[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 8 KB, 194x259, bad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11403361 No.11403361 [Reply] [Original]

what is the worst food you have ever eaten at a restaurant? it doesn't have to be a story of poor service or shitty food, maybe you just flat out fucking hated it, but what was the absolute worst thing you have ever had the displeasure of eating?

>> No.11403394

>>11403361
At a Mexican place in my town I ordered their "special" chilli, made with dark chocolate and other crap... and it was so rancid I couldn't eat more than a few bites.
I'm not a fussy eater and I absolutely HATE leaving food on the plate, but this was just that horrible... I was so gutted.

>> No.11403401

>>11403361
A greasy, gigant veggiless angus burger at an IHOP. I want to actually go there for pancakes one day

>> No.11403407

Steak with a sweet sauce made with raisins.

>> No.11403417
File: 24 KB, 670x549, 1514192553109.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11403361
I never complain about my food at restaurants. Like, ever. If I don't like it then i don't eat it, you know. But this one time I got a side of mac n cheese at this place (my excuse is that it was a southern style homemade type joint) that was so salty I thought I was being pranked. An ungodly amount of salt I'm telling you like this shit was fucking legendary. I don't know how it happened other than a cook accidentally knocked a whole bag of salt into the pot or casserole and was too scared to tell anyone or what but I HAD to let them know. I asked them to taste it and they wouldn't and I was just sitting there like "I don't want my money back, I'm not trying to cause a fuss, I'm doing this for you and anyone else who eats here's sake. Someone FUCKED UP back there" and they were just like "we'll look into it".

Holy shit I could feels the grains of salt crunching like I was eating sand.

>> No.11403423

>>11403417
Probably an angry chef.

>> No.11403425

>>11403394
mole?

>> No.11403525

>>11403407
Good god, that sounds awful.

>> No.11403535

>>11403361
~15 pieces of popcorn chicken that was sold as "fried chicken cutlet" at a small cafe in Bali where i was backpacking. It was pathetic.

>> No.11403683

>>11403525
It was. Also contained balsamic and dried cherries. Gak!

>> No.11403698

>>11403683
what the FUCK

>> No.11403710

>>11403698
tumblr

>> No.11403829

>>11403361
>at some restaurant with my family and a lot of other people, party of ~25, some extra curricular event
>order steak frites with sauteed onions, cooked medium rare
>get served a completely well done steak but with no char at all
>wtf is this a boiled fucking steak
>be very polite to the waiter and ask if the steak is always like this, if so I would like to order something else, as it was fairly expensive and just completely inedible
>waiter is very polite back and apologizes, acknowledges this is not how it should normally look
>takes the dish back to the kitchen and says he'll bring me a new one
>10-12 minutes later the ""chef"" comes out carrying a new steak, with the nervous waiter behind him
>hands me another boiled fucking steak
>looks worse than the first one and just from the texture of cutting into it I know it's been fucked with, it's curled and smells terrible
>it's cooked well done again but with completely no char or color whatsoever, just some gray leather on a fucking plate
>the ""chef"" is staring at me intently with his fucking arms crossed
>this is not a normal chef
>the hairiest fat Turkish man I have ever seen in my life
I just said "I'm not paying for this" and I gave the steak back to the waiter and left.
Lord I'd all but forgotten this story until just now. I work in restaurants so I'm more forgiving than the average person, but what the shit? I lost my cool. I couldn't even stand to stay and order something else. No one else's food looked so horrible as mine.

>> No.11403897

>>11403401
They serve pancakes all day you know.

>> No.11403900

>>11403417
As someone with 10 years of restaurant experience between a suit and tie Chinese restaurant, a hip trendy burger joint with a 2 hour wait, and a high dollar craft beer bar with an eclectic menu, the one thing I never got enough of was feedback because of people like you. Look man, we live and breathe the restaurants we work at. Most of us managers pull at minimum 50 hour work weeks during regular seasons. Its not easy to stay completely objective about our food quality from the inside as much as we'd love to believe. We have to rely on our head chef's to deliver consistent results and discipline in keeping standards high so our customer feedback is the next line of defense against slipping standards.

Please, give any sit down restaurant feedback. You might occasionally deal with shitty management but most restaurants want to keep their standards high or even improve, and we really don't care from what culinary background we're getting feedback from. We prefer getting feedback from personal cards or even direct conversation - Yelp is a racket and people have axes to grind on it so it's a terrible place for feedback. We can sort through helpful and unhelpful feedback and we will read ANYTHING we're given even if you just write "FUCK OFF". I've never taken it personally, I've only ever wanted to improve or keep my standards high. You'll be doing your local joint a favor - we seriously prize good feedback whenever we can get it.

>> No.11403916

Some kind of Laos papaya salad, apparently they use a kind of fermented fish sauce to dress it.

It tasted like a whore's pussy that hasn't been washed in two months.

>> No.11403920

>>11403361
Had some fish tacos at a sit down mexican place that were extremely dry and bland, the only time I've sent back food.

Had a piece of metal like part of a paperclip in a piece of shrimp from a drive through burger place one time.

>> No.11403925

>>11403361
Went to the cheesecake factory
Literally everything was bland
Literally everything including the cappuccino, the cheesecake just tasted like sugar

>> No.11403958

>>11403900
Yeah, I never understood people who are too shy or feel it's improper to criticize bad food at a restaurant. It's not your mother's cooking at home. It's something you're paying for and ought to expect some level of quality from even if it's not much. People love to tell staff when they're enjoying the food so they ought to feel comfortable telling them when they fucked up too. It was always embarrassing when I was a kid and I'd sit there meekly poking at my food while my dad yelled at some schmuck for serving us garbage but I really appreciate people like him now that I cook for other people every day. It sucks to get yelled at but I want to know how other people feel about my food. If it's just me judging it it'll be either always perfect or never good enough.

>> No.11403959

>>11403361

Drunk off my Leaf ass in Manhattan at 3AM, the group ends up some 50's style diner and I ask for poutine. What I got was nothing less than an act of war and an insult to Canadians everywhere.

Soggy fries, chunky gravy, shredded processed cheese.. that orange shit that's one molecule away from the plastic packaging, you know the stuff.. all served "kinda" warm.

I felt no shame when, after choking back about 1/4 of that wretched mess, I ran into the bathroom and sprayed puke all over one of the stalls.

>> No.11403964
File: 58 KB, 640x426, 1530234698246.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11403900
Good to hear. The feedback I gave that day was akin to that of a holy roman scout on the battlefield coming back to say "those niggers have 800+ trebuchets and you brought 5000 men." It was for the restaurant, which had pretty good food aside from the mac. It was the first and only time I have ever complained in a restaurant and I'm over 30 years old. It was like eating beach sand, if all of the sand were sifted out. And I like salty food.

>> No.11403966

>>11403361
There’s this local diner that has been open for well over a decade. I guess it must be popular, and I remember I used to really like their Swiss mushroom burger.

I tried just a cheeseburger and onion rings after about five years of not going there, and holy shit. The burger was like cardboard with no vegetables and tasteless plastic cheese, and the onion rings were just limp little strings covered in grease and crumbs. They also had decided to hire some senile waitress for some reason. At least the methheads at Burger King have pep.

>> No.11405159

It was just last week. I was at a small diner and they had French Dip, which I had been craving for awhile. There were 2, and my dumbass didn't think much about it and I accidently got the 3/4 lbs that came with beef, instead of roast beef. It was just french bread with a hamburger patty on it that I was supposed to dip, except it didn't taste good at all in the au jus sauce...Why it was even on the menu I have no idea.

>> No.11405184

>>11403361
i was feeling a little homesick one night so i ordered a cheesesteak from arbys and i was served a soggy sorry excuse of a sandwich. the cheese was liquid, the "steak" had the texture and consistency of dog food and the onions and peppers were like mush.

>> No.11405260
File: 383 KB, 720x1480, Screenshot_20181030-060720_Samsung Internet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11403361
>Be 12 Y/O
>Visiting my aunt in San Francisco
>She happens to like Indian food
>Go to Indian place named Golden Gate something or something
>Be 12 Y/O Italian with 12 Y/O palate
>Order their lasagna
>
Noodles were crisp as cardboard even on the inside layers, and the sauce was abysmal. Even my grandfather who would eat most anything couldnt blame me for how awful it was