[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 682 KB, 2033x3060, Flickr_preppybyday_4665999863--General_Tso's_Chicken.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10921640 No.10921640 [Reply] [Original]

so how come chinese dishes can't charge exhorbant prices like french cuisine? Maybe david chang is onto something, as many dishes are equally if not more complex compared to western dishes.

>> No.10921656

Don't want to lean myself too far out the window, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd say it's a mix of both the fact that asian food is seen as streetfood and people are used to low prices and see it as "cheap food", because "asia is cheap" so restaurant owners are afraid of losing customers. Just my thought tho.

>> No.10921665

>>10921640
Westernized chinese food is supposed to be cheap, whereas French food is seen as an expensive luxury. I don't think I've ever seen a casual French place in the West, they're always higher end restaurants.

And Chinese isn't exclusively cheap either. The delivery places are, but find a higher end Chinese place and it will be every bit as costly as French food. Many classic Chinese dishes are balls expensive.

Check out, say, Fook Lam Moon in Hong Kong. you can get a meal for under $10 US, or you could pay over a thousand USD.

>> No.10921682

>>10921665
>you could pay over a thousand USD
Shit, for that price I better be slurping chow mein out of a fifteen-year old HK prostitute's sloppy quim.

>> No.10921741

>>10921665
>I don't think I've ever seen a casual French place in the West, they're always higher end restaurants.

Yea, it's bullshit. French is the only cuisine represented almost exclusively by upscale restaurants. French is the exception here, not Chinese. You can find a range of Chinese restaurants, some dirt-cheap and some expensive, just like you can find for most other cuisines.

>> No.10921760

>>10921741
>French is the exception here, not Chinese
Right, that was my point.
If you go to France you'll find cheap places and you'll find expensive high-end places. But in most of the rest of the world it's high-end only.

The closest thing I can think of to inexpensive French food outside of France would be some of the French-inspired stuff in Vietnam, but that's not really the same thing.