[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 99 KB, 1001x1001, ceramic_knife_sharpener.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10622295 No.10622295 [Reply] [Original]

Help me out my fellow co/ck/s.

I'm getting a really nice chef's knife in the mail this week and I decided to drop some money on a knife sharpener. My old one is looking kind of bad and I wanted to know: does it matter what kind of knife sharpener I get? I figured I'd go on Amazon and look and I can find stuff as cheap as $8 and as expensive as all fuck. Is this a meme or am I better off getting something cheap since they're all the same?

I just don't want to buy something cheap and then have it rust on me after a few months.

>> No.10622319

>>10622295
Is it even reasonable to spend $30 on a knife sharpener? If you have some japanese made knife it would make sense but otherwise why wouldn't someone just buy one that's half as cheap?

>> No.10622330

if you actually have a nice knife, please for the love of god don't use a run-through sharpener, it will eventually destroy the edge of your knife. you can get a combination grit (2000/6000) whetstone off amazon for a comparable price. that's for actual sharpening, a honing rod like in your picture is for knife maintenance.

>> No.10622360

>>10622330
Well considering the knife I'm getting will be factory sharpened when it comes in I guess it's not a bad investment to get a honing rod. That being said, does the price and material of a honing rod matter at all? What's the difference between a Made in China $10 rod as opposed to a $80 ceramic rod crafted by an old man who lives in the Appalachians?

>> No.10622370

>>10622330

these people will just round off the edge even with a proper stone. You're talking to hopeless rabble that couldn't learn to sharpen a knife if their life hung in the balance.

>> No.10622378

This isn’t really a sharpener op. I’m assuming you’re trolling but as other anon said this is really meant for honing as you work. When you hone it softens out irregularity in the edge of the blade which also makes it more dull. Whetstone are somewhat try hard but a good electric costs over 200 so a stone is the cheaper option. Really though you will need multiple stones at different grit to sharpen with if you use a stone which should run somewhere about 120dollars for a diamond stone a honing stone and a mudblock and no a honing stone isn’t equivalent to a bar and if you use one wrong it will ruin an edge and make it even less sharp. This is just the start with carbon steel blades which are really made for delicate knife work desu.

>> No.10622380

>>10622370
Instead of deriding everyone's retarded ass why don't you try educating them?

>> No.10622393

>>10622378
I really didn't know that. I'm used to using stones for other knives but I always assumed that a honing rod would keep the edge of a blade because it was simply being used more often than one typically uses stones.

>> No.10622398

>>10622380

get a sharpening "system" that forces you to follow a bevel, or buy a chef's choice. Both will save you time and money in the long run. Also the single most important item to own is a strope with jeweler's rouge/polishing compound.

there. I helped.

>> No.10622649

>>10622378
>When you hone it softens out irregularity in the edge of the blade which also makes it more dull
Nonsense. Even microgroooved and ceramic hining rods have a slight abrasive effect which absolutely does sharpen the edge of the knife if you hold it at the correct angle. Ordinary honing steels with the rough and sharp grooves (the kind you find in any kitchen knife set) have the same effect to a larger degree but will tear the shit out of a knife edge and are only suited for the cheapest industrial butcher's and kitchen knives.

>> No.10622998

>>10622360
it sounds like you will be using this knife for personal cooking, i would encourage you to get a honing rod, something in the 10-15$ would be fine.
i would use this time to become comfortable at holding the blade at 15* angles while honing, as this will develop muscle memory for holding the blade at 15* on a whetstone eventually. you can get a knife shaving sharp on a 2000/6000 whetstone from amazon under 35$, I have done this with many brands and qualities of knife.
There is a joy in getting better and that is what's beautiful in the cooking world i encourage you on your journey!

>> No.10623037

>>10622378
You can get two combi grid stones for like 40$ and they work perfectly fine.

>> No.10623050

>>10623037

the stones work fine, your muscle memory might not be worth a shit.

most people can't keep their wrists from shifting and round the bevel. That cutting edge is terrible.

>> No.10623053

>>10623037

get one of these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL_S5NrW-v8

>> No.10623676
File: 130 KB, 612x612, toddler-hipster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10622295
Ask yourself, do you want to sharpen as a hobby, or do you just want "sharp enough"

If you just want "sharp enough" you want a machine. Unfortunately even a basic functional machine isn't cheap. A Chef's® Choice® AngleSelect® 1520® (now with extra Trivox®) is going to be your entry level option.

If you want to sharpen as a hobby (basically the mindset is, sharpening is the end goal, who cares about food), then your basic entry level option is a range of benchstones, a flattening plate, a stone bridge, a strop, a loupe, and a sharpie.

Best option for a beginner would be:

Kuromaku 320
Kuromaku 1000
Green Brick of Joy
Naniwa "Snow White" Jyunpaku 8000
Atoma 140 (for lapping)
Kanayama "50" strop

If you need to cheap out, then the poorfag workaround would be, for now:

Kuromaku 320
Kuromaku 1000
Green Brick of Joy
CKTG No-Name 150 lapping plate

You don't really need the 8k until you get better at sharpening and you can use an old belt for stropping, although it is rather embarrassing of course

But TBHQ the kind of stuff people cook around here, the Trivox® option and a thrift store Sabatier Au Carbone would be fine. Please do not get memed by the ATK memesters who will try and trick you into wasting money on a Victorinox. They are overpriced shit.

>>10622378
>I have no idea how knives work but I'll post a bunch of opinionated drivel anyway
Kill yourself

>> No.10624823

>>10622295
that's not a sharpener, it's a honing steel. they don't do the same thing. a honing steel is used before and after each job, to straighten the edge of the knife. a honing steel does not sharpen the knife.
a decent sharpening kit (depending on what steel your knife is) would run from around $30 to $60. wetstone for japanese steel and hard stone + oil for german steel.
a german steel knife will fuck up a wetstone, and a hard stone and oil will fuck up a japanese knife.

>> No.10624836

>>10624823
>all German steel is the same Rockwell hardness
Retard.

>> No.10624992
File: 5 KB, 277x182, zika.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10624823
>a german steel knife will fuck up a wetstone, and a hard stone and oil will fuck up a japanese knife.

>> No.10625102

I have had my jimmies rustled by the retarded things posted in knife sharpening threads but this thread is the most idiotic one I have ever seen. OP, you had better go have a look kitchenknifeforums.com, this here is useless

>> No.10626495

>>10625102
Kkf is literally just ads masquerading as real opinions

>> No.10626884

>>10622295
>Knife sharpener
IT IS A HONE
YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER

>> No.10626891

>>10626884
Why do knifefags insist that honing is separate from "sharpening"? It's an abrasive process that results in a sharper blade, so why not call it one of the many forms of sharpening?

>> No.10626913

>>10626891

Because if you actually knew anything you'd know that one is straightening the burr and the other is actually tearing that burr off altogether with abrasive.

Go read something for once, or don't, I don't give a shit.

>> No.10626919

>>10626891
A hone does not grind a new edge, it re-aligns a bent edge, and does not remove material
A sharpener grinds a new edge by removing material.