[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 309 KB, 476x621, 1533843956474.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11115776 No.11115776 [Reply] [Original]

I recently went to a place that specializes in cocktails. I'm not much of a cocktail drinker, beers my game, but I was trying my girlfriends and they were amazing. Light, sweet, no burn, and leaves you wanting more because they aren't too rich like the whiskey sours you'd get at any other bar.
I noticed the guy had a stack of books on the subject behind the bar.

My question is, is it possible he learned his craft by himself/no schooling? Could I potentially learn to make drinks like that for my lady in my free time? Do you guys have any books you'd recommend?

I apologize for not using Google first but technically I'm on vacation so I didn't feel like it plus I don't mind killing a thread here since half of em are about instant ramen

Pic unrelated

>> No.11115920

I'm in the same boat. I would recommend Internet for real. Look up bar essentials and essential drinks. I also like YouTube for cocktails.

>> No.11116216
File: 3.55 MB, 4160x2340, 15352685009247420847454418950333.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.amazon.ca/Playboy-Bartenders-Guide-Deluxe/dp/1402714173

Solid book do recommend

>> No.11116266
File: 40 KB, 504x504, lillyalcohol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

beware. this is a very expensive hobby.
i would recommend the death and co. cocktail book to get started as it teaches you a lot about the proportions of modern cocktails
also get a bottle of maraschino liqueur and learn how to make gomme syrup. these are two "secret ingredients" that can be used to smooth out rough cocktails

p.s. there are two different types of vermouth and they aren't interchangeable. i learned this the hard way.

>> No.11116716

Post more crab gore pls

>> No.11116828

>>11116266
>two
>He doesn't know...

>> No.11117858
File: 1.42 MB, 3840x2160, DSC_0144_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Its possible OP

Im learning to make cocktails from a book, So far all but one have tasted great. The book is called 'around the world in 80 cocktails' i dont know how accurate the cocktails are to pro bartenders but pic related is a list of books and resources from the back of the book.

>> No.11117866

>>11115776
A lot of sweet ingredients and very little alcohol tastes good? Say it ain't so

>> No.11117891

it is entirely possible to pick it up by yourself from the internet and shit. same with cooking.

i don't know of any traditional books but liquid intelligence by dave arnold is really good.

>> No.11118392

>>11116216
Just purchased a used copy off Amazon to piss off my wife. Thanks anon

>> No.11118448

>>11117891
Liquid intelligence was one he had behind the bar. I'll give it a look

>> No.11118573

>>11118392
Yea it's great, my grandfather gave me the book lul, old as you can see

>> No.11119240

>>11115776
The best bartenders I have known were self taught, or learned "OJT", from a more experienced master bartender. Any true bartender worth their salt will always be experimenting with new drink mixes and flavors, to find something new, and make their specialty.
Most men want cocktails where you taste the booze "in your face", harsh slugs of booze. Women want something smoother and less harsh (unless she's a party animal crack whore doing tequila shots), hence, things like the Cosmo or the Apple-tini. Smoother, sweeter, goes down easy. Also, lighter drinks, with less booze, leaves you with a clearer head.
A true gentleman knows at least a few good cocktail recipes that will appeal to different tastes, even virgin drinks, for the under age, the tee-totalers, or those with medical reasons. Hmmm-is booze vegan? Just wondering.

>> No.11119271

>>11119240
>Hmmm-is booze vegan?

A serious vegan should abstain from alchohol. Remember the mantra is to avoid doing harm to animals whenever possible. Since alcohol is not required for survival, and because its manufacture necissarily impacts the enviornment one way or another, alcohol cannot be vegan. I.e. if land being cleared to grow grapes for wine then that necissarily harms the animals who would otherwise live there, and since we don't need wine to live it's a no-no.

Less strict vegans might be OK with the idea of booze (weak willed hypocrites) in general, but they object to certain things, like using islinglass as a fining agent in wine.

>> No.11120075

>>11119240
The man who served us her cocktails didn't even have a menu. He was like a skater dude that happened to be really good with drinks. You can tell looking at his shop he's not exactly super professional and then the fact that he has no menu. But that was cool I think because it let my lady tell him what she thinks she likes and he just comes out with something he thinks suits. He said the reason he doesn't have a menu is because he made a new one, handed her an old one, and said he can still make most of what's on it (I'm guessing he got rid of an ingredient that wasn't working or something) but then said he could take the thinking out of it if she could describe her taste.

I want to learn because that seems so cool. I already cook for very similar reasons, why not expand my knowledge? I love serving a dish where the recipient has to tell me how good it is, cocktails seem even easier in that they don't take as long as say a burger with a variety meat mix