[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 69 KB, 750x510, 1622_lobstertail_cooked_web.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11680797 No.11680797 [Reply] [Original]

What's a good 'starch/carb' to pair with lobster?

As a 'standalone'/for a meal?

I like lobster a lot. I get it fairly often, it's not exactly difficult since I live in boston. That being said; there are only really a handful of things I do with lobster on a regular basis/in general.

Baked Tails + bacon wrapped filet, or a strip for a simple surf & turf

Boiled Full Lobster meat chopped + tomato/chili + assorted shrimp/clams + linguini + fresh chopped garlic + parmesean for 'seafood' pasta.

Boiled Tail chopped + singapore style laksa base + mussels/calamari/fake crabstick + tao pok + sliced hardboiled egg and macaroni OR rotini

Boiled Full Lobster meat chopped + boxed macaroni and cheese (Annie's)

That's pretty much it. I've got surf&turf OR noodle dishes. Wondering if there are any nice starchy/carby bases to pair DIRECTLY with lobster for a full meal, beyond just a steak OR noodles.

>> No.11680806

for me it's rice pilaf

>> No.11680854

>>11680797
Couscous.

/thread

>> No.11680889
File: 193 KB, 981x1250, Stuffed-Lobster-Tail-Lead.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Duchesse potato.
Pic related.

>> No.11680924

risotto for sure
pretty much anything from Louisiana cuisine, etouffee, shrimp creole with lobster instead, crawfish monica but with lobster tail

I'm surprised you don't eat any sandwiches with your lobster. Bread goes good with lobster.

>> No.11680925

>>11680889
>Duchesse potato.
Yeah I've had those, and they're good and all, but they kind of cross the logistical/complexity threshold of things I'd generally make for myself at home

>>11680854
>>11680806
How do you pair the lobster with it though? Chop and stir-fry? I have NOTHING against either rice pilaf OR couscous in general, I'm just having some difficulty visualizing how to pair them with lobster

>> No.11681003
File: 69 KB, 640x480, Stonefire-Mini-Naan-Costco-2-640x480.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11680924
I do lobster salad (premade/bought, I don't make it myself, I get it from Costco from time to time when it's available) / mini-naan sanwiches, sometimes with pepper jack.

Them shits is amazing (not so much the lobster sandwiches, but the stonefire mini-naans); Burgers? Traditional Cold Cut Sandwiches? French Toast (the salty kind, not the sweet kind)?

Even if you don't care for indian food, try these little breads, they're excellent in many, many things when used over conventional 'western' buns/breads.

>Risotto

duly noted, and I'll look into that. I've had quite a bit of risotto from both family and restaurants, and it's a thing I "like" in general, never through about combining it with lobster (which is a little weird, since what I've always loved risotto with MOST was mushroom and scampi/prawns [and a lobster's basically a big motherfucker of the aforementioned two], but I certainly will in the future.

>>11680924
I LOVE new orleans/lousiana type food. I've never tried make it; I get etouffees and creoles frequently in restaurants, I love em, but they always seemed like something relatively tricky/complex to 'DIY' to me; what's a good way/recipe to get started with cajun cooking? I've been relatively hesitant on trying as although I grew up in the midwest/south region and vividly recall catching crawdads and catfish and rivers in ANY of many local creeks; I've been living on the upper east coast now for work for the last ten years or so and I haven't seen crawdads in grocery stores, and catfish only a handful of times (which I did/do/will snatch up). I mainly go to a few local tex-mex places every few weeks because they happen to have a particual cajun-style entree that I like.

>> No.11681017

>>11680925
cook your lobster in whatever way you want, lay the tail on top of your starch pile, dress it with sauce and small vegetables

>>11681003
etouffees and creoles are not hard at all

the root of an etouffee is a light roux. Stir one tablespoon of flour and one tablespoon of butter over low heat for 2 minutes. If it's too thick to combine and stir easily, add a little bit more grease. After two minutes, add seafood stock and tomatoes and blend together over high heat until thick. That's the heart of your stew, the rest is just vegetables and seasoning.

>> No.11681061

>>11681017
Thanks man, I'll take a more serious look at seriously trying to do an etouffee and creole myself.

Regarding 'cook your lobster however how want'; are there any caveats/context to that? The primary reason I 'cook my lobster the way I do' is contextual to the end result; in that If I'm baking it, it's because I'm sharing pre-heat time with a pre-seared steak; or if I'm boiling it, It's because I'm using the stove/range in the first place because I'm also making supplements (noodles and sauce/soup). While I AM familiar with doing a basic 'cook' of a lobster (or tail in the oven context) in general; are there any particular advantages/drawbacks for oven vs boil?

>> No.11681080

>>11681061
Dry roasting vs boiling always has the same advantages and disadvantages. Roasting has a higher risk of drying things out and is less efficient, but produces a crispier final product and pulls less flavor out of the protein. Boiling retains more moisture and is very quick, but it's harder to add or retain flavor. Braising is recommended for thicker sauces

>> No.11681100

>>11681080
>Braising is recommended for thicker sauces
could you elaborate?

Generally I boil my lobsters and chop em when I'm going to use them in a sauce or soup

When I do tails to be eaten whole (the surf&turf option), I do them relatively 'fast' still attached to tail at the very end but meat extracted and layed on top at 450 according to weight

What exactly do you mean by 'braising'? I was generally under the impression that my 450 was in the 'higher' speed/heat range for weight-contextual cooking?

>> No.11681172

>>11681100
I mean boiling the lobster or tail meat in the sauce you're going to use. Try Indonesian coconut sauce with the lobster cooked right in the sauce. Flavor town.

>> No.11681233

>>11681172
Interesting, Thanks! I'll look into that. I've always prepared my lobster relatively 'plain' when boiling before adding to a sauce/soup

>> No.11681431

>>11680797
pizza

>> No.11682412

>>11680797
Instant mashed potatoes. You can thank me later.

>> No.11682978

>>11680797
Corn on the cob.

Or make a bisque, and dip bread init

>> No.11683243

>>11680797
French baguette. Dip em both in melted butter.

>> No.11684150
File: 529 KB, 480x360, 1451815229502.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11680797
clam bake with potatoes motherfucker