[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 15 KB, 500x326, sautepan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10550607 No.10550607 [Reply] [Original]

So my mom says that leaving our sautee pan on medium heat for too long will ruin the pan.
Is this a legit issue with some pans or is she bullshitting?
I don't know what type of material it is because i dont know shit about pans, i just know its silver inside and outside the pan. And for reference i was cooking chicken curry for 20 min when she came in halfway through cooking and straight turned my shit off.

>> No.10550628

>>10550607
If there was food in the pan there was no risk at all.

There are only two risks with heating pans:
-if you have old-fashioned tinned copper pans. Heating these, EMPTY, will melt the tin off the inside.
and
-leaving a nonstick pan on high heat when empty. The pan could get hot enough to damage the nonstick coating.

Neither of these are concerns for most pans, and also apply only to an empty pan. If there is food in the pan the food will burn long before any damage happens to the pan.

Your mom sounds like she's acting out of an over-abundance of caution.

>> No.10550641

>>10550628
It's a headache dude, this is the 3rd time she's done this type of thing
And each of the other times I knew for sure there was no problem, but i don't know as much about pans so thought id give her the benefit of the doubt and look into it.
Thanks for the reply

>> No.10550648

>>10550607
>i just know its silver inside and outside the pan.
Either aluminum or stainless. They can get discolored from extreme heat and possibly warp the bottom but other than that, you're not going to do much to them on a normal stove. Neither of those things actually pose a safety risk other than, you know, it being hot as fuck and the warping is only an issue if it's an electric stove where contact area is important.

A teflon pan you can definitely fuck up, maybe ceramic ones too but that's only if there's nothing in it, if it was full of something as wet as curry, it'd be fine on medium heat until it starts burning the food.

>> No.10551788

>>10550607
>cooking chicken curry for 20 min
Any dish with water in it will never let the pan get hotter than 100° Celsium/boiling point of said water. That is nothing to a stainless pan, begin to worry above 250°C, or when high temp frying oil begins to smoke white. Even then it wont be an issue if you avoid shicking the pan with cold water. Your mom is retarded.

>> No.10551802

>>10551788
>avoid shicking the pan
avoid shocking I meant

>> No.10553407

>>10550607
Your mom is retarded

>> No.10553442

Just echoing what the other anons have said. As long as you had curry (or other similar liquidish food) in the pan, it was not in any danger of damage. Heating a pan empty for a LONG time is potentially harmful to the pan, but they are designed to be cooked in, so normal cooking is not a danger to the pan at all.

Your mother is misinformed or confused about the causes of harm to her pans.

>> No.10553576

she's not wrong, but you'd have to leave it empty over heat for so long to damage it that I'd seriously question what you were doing

>> No.10554791
File: 35 KB, 590x348, Cheeky-New_Zealand-Kea1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If it's a nonstick also remember that extra heat left on will create fumes that'll kill nearby birdos.

>> No.10554825

>>10550607
Why the fuck do you live with your parents?
Intelligent people's life goes like this:
1. Leave home at age 18 for a distant university.
2. Graduate and get a job, possibly marry, and definitely get your own place.
3. Visit mom once a year for some Hallmark holiday, while living your own dream life
See the part about 18? You're either a total loser, or underage and banned. Identify yourself immediately.

>> No.10554836

>>10554825
>getting married immediately
Without exception, people who do this are fat fucking uggos

>> No.10554860

>>10554836
That was the only optional step. The rest of it was MANDATORY.
But really, snag yourself a hot, intelligent, college educated chick before its too late. They evaporate quickly after graduation, and you're left with two choices: single mother,s and as you said, "fat fucking uggos".

>> No.10554875

>>10554825
The amount of posts containing the consecutive words "my mom" in this place make me believe at least 50% is underage b& material. Why else would there be so many fast food threads?

>> No.10555228

Women don't know shit about cooking.