[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 172 KB, 350x250, good_eats_alton_brown__logo_5967.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10956735 No.10956735 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /ck/. To put it simply, I don't know how to cook. I need to make up for lost time and hopefully get good at it.
I'm downloading Good Eats. Is it a nice starting point? Any other resources you recommend?

>> No.10956747

Alton is a great 101. ramsay ultimate cookery course is also good. Iron Chef is amazing for asian cooking.

>> No.10956776

Good Eats is nice for understanding why you do any given cooking method or add a specific ingredient. I don't love the recipes he gives most of the time, but it's a great way to understand what's happening to your food chemically and subsequently apply that knowledge to your own cooking.

>> No.10956785

First things first learn the basics. Learn how to cook eggs a few different ways. Learn how to cook your favorite piece of meat the way you like it. Learn how to make your favorite recipes.

>> No.10956791

As people have said it’s a great series to understand the science of cooking. He even has low budget props to help the more retarded understand. His build is yourself rigs are mostly where I get annoyed.

>> No.10956837

>>10956735
The biggest mistake new cooks make is that they substitute ingredients in a recipe they have never made before. Your intuition about what is good or is important is going to be wrong. Never cook a new recipe unless you have access to all the ingredients. You'll just do dumb things like substitute chicken breasts for chicken thighs.

>> No.10957295

>>10956735
you gotta start somewhere. this is as good as any.