[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 220 KB, 1600x800, Prosciutto_Panini.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10539230 No.10539230 [Reply] [Original]

A review of a Publix Prosciutto Sandwich.

As I jaunted through the holy aisles of Publix after an accident with my Uber Driver, I knew what my goal would be: a nice, European style sandwich, primed with a nice slice of French Sourdough, some Prosciutto, Arugula, Cheese and Olive Oil.

I first started on the left side of the store, where I obtained 3 Bananas and 1 Bag of Arugula. As I strolled through the back of the store, I couldn’t help but dream of purchasing some fine shrimps, but chose not to, as I already was purchasing some high-quality ingredients. I got a bit antsy to turn to the Deli area in which typically contains the bread and higher quality meats, so I strolled through aisle 3, in which had the various sweet sandwich spreads. I had no remorse selecting a Publix brand Crunchy Peanut Butter and a Smuckers Grape Jelly.

I took a left, putting me back at the beginning of the store, and facing towards the holy grail of any Publix: the Bakery and Pub-Sub bars. I crossed the stores of Gatorade, and visually scanned the meats near the deli- the lucky packages that were selected to join my shopping basket would be a Boars Head Prosciutto and a Boars Head Salami.

My head rocketed right as my heart fluttered- it was time to find my bread. Pouring over what I hoped to be the freshest loaves, I selected a French Sourdough. Turning back, satisfied with myself, I near tripped on a lace I had not tied correctly, and in doing so, knocked into a shelf. This shelf contained Publix brand hummus- I purchased one, as I did not mean to disrespect the shelf. Walking just steps forward, I chose an Aged Cheddar for my cheese.

40 Dollars left my wallet, but hope filled my heart. Time for a week worth of beautiful sandwiches.

>> No.10539235
File: 122 KB, 1200x674, storefrontpublixmillerroad*1200xx4500-2531-0-535.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hitched a ride to my house from my friend Vincent (shoutout to you, my friend!) and I got to work. I first put an old ribbed pan on high heat with no oil or butter- once it began smoking I placed some unlubed bread on top, just to get a sense of crispness inside. I then spread some Irish Unsalted butter I had in my fridge on the bread. Opening the bag of Arugula, I smelled the bitterness of the half green half herb.

The toasted bread was given a blanket of arugula, and I laid 2 slices of Prosciutto onto the sandwich, with 4 slices of salami, and a drizzle of Olive oil I had in the pantry. On goes the top slice of bread, and Wa La! A beautiful sandwich.

I picked up the loaf with both hands, and quickly bit the first bite- the first three went well when suddenly something had gone amiss. I noticed an overwhelming sense of both Funk and Salt. I recognized it to be a combination of the Salami and Cheese- I clearly had not chosen the correct cheese for my sandwich. I took off the disappointment of a cheese but realized I still wanted a little ‘funk’ on there.

Remember earlier, when I told you I had bumped into the Hummus Shelf? Well, ,god maybe it was an act Go because a quick spread of Hummus on the bread left the funk I needed to complete the sandwich. It still remained a salty sandwich, and the Salami overpowered the Prosciutto (luckily I still have 6 more strips)

I was satisfied with about half the sandwich, the rest of which I disposed of (because I am a fat fuck who needs to lose weight this was a triumph for me) and decided to whip out my PB&J as a celebration. A spoon of PB, a spoon of J, and 6 slices of this morning B(anana), and it hit the spot. No complaints on the second sandwich.

>> No.10539240
File: 206 KB, 640x426, Sandwich.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As an overview-

Publix French Bread Sourdough: 7/10, but as far as Miami standards go, it’s my fault for not getting a cuban loaf which is all they know how to make

Publix Crunchy PB: 9/10, great PB
Smuckers Jelly: 7/10, too processed

Publix Arugula: 10/10, exactly as how I like my Arugula

Boars Head Prosciutto: 7/10, not nearly as good as Prosciutto from Spain, but how could I ask for that.

Boars Head Salami: 6/10, too salty, not enough snap

Boars Head Aged Cheddar: 5/10, all salt, no funk.

Publix Hummus: 8/10, saved my sandwich.

Thank you for the read.

>> No.10539593

>>10539240
This is just factually incorrect. Salt is one of the superior flavors and if you're too much of a soft pussy to understand this, then you should never have the luxury of eating salami again. There have been wars fought over the precious commodity of salt and the flavor that it provides, and the fact that you just take this for granted and claim that your salami was "too salty" is just fucking offensive to me.

>> No.10539602
File: 2.89 MB, 1920x1080, 1517183367313.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10539230
publix subs aren't that great

t. floridian

>> No.10539816

Pro tip: if you order a prosciutto sub with double meat it ends up being less per pound than just buying the meat. Learned this trick when I worked there.

>> No.10541109

>>10539602
how are wawa sandwiches? they just built one near me

>> No.10541150

>>10541109
They are okay. People love to suck off Wawa for some reason that I don't really understand. In the fall, or close to Thanksgiving, they do have a sandwich called "The Gobbler" that's is a must get.
>turkey
>stuffing
>cranberry sauce
>gravy
>sub bun
I work nights and there is a Wawa near the hospital so I eat there pretty often. Nothing is really a stand out. They're cheesesteaks suck really bad, Meatball sub is decent, Italian subs and their clubs are okay. They have panininis that are interesting in design, but they aren't made very well.

>> No.10541186

>>10541150
is it better or worse than publix?

>> No.10541241

>>10541186
Publix just started opening stores in my city. I've only been once, and didn't get any prepared food, so I can't say. I would say I've heard good things, but like I said before, people also said a lot of good things about wawa.

>> No.10541287
File: 139 KB, 570x768, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10539230

Do you even realize how strangely non european is a sandwich like that?

>put some damn oregano, tomato and similars
>better quality hams, let's search them
>cheese. It makes or break the sandwich, not just a 'funk' or 'salty' ornament
Rocket or a salad are also helpful, but I hate rocket. Grew among rocket, still hate that metallic taste of blood.

>> No.10541309

>>10541287
I think google translate let you down this time man.

>> No.10541425

>>10541287
This post reads like an acid flashback

>> No.10541671

you're no reviewbrah

>> No.10541728

>>10541150
Pub Subs are better, but I think Wawa's appeal is you can get decent food at all hours.

>> No.10541732

Public notice: All publix's will steam their shrimp for you on the spot w/ your choice of seasoning for just the per pound price. Being able to eat a pound of fresh wild Florida key shrimp for like 7 bucks is one of the Floridians best gifts.