice, but with the hulls. It’s good for vitamins, but it’s less versatile. If you’re following my instructions, your rice will be from overseas and covered in starch. To remove small contaminants like stems and grit, along with the starch, rinse your rice in a pot at least three times. Let the cold water cover it by an inch, with the pot not being more than half full. Stir the rice with your hand and rub it with your fingers until the water is cloudy, then gently tip the pot until there’s only a little water left and start again. When you’re learning, you’ll lose a bit of rice. It’s not the end of the word. Consider placing a mixing bowl in the sink to save against any larger accidents.

Three to six washes should only take you a few minutes when you get the hang of it, and making rice in bulk is good for rice balls and fried rice, so it’s a good way to allot your time.

>> No.11714849

>>11714836
Once you have your rinsed rice, poke at the top of your rice with a straight finger. Fill your pot with water until it comes above your rice to over your first knuckle joint. Place this on medium-high heat until it boils, and then turn it to low for 20 to 30 minutes while covered with a tight-fitting lid.

Getting rid of the starch will keep your rice fluffy, and the bottom will be nice and golden and chewy. It’s my favorite part. Eat that warm with your dinner, and save the top for rice balls and fried rice in an airtight container. I use old butter and yogurt containers labeled with sharpies and masking tape.

To get the rice residue off, just let it soak for an hour. If it’s being a bitch, boil some water in the pot with a splash of white vinegar. White vinegar is a wonderful tool for cleanliness in general. Use it to clean your windows, metal fixtures, and laminate.

Rice balls are actually a practical move to preserve food! They aren’t just for sad weebs. We’re poor, remember, so nothing can become moldy on our watch. Mix the day-old rice with a dash of salt, a splash of rice vinegar (different from your cleaning vinegar, I promise), and some sesame or rice sprinkles if you’re feeling fancy. Wad it into small handfuls around any filling you want to keep around for a while. I have success with minced meat, herbs, and sometimes fruit. A non-traditional favorite is pork, thyme, and my neighbor’s Mexican plums.

Fried rice is really easy. Let a tablespoon of oil simmer in a pan with some spices you like, add your old rice, and then mix it with whatever minced vegetables you have, tumeric, soy sauce, mirin, and fish sauce. Some people also like oyster sauce and hoisin. It’s your life. Please keep in mind that many of those sauces already have a lot of salt, so only add a little at a time and don’t use additional salt, or it will be way too much.

>> No.11714915
File: 82 KB, 736x548, Gizzards and Hearts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11711543
>>11714425
>>11714453
>nobody wants to bite something else' nails, christ.
You pick that shit out like everyone else. Ok how about gizzards and hearts then same price more suited for a western palate.

>> No.11714919

>>11714849
thanks anon! you're awfully sweet for sharing all these helpful tips!

>> No.11714953

>>11714849
Soup is very easy!

First, you start with cheap chunks of stringy, fatty meat, lightly salted and peppered then covered in flour in a bowl. If your meat is lean, maybe add some bacon or saved bacon fat. By the way, save all of your bacon fat in a glass jar in your fridge. These meat chunks are about an inch across, but feel free to have smaller chunks if the meat you purchased was of an irregular shape and needed to be diced smaller for a pleasing look.

Brown the outsides of your meat at the bottom of a very large soup pot. You can get these very cheaply at yard sales. If no yard sales or thrift stores are forthcoming, Fiesta has the least objectionable first-hand prices and often runs sales.

Once your meat is browned, remove it to a bowl and brown chopped onions, garlic, and peppers in the fat that is left behind. Once that smells nice and the onions have a golden color, add the meat back with broth, cubed potatoes and sliced carrots, maybe some beans soaked overnight then rinsed, and whatever spices you’d like. Don’t forget the bay leaf or two. They don’t smell like much, but they store well for a very long time while dried and make everything more intense and nice after a few hours of simmering.

Speaking of which, after you add everything in, bring it to a nice hard boil, then put it on low to let it simmer for a long time. Maybe four to five hours. Set an alarm so that you can nap. Watch Netflix. Do your homework or play vidya. Just don’t actually leave the house in case there’s a fluke fire issue. Stir the pot occasionally, just to make sure nothing’s sticking to the bottom. If there is a little sticking, don’t worry! Stir and let it boil off into the soup. You began your meat in the pot to get nice little browned bits as a flavor starter. It’s called fond.

Once it’s 30 minutes from done, taste it. Add a little salt at a time until you’re happy. I mean it when I say to add it gradually. Add extra spices maybe.

Enjoy!

>> No.11715005

>>11714919
Aw, thanks! I wish that I had this when I unceremoniously left home, so I try to pass it on.

>>11714915
Heart is the best organ meat. Fight me. Beef heart especially. (Chicken feet are also really good fried too with some sambal, you’re right. I like the crunch.)

Okay, so before we move on to container gardening, I’d like to add that noodles get added to soup 20 to 15 minutes before they’re done, and after you salt it at the end stage. This extra content might necessitate that you taste it again to check the spice and salt balance after they’ve plumped up to an al dente.

If you want a thicker soup, and the starch from rice or cooked-down beans isn’t going all the way you’d want, make a roux! You just melt butter in a small pan, and then stir in an equal amount of flour. Keep that moving until it’s a toasty golden brown, then remove it from heat. Add a bit of the soup broth, and mix it in gradually so there’s no lumps. Once you have about a thinned-out mixture that’s evenly mixed, stir it into the main soup and let it thicken up. For the truly desperate, cornstarch can be used in very small amounts at a time using the same broth steps. But it’s flavorless, unlike roux, so use roux first and let it go for half an hour or so before you come to any judgements.

>> No.11715012
File: 1.11 MB, 4032x3024, Gizzard 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11714915
Apologies for the fries in the foreground and the stuff in the background. Gizzard and heart stew is great. Oddly enough with fries. I can give a vague recipe but it's complex.

>> No.11715059

>>11715005
>Beef heart especially.

I live in the South where we have lots of smoked sausages, and can confirm that the ones made with beef hearts are great.

>> No.11715073

>>11715005
>>11714915

i feel way too intimidated to eat heart and other organs and some uncommon cuts... i had deer brain dip once, pretty gud too.

>> No.11715108

>>11715005
Container gardening is a relatively painless way to get some cheap or free greens in your life, and this is the time to start planning, if you’re in the south like me. Whefever you are, buy your seeds and sprout them a month before your spring.

I like to steal dirt from the landscaping in my apartment complex, fluff it up with my fingers, and put it in empty egg cartons I’ve saved. Poke holes in the bottom of each pocket with a pencil tip for drainage, and nest them loosely in a whole carton to catch the mess.

Buy your seeds with the understanding of how much sunlight you get where you live— think about full sun and partial sun. What time of day that sun is available. Consider increasing the size of your plant empire by migrating your full-sun pots to different parts of your balcony or windows if you get light from different places. Follow the package directions closely for planting and watering. Use a spray bottle on a light mist setting so you don’t harm the tiny things or move them out of place. Once they have sturdy little shoots with about four leaves, replant your strongest sprouts into their adult container at the distance suggested for their species.

Don’t give up. They’ll happen. You just have to be patient.

I like to grow rosemary, sage, thyme, marjoram, and as many fun varieties of basil I can fit in. Purple and pineapple are consistent picks. I’m going to start a lavender bush this year. Wish me luck with that drainage system, I guess. Also, radishes are fast-growing, hardy, and can taste quite sweet in stir fries. Use some cinnamon!

If you see a full-grown plant, try to cut off a twig where it meets the larger stem and place it in a glass of water in your windowsill. It should sprout roots! Once the system is somewhat developed, wean it into dirt with a smidge of fertilizer. With some luck and care, you might get a free plant. I suggest trying lots at the same time. Big litter policy, you know. One will make it.

>> No.11715127

>>11715073
It’s actually very easy! It has a nice and robust texture, and usually runs a lot cheaper than other beef cuts.

All you have to do is slice away the covering around the meat. You won’t get a perfect steak shape, but it’s best in stews, so this is fine. Pat it dry, then cube it like you would any other kind of delicious animal muscle.

>>11715059
One of us, one of us

>> No.11715146

>>11715108
I wish you luck with your lavender bush. I tried starting some lavender from seed but none of them germinated. Also since you're into gardening, you should look into planting some cucamelons.

>> No.11715168

>>11711543
rotisserie chickens are generally really great price per pound and you can freeze the bones to make your own stock to get the most value out of them.

>> No.11715225

>>11715108
Someone was wondering how to make bean and rice combinations for different meals, earlier. The answer is that you just have to know different styles, save up some kitchen staples, and pick them on whimsy.

Red beans and rice are a great creole staple. Also, cured sausage keeps for forever.

A trusted recipe:

Red Beans and Rice
Ingredients
1 pound (450g) red kidney beans
Kosher salt
1 tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil or lard
1 pound (about 450g) cooked andouille sausage, cut into ½-inch disks
1 large onion, finely chopped (about 12 ounces; 340g)
1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped (about 8 ounces; 225g)
4 ribs celery, finely chopped (about 8 ounces; 225g)
4 medium cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon to 1 tablespoon (3 to 15g) ground cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like it)
1 teaspoon (about 4g) ground sage
Freshly ground black pepper
1 smoked ham hock (optional)
8 ounces (225g) pickled pork shoulder or rind (optional; see note)
4 sprigs fresh thyme
3 bay leaves
Hot sauce, such as Crystal or Frank’s, to taste
Cider vinegar, to taste (optional; see note)
Cooked white rice, for serving

>> No.11715227

>>11715225
Directions
1. Place beans in a large bowl and cover with 6 cups (1.5L) cold water. Add 2 tablespoons (30g) kosher salt and stir until dissolved. Set aside at room temperature for 8 to 16 hours. Drain and rinse.
2. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil or lard over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add andouille and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Season with salt and cook, stirring, until vegetables have softened and are just starting to brown around the edges, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add cayenne pepper, sage, and a generous 10 to 12 grinds of fresh black pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans, along with enough water to cover by about 2 inches (roughly 6 to 8 cups), ham hock (if using), pickled pork (if using), thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce to a bare simmer. Cover and cook until beans are completely tender, 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours. (Older beans can take longer.)
3. Remove lid and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has thickened and turned creamy, about 20 minutes. If the pot starts to look dry before the stew turns creamy, add a cup of water and continue simmering. Repeat as necessary until desired level of creaminess is achieved. Discard bay leaves and thyme stems. Season to taste with hot sauce, a few teaspoons of cider vinegar (if using), and more salt and pepper. For best texture, let cool and refrigerate overnight. Reheat the next day, adding a little water to loosen to desired consistency. Serve red beans over steamed white rice.

>> No.11715243

>>11711543
Try a foodbank if you're starting to do crazy shit like skip meals or live off rice for a week.

>> No.11715246

>>11711543
Oats and rice. Get a shit ton of both to last you.

>> No.11715258

>>11715146
Thank you! I’ll look into those, they sound like fun.

>>11715146
But it’s much cheaper to get raw chicken, and they’re so easy to cook. You just rub them in salt, pepper, butter, and spices, rub some butter and herbs in the cavity, and then roast them at 250*F for four hours. Maybe while your soup is cooking?

Chicken quarters are also cheap, and they’re an hour and fifteen minutes at 325*F.

Cover with foil until the last half hour for browning.

>> No.11715266

>>11715243
No, no, no.

Skipping meals makes you mentally slower and retain fat.

Also, there’s no reason to eat nothing but rice in America. Swallow your misplaced pride, if you’ve reached this place in your life, and get some help. Food banks exist to give people this poorly-off a hand up. You won’t be able to get a good job if you’re tired and scattered all of the time. Also, a well-balanced meal is important preventative healthcare. Do you want to skip work because you’re sick? Is that it? Do you enjoy losing money?

>> No.11715280

>>11715266
I think you're agreeing with me but didn't read the post properly, anon.

>> No.11715307

>>11715246
I saw a 50lb bag of quality Korean rice for $40 earlier today. That's $0.16 per serving (for the generally accepted 250 one-cup servings per 50 lb bag). Crazy.

>>11715266
Also, this. People give money to food banks for the explicit reason of helping people exactly like you.

>> No.11715313

>>11715227
Back to our favorite starches, there are many ways to mix beans with different meats, broths, and vegetables. You can eat them in soup. You can mash beans cooked with dried peppers and broth and then cook the mash for refried beans. You can take your refried beans and make small patties with meat to stretch the meat. Beans are eternal. My favorite way that isn’t with red beans and rice is with roasted garlic, carmelized onions, paprika, powdered mustard, and curry powder. This sounds strange but the combination is magical.

Rice, apart from being great fresh, is also excellent after resting for rice balls and fried rice. You can make congee with water or broth for it to become breakfast. You can add milk, pie spices, and sugar to the congee water to make it rice pudding (consider adding cardamom to this).

In general, stretching meat with starches is the way to go. Stale breadcrumbs, blended rice, mashed beans, mashed potato. Do what you want and remember to spice it well. If it’s too crumbly, bind it with a whisked egg. (Forks or two chopsticks are fine as emergency whisks.)

>> No.11715320

>>11715280
Oh, sorry. This is a sign that I ought to sleep.

I’m doing old people things later this morning, anyway. Bringing bread to a retirement party.

>> No.11715335
File: 461 KB, 1200x1013, 2B member.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey Old Lady Ranting at Cloud, thank you so much for the tips. I usually only lurk here and never post but I'm writing all of this down for when I escape my abusive parents next year. Seriously, thanks.

>> No.11715400

Before I crash for the night, I’ll leave you all with my favorite bread recipe.

Pumpernickel Bread, Two Loaves:
1 cup cold coffee
1/2 c minced onion
1/2 c molasses
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp salt
4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 c warm water(slightly warmer than your body)
2 1/2 c bread flour
1 c wheat flour
1/4 c cocoa powder
1 Tbsp caraway seeds
2 c rye flour
Cornmeal

Directions:
1. Put yeast and warm water in a large bowl for five minutes while you mix the coffee, onion, molasses, butter, and salt over medium high heat until it boils. Let it cool, then mix it into the yeast.

2. Stir in 2 c bread flour, wheat flour, cocoa, and caraway seeds. While stirring, add in the rest of the rye 1/2 c at a time until the dough forms a ball.

3. Then, knead on a floured surface for five to seven minutes. It should be nice and elastic, now.

4. Stack two baking trays on top of eachother, and grease the top one. Put your dough on the tray, and cover it with a thoroughly greased mixing bowl. Let it sit in a warm place for two hours.

5. It should be doubled in size, now. Punch it down into the cover bowl, spread corn meal across the greased tray, and then split the dough into two equal, oblong loaves. Cover loosely in plastic wrap and leave for an hour.

6. Bake for half an hour at 375*F. It’s done when tapping the loaf makes a hollow noise.

7. Remove from the tray to cool on a plate. Brush the top with melted butter, if you want. Don’t cover it right away, or the condensation will make the bread soggy and go bad quickly.

>> No.11715406

>>11711543
SLOW COOKER AND BEANS

>> No.11715407

>>11715335
You’re welcome! I’m glad that I’m able to help.

I’ll be sure to finish my topic list tomorrow.

>> No.11715416

>>11715407
Take your time.

>> No.11715428

>>11715335
I also moved out too early from a bad situation, so hit me up for questions about general frugality if you want.

Until you have the financial freedom, please take care of yourself. Find ways to have parts of your life that are only yours. Don’t stay inside with them for a moment longer than you must. And please remember that you matter. You’ll be happy, work hard, and then be worth more than those sad sacks on an objective level when you remember to care about others. Empathy is a learned trait, and I don’t think that people who beat on their dependents have space to grow it in, or care a lot about effective altruism.

>> No.11716260

Thank you grandma, I'll save these carefully and implement your tips.

>> No.11716352

Tofu...eat Miso Soup with noodles and you will have your full of protein.

>> No.11716385

justmeat.co

>> No.11716389

>>11711543
>corned beef cans
lmao those aren't cheap
sardines are cheap
eggs are cheap
beans are cheap
oatmeal is cheap
fucking shit dude

>> No.11716589

I feed myself very cheaply with bean and rice burritos. Buy the beans and rice in bulk. Rice cooker, pressure cooker. Whatever veggies I have on hand go in them. Tomato, lettuce, onion, always extra jalapenos. Then just pick a spread you like to put on the tortilla before you roll it up. I like JUST Brand Chipotle Mayo.

>> No.11717330

>>11715428
Thank you very much. It means a lot to me. I've been doing my best to be a compassionate and empathetic person despite the circumstances and I'm really glad to hear from someone else who was in a similar position and managed to come out just fine.
Regarding frugality, what are your thoughts on bank accounts in general and how I should keep my money when I move out for the first time? What kind of account should I open if any? I plan to pay cash for anything if possible for a long while.

>> No.11717337
File: 112 KB, 800x538, nixon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11711543

>> No.11717601

>>11711560
You need to gb2/fit/.

>> No.11719249

Bump for grandma.

>> No.11719340

>>11717337
This pic is like the late 70s condensed

>> No.11719495

can someone make an album for the sake of convenience

>> No.11720471
File: 54 KB, 500x500, 1546042448654.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11715266
>Skipping meals makes you mentally slower and retain fat.

>> No.11721044

>>11720471
It's true.

>> No.11721132

>>11711543
buy a sack of rice. Drink milk.
Use sausages for calories

>> No.11722305

I find it interesting that americans talking about frugality don't seem to consider fuel an expense. Bake your own bread, just turn on your oven for an hour to do it? Simmer the stew for 4 hours? If I did that once or twice a week my gas bill would destroy my food budget.

Any ideas for affordable, raw meals? Or should I just eat spinach, take cold showers and stop complaining?

>> No.11724165

I’m back, everyone. Thank you so much for waiting for me! You’ve been very kind.

>>11717330
Good. Please keep intentionally being your best self. It’s a cliche, certainly, but depending on the reaction of others to make you happier or fulfilled isn’t a good move. That would mean trusting idiots.

You’ve been forced to see that the world is ugly. But we can all do our best to make it a kinder place.

Now, about money— only idiots and people with no other option keep their money under their mattress. Banks are insured, now. Your money is safer there, and builds interest. That’s banks literally paying to hold your money. I don’t know where you live, and please do not share that information on the internet. But there are likely many options for different savings accounts and financial institutions in your area. Shop around until you find your top few picks, and then haggle in person. They want more customers, so they’ll likely present their best options to you. There are special discounts and rates for college students, so please take advantage of that.

Savings accounts, in general, tend to accrue interest faster than checking accounts. Debit accounts only allow you to remove money that already exists, but credit accounts are insured against theft. Really, it comes down to knowing what kind of person you are, and what is practical. Are you the sort of person who might procrastinate, or make small deals with themselves for indulgences that accidentally grow over time? If that’s so, then a credit account might not be for you. There’s no embarrassment in self-knowledge. Know your weaknesses, and then plan around them. On that note, advertisements and gimmicks will in general depend on you not being good at math, or thinking things through. While you’re shopping around for an account, use potential and realistic scenarios based on your future income to figure out what might serve you best.

>> No.11724214

>>11720471
I’m not angry with you. Just disappointed in your biology teacher.

Do you know what one of the most important charities in the world is, by benefit per financial cost? It’s buying deworming pills and then shoving them into the mouths of small children in developing and impoverished countries. Children filled with parasites are not nourished children. They are often sick with diseases related to the parasites, and sick with a lack of basic calories, vitamins, and minerals. The results are long-reaching and ugly. They are brittle. Their brains do not develop as they should. They are slow, dull-eyed. Like the poor in North Korea. They can’t concentrate in school, when they manage to go.

A lack of food doesn’t just kill. It ruins.

Food isn’t love. It isn’t even something that should bring you joy more than many other things. But it can make you something better than you were, if you get enough of it in the right moment at the right time.

Do not apologize to me. Apologize to people you have hurt by saying lies like this. And maybe consider passing that deworming charity a few dollars at givewell.org.

>> No.11724254

>>11722305
Oh, I’m so sorry.

I am from Texas, a place with relatively low fuel costs. On that note, I am almost certain that my beef heart is also cheaper than yours.

You don’t need to cook stews for that long, it just makes them taste better. If you want to save fuel, buy premade broth whenever it’s cheap. Stack manufacturing and store coupons if you can. Precook your meat and vegetables at the same time in a skillet, but please cook your meat first, alone, so that you don’t accidentally steam it and make an unwanted texture. Substituting canned beans gives you a tradeoff of creamier texture and a lessened cook time, at the sacrifice of the lower price of raw beans.

I’ll add more if I think about it, but please also be aware that it’s more difficult to absorb nutrients from raw spinach. Please steam it briefly.

>> No.11724270

>>11711560
I wish that the mods were active here so that they would ban this faggot, he posts this same fucking retarded picture in every thread

>> No.11724278

To recap, I still have more requested topics, and am happy to answer more questions if you have them.

I’d agreed to discuss best by dates, selecting meat and produce, optimizing couponing, and how to plan food in batches.

>> No.11724282

>>11722305
mostly because it's so cheap here that it doesn't register, I don't think I have ever in my life worried about the cost of gas for cooking, even when simmering stock for 9+ hours it's so cheap it hardly matters.

>> No.11724293

can o' beans nigga
Add some sausage if you want to get fancy, and rice if you want to stretch it

>> No.11724294

>>11724270
Some people lean into their lord and savior Keto a bit much, don’t they? I personally don’t trust their speil, but I have also learned that dissuading people from their “special topic” rarely works. Just let him be.

>> No.11724303

>>11711543
Do you have food banks where you live? I recommend going, don't be too proud or think they are only for the homeless. I have volunteered at them and they throw away tons of food because it goes bad, I know several very well off people that like to go pick stuff up from them because they like getting free stuff.

>> No.11724337

>>11711543
Drink urine and eat your dog's shit
>Free at all

>> No.11724394

>>11724278
To begin, best by dates are entirely to cover the ass of the company. They rarely have much to do with reality.

Modern canning practices ensure a genuinely impressive span of edibility. If the can is undented, has no bulging, and is within the last 50 years, eat it.

Is the yogurt past due? Just sniff it and look for discoloration. Separation of solids and liquids is immaterial, you can just stir that back together. Same for cream. Butter is essentially eternal. Eggs will be good for weeks and weeks past their due date— just make sure they sink in a bowl of water to stay safe. Milk is a bit closer to is projected date, especially if your fridge has cold and warm spots, but just be sure to sniff it to make certain. I personally keep my milk at the back of the fridge. It goes bad faster if you keep it in a shelf on the door.

Fruit and vegetables with rotting spots can often still be edible. First, see if it’s feasible to return them, if you bought the produce recently. If that’s not available, trim away the rot, run the remainder under cold water, and then sniff it carefully for anything sour or sickly-sweet. It’s usually just fine, especially if you use it in something that will reach killing temperatures for a while. Cooking things for a long time will also get rid of questionable textures, like slightly soft carrots or potatoes.

Sometimes there’s only a patch of rot, but a general unpleasant sliminess has spread throughout the entire bag. This is often the trouble with green beans. All isn’t lost— pick out the irridemable portions and then once again rub the remainder firmly under running water. If the remaining produce still largely had the amount of baseline firmness and color it should, and the odor is mild, it should be safe to eat after cooking thoroughly.

Meat is the area where you must be the most careful. Any discoloration or greying is right out. Anything that isn’t a clean, sharp scent and blood is right out.

>> No.11724471

>>11724394
When you’re at the store, you have to choose the freshest items available so the previous post is a rare issue.

While selecting meat, it needs to be bright, firm, and plump. You’ll see shady managers trying to pass off greying meat. Maybe even meat that looks like it has a slight oil slick shine on it. That’s terrible. Don’t even buy it if it’s in the discount bin.

One of the best places to buy meat is in ethnic stores. Stores largely catering to middle-class white people, like Kroger’s and Target, are shameless thieves. They’ll make you pay ten times the amount that Fiesta does while claiming that their items are on sale. At Fiesta, it’s very common to get drumsticks for 35 cents per pound, or pork ribs for $1.20 per pound. All meeting my earlier critetia for healthy, safe meat. Sometimes, there will be an even better sale, in which case it’s good to pack as much as you can into labeled and dated freezer-safe bags, lay them flat on eachother like a pile of bricks, and then shove it all in your freezer. I’ve lately butchered fourty pounds of raw ham hocks, reserving their skin and fat in strips for making beans, and making a broth from their bones to make space in my fridge instead of trying to cram in all of the raw soup bones and hoping they stay fresh until I could use them all.

Now, not all ethnic stores are your best bet. Non-national brands have less of a branding standard and can try to get away with shady bullshit. I recently had an extremely disappointing and strange time surrounding five pounds of oxtail that was incredibly fishy when defrosted and a manager that was either special needs or attempting to intimidate me. ...this may have escalated from me attempting to whisper that he should pull his stock and check the freezer system to me awkwardly yelling about how beef shouldn’t smell like fish while avoiding eye contact with the store’s three other customers.

Independent stores. Just try them. Sometimes.

>> No.11724531

>>11724471
Okay, as for selecting produce, the same rules tend to go as with selecting meat.

There should be a uniform and pleasant texture. No bruises. If you need to google for what a ripe specimen feels like, there’s no shame in that. You’re looking for clean or floral scents, nothing sickly. The non-stem end of the fruit will be the best place to catch a scent, usually. If the avocado is like a rock, you probably won’t be able to get a ripeness window before it rots. The ripe-bananas-for-ethylene in a paper bag trick works wonders for things that are somewhat underripe. You’ll get very brown bananas out of this, but those are great for bread and pudding.

When you get the produce home, generally keep them out of the fridge unless they are leafy greens, delicate, or have a part that is a leafy green. Green onions, spinach, mushrooms, and celery are all good in the fridge. Tomatoes in the fridge taste like ass. Onions, tubers, and other root vegetables are best in a dark, dry cabinet. I keep them in paper bags in a box. Carrots outside of the fridge will last a long time. Carrots in the fridge, kept dry, will outlast the heat death of the universe.

If your greens are wilting, submerge them in a bowl of cold water, put that bowl in the fridge, and then use them soon. Also, don’t forget to rinse your greens carefully for dirt and grit. Fingers are much better at this than power washers.

>> No.11724572

>>11724531
Okay, for couponing, there are a few things you have to consider.

There will be manufacturer’s coupons, which will usually be online or in free mailing or emailing lists you can register for. Store coupons are also online, but they can also be in physical mailers or in the store itself. Sometimes you’ll get product overlaps, which is fantastic. Go nuts with that, if it’s within your budget, of a significantly lowered price, and you know that you will be able to eat it.

Sometimes, stores will also sell products at prices below what is necessary to make a significant profit. This is known as having “loss leaders”, and the whole point is to get you into the store so that you impulse buy other things. Don’t. Just be a bitch about it. Go to Trader Joe’s and spend two dollars on excellent cooking wine, then peace out. Go to Central Market and buy nothing but rye flour from their bulk area. You don’t owe these people anything. Just shop with a list and stick to your plans.

While looking for discounts, it’s also easy to fall into the trap of wanting things just because they’re on sale. Only buy things that you actually need, are in a planned category (like “generally looking for cereal” or “need five kinds of produce”), and are ACTUALLY meaningfully cheaper than any of your other options. Otherwise you’ll impulse buy a lot of dumb stuff and won’t have any of your budget left for things you actually need to cook.

So: stack coupons when you can, research your deals, exploit loss leaders, and only get things that were actually in your plan. Unless it’s literally almost free.

>> No.11724652

>>11724572
As for batching food, I have a system where I make a soup every weekend, and then store most of it in portion bags in the freezer. After a while of doing this, you’ll have many meal options to simply defrost for the next day. It’s also a nice insurance against worrying about having no food. Most soups are more than any one person could finish in a week, so variety is good to keep your mood up, and the freezing keeps your leftovers safe.

I also like to have ideas about what I could do with my leftovers. I always make too much rice because I know that I enjoy fried rice and rice balls. I could also just cook some of the leftovers for longer for congee. Left over vegetables and meat could be thrown into stew, curries, or stir fries. If there’s already spices in the leftovers, consider what could compliment or overpower them.

When produce is is season and therefore cheap, like bell peppers and corn in the summer, and pomegranates in the winter, prepare them for use, pat them dry of excess moisture, and then freeze them pressed flat in freezer bags. It’s nice to have them out of season when they’re rare or expensive.

Sometimes, you’ll find a good deal on flash-frozen produce, and that’s also great! They keep most of their nutrients that way, and can often be cheaper than their fresh counterparts.

As a last note on this, noodles store in broth terribly and don’t freeze well. If you know that you’re going to be freezing soup or stew, please consider portioning out what you’re going to freeze, and then returning what you’re going to eat within the next few days to heat with your noodles for their cook time.

>> No.11725577

bump

>> No.11725652

>>11714425
OMG, i had spicy battered deep fried chicken feet the other day, and they were amazing! I would definitely eat more.

>> No.11726571

Did anyone have further questions?

>> No.11727375

>>11726571
Great overall advice

>> No.11727419

>>11726571
did you post the advice about soup and stew ?

>> No.11727593

>>11711733

Be wary of soy. I developed gynecomastia from it. They contain phytoestrogens.

OP if you can find good quality ones, eggs are cheap enough.

>> No.11728606

>>11727419
Yes, it’s right here:
>>11714953
And here was a second post about fuel concerns. I live in Texas, an area with very cheap oil and gas, but it’s been brought to our attention that Europe is in a very different situation. On a related note, has everyone else heard about the trick where you light a small candle in a clean tin can? Surprisingly, they’re fantastic and inexpensive space heaters.
>>11724254

>> No.11728647

>>11728606
yeah i'm a student who lives with 300 € per month ( roughly $343,18) i'm buying soup cans and i wanted to know how to make soup by myself, again thank you very much

>> No.11728758

>>11728647
I’d forgotten, there was a second part.
>>11715005
Good luck! Also, I don’t want to assume anything about your current skill level, but if you scan the thread I’ve given a lot of general advice for beginners.

>> No.11728776

>>11728758
i can cook good burgers, i make a heavensend guacamole, i think i can make a soup, anyway thanks a lot
do you have ideas for a cheap quick breakfast ?

>> No.11729533

>>11728776
Nice, what do you put in your guacamole?

Most of my breakfasts feature a lot of eggs and rice. Eggs for the necessary protein to work hard and get me to a late lunch, rice to fill me up. There are so many different ways to eat eggs, but I tend to gravitate towards western-style omelets with leftovers of precooked vegetables, omurice, chopped soft-boiled eggs in congee, tea eggs, and over-easy eggs over toast with avocado. The rice is usually already in an airtight bowl in my fridge, and it’s easy to heat it up with a splash of added water. Same for the tea eggs, if I was in the mood to make them. I also use day-old rice to make lots of rice balls with a little bit of rice vinegar, salt, and mirin around different fillings I wanted to keep preserved. Those are also fairly easy to grab and eat.

If none of this sounded nice, we could think about it some more.