[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.88 MB, 4032x3024, 8E63A946-F5FB-400B-B3A9-9FA2FBB69EDB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10211745 No.10211745 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /ck/. I’m participating in a chili cook off and I just wanna see what you guys think of the recipe.

Rollin with a white chicken chili. I’m brining three whole birds in 50/50 water and corona, I think like it end up being like 5-6 quarts worth. A whole head of garlic cut in half, a cup of salt, two limes zested and juiced and then thrown in, a large sweet vidalia onion cut in half, a poblano pepper cut in half, 1 bunch cilantro and 3 sprigs of oregano.

Brining overnight, pic related.

Method is to truss and smoke those birds low at 250 until I get a breast temp of 155. Gonna let rest and then take the breasts off the birds. (Gonna save the other cuts for different uses probably for dinner tonight.)

Gonna take those carcasses and make a chicken stock using corn cobbs from the white corn that I’m grill charring for the actual chili, and 2 onions and a couple stalks of celery.

Actual base of the chili will be julienned Spanish onions, charred white corn and I think like 3-4 poblanos large diced (maybe will add more). 4 cloves of garlic diced. All that sweated until i get a decent fond but not too dark fond and then deglaze with the stock. Then throw in the chicken that’s been fairly small diced and left with the skin on, and a sachet of cilantro and oregano. A couple cups of cream, some ground cumin and cayenne pepper and salt TT. Let simmer for a while and skim the shit out of it for about an hour.

Going to serve it in a 1-2 ounce thing, haven’t decided on a vessel yet. Putting a whipped queso fresco that’s fairly thin, kind of going for a midly thick and airy but still pours kind of consistency on top, along with lime zest, a little leaf of cilantro and a small sprinkle of espellette spice or like ancho chili spice or something on top. Just to get some nice color.

Throughts? Also I don’t particularly like beans so this one will be for the no-bean chili lovers for sure.

>> No.10211759

>>10211745
>white chicken chili.
You will lose. The winning recipe will be chunks of beef chuck slowly braised in onion and a couple types of reconstituted dried chili peppers, and probably little else beyond salt. Gimmicks do not win these contests.

>> No.10211760

>>10211745
Mate, that sounds more like a hella good chicken soup. Just doesna sound like a chili.

>> No.10211765

>>10211760
I mean it’s pretty similar to all of the other chicken chili recipes that I looked up. Or are you just saying chicken chili in general is just soup.

>> No.10211772

>>10211759
Oh I know, but I’m gonna make what fits what I like and express my palate. I anticipate something not totally different than hormel winning.

>> No.10211790

>>10211772
Rarely is the winner made with ground beef unless all the stewed beef versions really suck. My bro found that out last weekend. His chili is very good, but it didn't even place in the competition. He uses ground beef instead of chuck stew meat. Hard to win going that route.

>> No.10211797

>>10211790
For what it’s worth it’s not a full blown event. Just a big ass local church here in town that’s raising money for some needy ass family or something.

>> No.10211827

>>10211797
My bro's was a small town thing at the local brewpub. But it doesn't matter. This shit is a siren's call for big middle aged guys who like dicking around in the kitchen. And like you my bro believed an elaborate process would build layers of flavor and result in a superior chili. But what people forget is that chili was a cowboy dish. If it doesn't taste like something that could be made over a campfire you're doing it wrong.

>> No.10211840

>>10211745
Sounds delicious, hope you win. Fuck beans

>> No.10211855

>>10211827
I totally understand what you’re getting at. I’m just not one of those guys. I worked in a fancy hipster kitchen for a couple years and beat into me that anything other than something deeply technical and complicated and beyond what everyone else does is trash. It’s a fucking burden.

>> No.10211860

>>10211765
>Or are you just saying chicken chili in general is just soup.
Yeah, I'm sorry, but yeah...it sounds more like a chicken soup or a stew. I give you mad props for your brew but that's just not a chili for me. That's what I'd say as a judge. But I did save your recipe, so props there.

>> No.10211875

>>10211860
Well that makes me feel good about what I’m presenting then Lolol

>> No.10211884

>>10211745
I made some chicken soup last night, too.

To me chili has some form of redness in it, be it from the meat, tomato paste, etc. Yours is a hearty damn soup at best, but I'd eat the shit out of it.

Maybe give it a whirl at a soup thing sometime and see how many blue ribbons you walk away with?

>> No.10211915

>>10211875
>>10211884
>To me chili has some form of redness in it, be it from the meat, tomato paste, etc.
See, this is why I've said soup or stew. Chili is chili.

>> No.10211924

>>10211855
>anything other than something deeply technical and complicated and beyond what everyone else does is trash.
Understand. I've been close to the business (wine sales) so I have a few restaurateur friends. And I appreciate that when I'm spending splurge money to eat out - I appreciate techniques and ingredients out of reach to the average home cook being used, because I like feeling that part of what I'm paying for is to eat food I couldn't/wouldn't make at home.

But as a home cook I can be a total purist, and I usually lean in that direction. So when I look at chili I see a 19th Century dish eaten by Germanic cowboys around the time Austria ruled Mexico. Basically Hungarian Pörkölt made with hot chilies instead of sweet paprika. So that's what I'd shoot for.

>> No.10212189

Lol well fuck you guys, white chicken chili is a thing and you’ll deal with it. Thanks for the feedback.

>> No.10212203

>>10212189
>white chicken chili is a thing and you’ll deal with it.
Of course it is, but you already know the deal. You said it very well here:
>>10211772
>I anticipate something not totally different than hormel winning.