[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 21 KB, 645x773, 1517148222101.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10055855 No.10055855 [Reply] [Original]

How hard can following a recipe be?

>> No.10055874

>>10055855
most people are actually very stupid. they think they know how to do things but really they have no idea what they are doing. and they resist learning about it in any way

>> No.10055873

>>10055855
because pic related

>> No.10055876
File: 41 KB, 645x729, 1496376240719.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Some people can't follow simple instructions, which is why they fail at life in general.

>> No.10055881

>>10055855
>following a recipe
ull never gonna make it, beta cuck

>> No.10055900

>>10055855
my fiance could burn water

>> No.10056177

Not how I think or feel about it, but from friends it breaks down to

>decide to learn to cook something
>recipe calls for me to do things I don't understand
>look up how to do those things
>fuck them up when I try for the first time
>recipe ruined

People don't like wasting ingredients to experiment in the kitchen, and they definitely don't like how much time it takes to prep ingredients and definitely dislike the number of dishes a seemingly-innocent recipe can produce.

In the US there's been a shitty downward trend in parenting- parents just provide for their children, don't explain anything, don't help them understand themselves or life in general, and definitely don't pass along any useful or required skills, then wonder why their kid doesn't know how a mortgage works or how to cook meals for themselves. I'm not excusing the kids for not finding out on their own, but at least give people who don't already know but are trying a chance, like fatties in the gym.

>> No.10056315

>>10055855
Cooking is like developing any other skill. It requires patience and practice. My dad has the desire to learn to cook but he lacks the patience and expects to be an expert right away, so he gets frustrated when his dishes don't turn out right and gives up.

Cooking, unlike baking, also requires creativity and a good palate. You need to learn which flavors and textures synergize well. Baking is more of a science, anyone can bake if they can follow a recipe.

Once you have a solid foundation you can ditch recipes and measuring tools altogether, aside from dishes that require exact amounts of certain ingredients (usually baked goods and candies).

I believe anyone with half a brain can become a good cook through years of trial and error.

>> No.10056707

>>10055855
Just because you can cook doesn't mean your food is good, OP.

>> No.10056715

recipes !== technique

>> No.10056733

>>10055855

Following a recipe =/= cooking.

>> No.10056744

>>10055855
Same way some people can’t paint... just paint what you see.

>> No.10058248

>>10055855
You'd be surprised. Go onto Allrecipes or something, find a highly rated recipe, then go look at the 1-star reviews for the recipe.
>I DIDN'T HAVE ANY OF A SO I SUBSTITUTED B
>I DIDN'T HAVE ANY OF X SO I SUBSTITUTED Y
>I DON'T LIKE Z SO I LEFT IT OUT
>I DIDN'T HAVE THE RIGHT SIZE DISH SO I USED A 13X9 INSTEAD OF A 9X9
>I DON'T HAVE AN OVEN SO I USED A TOASTER OVEN INSTEAD
>FOR SOME REASON IT CAME OUT ALL GROSS AND NOTHING LIKE THE PICTURE!
>1 STAR

>> No.10058264

>>10055855
Based on my coworker's fuckups, this is what I have observed:
A) They look up a recipe online, but have no experience with the ingredients in question, resulting in some ungodly concoction
See: Matcha and Avocado Boba Tea.
B) They follow the recipe... and then they don't follow the recipe, adding in ingredients that they again, don't have experience with, so the ratios are wrong, or the flavors don't mesh, again resulting in an ungodly concoction.

People new to cooking seem to be ridiculously overzealous to trying new things and breaking the mold. Sometimes it's tastier to fill out the mold before expanding past it.

>> No.10058284

Either due to simple lack of fucks given or general ineptitude/carelessness in actually cooking.

I learned cooking by grilling first. The first steak I made was charcoal on the outside and raw inside. Then I realized "Maybe blasting the heat on the barbecue isn't the greatest idea" then it was "Okay now it's well cooked but bland" then "Hey, this spice works better than this one".

Then you get good. Just by learning rather simple techniques and flavour pairings you can build with that knowledge and gradually gain more and more skill and pretty soon, people start asking you to cook for them.

>> No.10058310

>>10058284
Barbecue is a lot more complicated when you have to handle the fire by yourself, probably too complicated without having someone tell you how shit works.
But I guess anyone with the balls and the interest in playing with fire is eventually going to learn how to use fire optimally.
I'd rather avoid taking the expensive route though.

>> No.10058429
File: 34 KB, 525x297, IMG_1672.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10058310
I learned it because my mom memed me into it because she told me girls thought that guys who can cook are attractive.

Any 17 year old male with functional testicles is going to learn that shit forward and back if there's an opportunity of getting pussy out of it.

>mfw lost virginity after cooking my girlfriend lunch (Steak, baked mini potatoes and grilled vegetables)
>mfw mom was right

>> No.10058439

>>10058248
This.
>I left out the eggs and butter cuz my vegan yoga teacher told me eating them is evil
>Oh my God worst dish ever it tasted like ass so I get it to my dog and my husband beat me 1/10 stars
Like the guy who's friend said to fix his engine with sea foam, he didn't have any so he used expanding foam instead.