[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 315 KB, 2000x1000, delivery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11605147 No.11605147 [Reply] [Original]

What happened to food delivery? Sites like Seamless / Grubhub used to be great, but now it seems almost anything of value on there just uses the website's internal delivery service.

It's trash because the place makes my food and then I'm still stuck waiting for someone to agree to go pick it up, then for them to go pick it up, then to come to me. I recently placed an order, $5 or so tip already set, and no one picked it up so the restaurant just cancelled it an hour after the food was already made. How did things advance to the point where what worked well for years is suddenly a two hour process of waiting for cold garbage? And the site won't even tell you if it's using their delivery service or the restaurant handles it in-house.

>> No.11605166

>>11605147
Millennials killed them like everything else.

>> No.11605183

>>11605147
Delivery service is more popular and convenient than ever, you're just using the shit ones and it also might be a factor if you don't live in a populated enough area. Personally Uber Eats is the best one I've found for food delivery. I sometimes pick franchise locations a little farther away from the one closest to me just because they have it ready too quickly and I prefer having more time like 15 minutes to watch the GPS mapping show me where the car is so I'm not all stressed out trying to throw on clothes and go outside to meet the person with two seconds notice (need to meet them outside because of apartment gate). Favor's the best one for delivery of any random items you want including cigarettes or toilet paper, but I think it's only available in Texas.

>> No.11605186

>>11605147
I've never had an issue

>> No.11605224

>>11605183
I'm in a decent enough area of Brooklyn. And UberEats has $4 to $6.50 fees on everything. Is that plus tip, plus tip for graciously accepting your tip?

>> No.11605229

What's the tipping etiquette for these apps? The delivery fees are usually double or triple what pizza places charge. Am I still supposed to tip another $5 on top of that?

>> No.11605256

>>11605224
Well UberEats is clearly more expensive because it actually works. So make your choice: cheap and garbage that might not even go through after an hour or reliable 15-30 minute food food extra money.

>> No.11605261

>>11605224
>>11605229
Lots of people don't tip. I personally do because it's totally possible I'll get the same driver at some other point in the future and it's not like I care about a few dollars extra anyway.

>> No.11605277

>>11605261
Would they be butthurt if I only tipped like $1-2?

>> No.11605289

>>11605256
That's a mostly fair point in terms of what I should be using now, but essentially my question in the OP is: Why did it just work with no fees like five years ago, but now I need to pay a $6 fee in addition to my tip in order to get the same level of service, when technology should have made it easier to manage if anything?

>> No.11605318

>>11605289
Why is it more expensive? Because there's more demand for it and more people willing to pay higher amounts of money.

>> No.11605388

Grubhub killed my free $2 weekend coupons via Eat24,

Fucking dicks.

>> No.11605413

>>11605277
Probably. I dunno, I used to work for Delivery Now, and I got paid about 2.50 per delivery, plus tip. So over an 8 hour period you're trying to do as many deliveries as possible. We got a gas stipend every month too. Idk if uber eats/grub hub has the same model

>> No.11605423

I haven't ordered food in like 5 years.
Learn to cook food or at least freeze shit you lazy fucks.

>> No.11605469

>>11605147
jesus christ just either order from the actual place or go get it yourself you stupid fuck
>what happened
third-party delivery companies started raising their fees and killing off coupons, then people realized that paying an extra delivery fee and tip was REALLY fucking stupid. that's what happened

>> No.11605482

>>11605413
That explains why these new services always seem so much more rushed than normal delivery.

>> No.11605549

I used Uber eats ONCE.
I always assumed the driver would just pick up the food and deliver it.
Instead, what the driver does is go to like pickup food orders from like 10 different restaurants and THEN deliver them.
When my Uber eats guy arrived, you could see bags upon bags of food in his back seat.
Shit took an hour and a half to get to me + additional fees.
Never again.

>> No.11606800

>>11605549

thanks for confirming my fear about uber eats. it seemed too good to be true. 95% of the time it's just cheaper and faster to pick up.

i think uber eats and other delivery services that operate on expanding service via p2p is a step back for consumers in terms of service quality. not sure about drivers but i imagine it will remove the last bit of negotiating power that drivers have in the long run.

>> No.11606835

>>11605549
This stems from dumbasses trying to make a full-time living out of something that was never meant to be more than a petty cash side job.
I had a few friends try to turn Postmates into a full time job, they were utterly exhausted after a few months because they were working their ashes off and making fast food wages.

>> No.11608544
File: 1.81 MB, 360x203, micky deez.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11605166
Yeah, they don't own those businesses. Shut up, grandpa. That shit costs like 10$+ the actual food you're getting, not including the tip. You think millennials can afford that shit? What world do you live in?
This shit, like Uber and Lyft or whatever it's called is just lazy garbage that won't be around in the next ten years. Mark my words. Spy Kids microwaves are the next thing.

>> No.11608575

>>11605549
>Instead, what the driver does is go to like pickup food orders from like 10 different restaurants and THEN deliver them.
That has never once happened to me. I tried looking it up and all I saw was ubereats drivers complaining about offers from the app for them to try to do "doubles" where the same restaurant has two different orders they can deliver. Apparently they don't like accepting those because the app can screw up their pay giving them half of what they should be making.